Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Quick motor explanation please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2008, 05:54 PM   #1

Default Quick motor explanation please

Can someone explain to me why a 55 turn motor is slower than a 45 turn motor?

I'm relatively new to crawling and I've never dealt with motor speeds before, my friend was telling me a 45 turn motor is slower than a 55 turn but I'm almost 100% positive the 55 turn is the slower motor, I just couldnt explain to him why.

I dont need anything too detailed, but a good explanation would be great. I searched this forum already and dont see the answer.
Recty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2008, 06:15 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

A 55 turn motor has more winds than a 45 turn motor. The more winds a motor has, the more torque it has. So a 55t will be slower with more torque than a 45t. But once you change brands or go to a handwound, this is not always true. From what I have heard, the handwounds like Holmes hobbies and JP Customs 35 turns have more torque and alot more wheel speed than a 55t integy.

I am sure that one of the motor guru's will come in and explain it a little better.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:20 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

On a side note, power wise, would say a 45 turn handwound give me better performance than say the 45 turn integy v11. I am coming from a 7t puller motor and love the speed, but hate the runtime and will need 2 for my my next crawler, and would hate the runtime from 2 puller motors and the mongo battery they would need.
tedmales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:29 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmales View Post
On a side note, power wise, would say a 45 turn handwound give me better performance than say the 45 turn integy v11. I am coming from a 7t puller motor and love the speed, but hate the runtime and will need 2 for my my next crawler, and would hate the runtime from 2 puller motors and the mongo battery they would need.

The handwounds are going to use more power than the integys I believe. But they should be better than the puller motor.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:50 PM   #5
Custom Carbon Fiber

Handwound vs Machine

Handwound is more uniform wind and each pole should have the same amount of wire on them. Machines just wrap the wire at contolled rate but not uniform way. When doing that you may get one pole that actually has more or less wiring causing more or less resistance in that pole. That alone effects alot in performance.

Handwounds can be ( when done right ) balanced better meaning less material needs to be drilled out of the arm. Drilling arms can actually increase rpms but decrease overall power/torque. ( we use to do it in 12scale years ago with solid arms to get amps down and R's up. ) For those who epoxy balance Handwounds will require less epoxy then machine wounds meaning less drag/weight on the arm.

Handwounds also tend to step wire gauge up on some since the uniform winds let you pack them tighter and neater. Increased wire gauge can bring more power/torque.

And yes HW will pull more on a pack then a machine from increased performance/amp draw but theres a line with tuning and gaining your efficiency so you dont lose/waist motor or battery.

Im not that good in technical terms so maybe Holmes or Des can help, those are just my explanations the best i can say.

Last edited by Robbob; 09-15-2008 at 07:53 PM.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:26 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Dude, the search function is your friend!
dont slow down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:29 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

The 55t is slower and has less overall power than the 45t. The 45t will require a smaller pinion than a 55t to get the same bottom end pull as the 55t as it makes it's power higher up in the RPM's. The 45t will have less runtime as the extra power puts more of a drain on the batteries.
Jack Smash is offline   Reply With Quote