Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Brakes fading......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2008, 04:39 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Brakes fading......

I read the "definitive" thread about keeping motors clean and what not but I didn't really find my answer. I have noticed my brakes have started to fade a good bit while sitting on a slope. Are the brushes going bad? Is it a dirty comm? I know its not the batteries and I would not know if it was the ESC (I have to assume it's not). What else other than motor spray is needed to clean everything. When should the brushed be replaced?
chops1sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2008, 04:52 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I don't like to spray motor clean on my com, if thats what your doing it could be part of your problem. When you spray it on the com it gets on the brushes and dries the oil out of them.

What ESC are you using?
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I haven't sprayed anything on it. I haven't touched it since I put it in, lol. It's the Novak rooster Crawl combo.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:02 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

As the brushes wear down and the springs heat and cool the springs loose a little bit of their effectiveness, and do not push the brush "as hard" against the comm.

Also the brush wearing in against the comm makes for a smoother contact, and you end up with a motor that will spin a little more free which kills your drag brake some.

Clean the comm, clean the brushes. Remove the brushes and wipe the faces down with a rag and some motor spray, spray out the motor. If the brushes are much shorter than when you first purchased the motor, replace them.

Springs lose tension from heat cycling. Each time the motor gets hot and cools off they will loose a little tension. You can adjust the spring by bending it so that it will create more tension against the brush. You bend the part of the spring that clips to above the brush hood.

If your in doubt about bending the spring, replace them. Buy Trinity black springs.

-Wes
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:28 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Thanks! That's the info I was looking for! Sounds like I will be taking my motor apart when I rebuild my crawler this week!