Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: batteries

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2008, 12:49 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default batteries

so i cant find the info im lookin for. i curently have a 6 and a 7 cell split packs from tcs (2/3A 1500 mAh NiMh). they are burning out and its time for new batteries. i would like to get a little more run time and power out of my batteries as im running a JR stering servo with 330oz of tourque and a hitek 645mg for dig that take a lot of my power away from the 55t motor. i also am running a rooster crawler

my question is, would i get more power and longer run time out of a 4500mAh sub C battery pack? and if so who has those batteries in stock? everywhere i find them they are out of stock. i would go lipo but its expensive and i just got a new charger for my other batteries. also with lipo's i dont really dont understand the whole charging with ballencers and discharge rate mumbo jumbo. if someone could explain that or point me to a website that explains it in plain english then i might ponny up and go lipo.

Last edited by jpcherokeekid; 09-21-2008 at 12:55 PM.
jpcherokeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2008, 06:05 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Sub-C's are too large for a 2.2 comper. The Elite1500 split pack is the most widely used pack for crawlers. You shouldn't have issues with them because they are the best 2/3A on the market. If you have the little crappy white Tamiya connector then that can cause problems. As well as not charging correctly. Lipos are great permitting you buy good ones from a good name brand. But they are not always needed. In my signature there are some battery buying tips that may be of some help. The Elite4500's are dis-continued... Stick with the Elite1500's and you shouldn't have problems. They have more than enough power for a crawler. The only thing you will notice out of a sub-c cell is more weight, space consumption, and runtime.
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:59 PM   #3
RCC Addict

the 2/3 cells are nice because of their size, but because of the current draw on them they do have a short life. but lucky enough they are relatively cheap
emaxxjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:27 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

thanks for the info guys, i might just go lipo for my comp rig but i will stick with nMh batteries for my scaler. my biggest proble was at the jph comp on saturday everytime my wheels got bound up it stalled the motor. it wasnt doing that before so thats why im pretty sure my year old batteries have burned out.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:51 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Li-po's are great man. I will never go back to nmh. Imo they are far more reliable than 2/3a cells.I ran 1320 mah packs for a while, and was getting 45 min plus easy. I could run a full comp, let it sit for 2 weeks, and when I go to charge it for the next comp it still shows over 8 volts. No cycling, no peaking between rounds, no heat, no problems. You will get much more life from a li-po than from 2/3a in my experience, and they only cost a few bucks more if that.
fatbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:58 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
Li-po's are great man. I will never go back to nmh. Imo they are far more reliable than 2/3a cells.I ran 1320 mah packs for a while, and was getting 45 min plus easy. I could run a full comp, let it sit for 2 weeks, and when I go to charge it for the next comp it still shows over 8 volts. No cycling, no peaking between rounds, no heat, no problems. You will get much more life from a li-po than from 2/3a in my experience, and they only cost a few bucks more if that.
i know the 2/3A pack are only supposed to last 4-5 months, but what is the life expectancy of a lipo?
Old 09-22-2008, 08:21 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

If you treat them right, hundreds of cycles.
fatbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:07 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcherokeekid View Post
i know the 2/3A pack are only supposed to last 4-5 months, but what is the life expectancy of a lipo?

Who says that? I have my original elites I bought last Jan. 07' still running strong. It started as an 8 cell but I lost one cell to the battery devils, so I rebuilt the remaining 7 cells and it works fine. FROM WHAT I HAVE BEEN TOLD, THE QUALITY OF YOUR CHARGER WILL HAVE A GREAT AFFECT ON THE LIFE EXPECTANCY OF YOUR BATTERY'S
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:25 PM   #9
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Thats right, the charger and the abuse they take has a lot to do with battery life. Charge em slow, and don't use too much motor and they last a long time. Good quality lipos last a long time too, hundreds of cycles. Crappy lipos don't last 30 cycles generally. Abused quality lipos don't last long either.

Treat them well and they will last.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:25 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
Who says that? I have my original elites I bought last Jan. 07' still running strong. It started as an 8 cell but I lost one cell to the battery devils, so I rebuilt the remaining 7 cells and it works fine. FROM WHAT I HAVE BEEN TOLD, THE QUALITY OF YOUR CHARGER WILL HAVE A GREAT AFFECT ON THE LIFE EXPECTANCY OF YOUR BATTERY'S

It says that right on CKRC's web site. anyways im using the MRC Super Brain 960 Charger. isnt that a good charger?

I probly just have a dead cell in my pack then because it charges fine, never gets hot, but it doesnt have the power it used to. and i am charging the pack as per the instructions with the charger.