Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 4PK Setups, Tips, Tricks and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 12:45 PM   #181
RCC Addict

Quick question relating to using 2 FXR's with the 4PK. When connecting the two esc's battery wiring, can I use 1 capacitor or do I need to use 2 capicitors? Thats the only question for now. I will have to redo all my wiring on my Berg now....only 1 week before Omaha
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2009, 12:49 PM   #182
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightcs77 View Post
Quick question relating to using 2 FXR's with the 4PK. When connecting the two esc's battery wiring, can I use 1 capacitor or do I need to use 2 capicitors? Thats the only question for now. I will have to redo all my wiring on my Berg now....only 1 week before Omaha
I used two but that was just to be conservative. I would probably shoot Ty@tekin a PM and see if he will chime in here on the subject.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:39 PM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
I used two but that was just to be conservative. I would probably shoot Ty@tekin a PM and see if he will chime in here on the subject.
Used 2 myself, works just fine. You could probably use one, but you would probably need to resize it. If you PM Ty, let us know what he has to say, I'm interested in the answer. Thanks.
whoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:54 PM   #184
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

You want the caps as close to the FETs as possible, so use one cap per speed control.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:44 AM   #185
I wanna be Dave

THIS IS A GREAT THREAD!!
I hope it is stickeyed?

I just used this how to to set-up my dads killer krawler...(super style)
this guide worked great!!! and the vids just sealed the deal! his rig is ready to go with not that much time into programing...I never even opened the 4pk maunal all my info came from here it was kinda over whelming at first but now that I have read this thread and gone through everything I realize it is SUPER easy and user friendly......I'm thinking I may sell my DX3r now
thanks to all who contrubuted!
53 willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:00 AM   #186
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53 willys View Post
THIS IS A GREAT THREAD!!
I hope it is stickeyed?

I just used this how to to set-up my dads killer krawler...(super style)
this guide worked great!!! and the vids just sealed the deal! his rig is ready to go with not that much time into programing...I never even opened the 4pk maunal all my info came from here it was kinda over whelming at first but now that I have read this thread and gone through everything I realize it is SUPER easy and user friendly......I'm thinking I may sell my DX3r now
thanks to all who contrubuted!
Thanks man, go read the manual though it helps a ton! Just go put it in the batroom and read it over a week or something

I am not surprised at all at how many spektrum people want to switch after reading about or using a 4pk/3pk
Old 03-05-2009, 09:13 AM   #187
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
Thanks man, go read the manual though it helps a ton! Just go put it in the batroom and read it over a week or something

I am not surprised at all at how many spektrum people want to switch after reading about or using a 4pk/3pk
Yup I brought my manual to class and read it front to back before I started messing with anything. Really helped!

I know of quite a few guys locally switching as well. I wouldn't be such an expert on it if it wasn't for you Josh
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:35 AM   #188
"HOLLYWOOD"

Sorry to Hijack this real quick but great great forum wish there was a spektrum dx3r one like this.
Sorry.
Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:45 AM   #189
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini View Post
Sorry to Hijack this real quick but great great forum wish there was a spektrum dx3r one like this.
Sorry.
Before I upgraded to the 4PK I found this thread useful.

VF Dig and Your DX3R....

The DX3R just doesn't have as many options for programming so there isn't as much info. It is pretty standard, 3 position 3rd channel and EPA's are about the extent of what is typically used on it.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:38 PM   #190
Quarry Creeper

My LHS called today and my 4PK was in. I dont know if anyone has mentioned this but they are running a special now where they give you a second RX for free. SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!

I am charging it tonight and setting it up tomorrow.
69CrazyHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:21 AM   #191
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69CrazyHorse View Post
My LHS called today and my 4PK was in. I dont know if anyone has mentioned this but they are running a special now where they give you a second RX for free. SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!

I am charging it tonight and setting it up tomorrow.
Post up and let us know what you think about it.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:16 AM   #192
RCC Addict

Default this is gonna hurt

ok harley you talked me into a 4pk, got set it up and love it. Sensor is in the closet as a back up, DX3r and the two 3100,s going on the market. My big question today is have you tried to bind the 4pk with the spectrum recievers?
hbj069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:17 AM   #193
Quarry Creeper

"Just go put it in the bathroom and read it over a week or something :grin:"

Ha! This is exactly where i leave my 4pk manual!!! i do my best reading here!!
billysnarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:45 PM   #194
RCC Addict

Okay guys, got it all wired up and using Harley's latest setup. Worked good before hooking it up. After wiring ) all the electronics, the front motor does not turn as early as the rear motor. Here is the set up.

2 FXR's (same programming on each)
2 HH 35T motors
CC BEC plugged into channel 2
13 gauge wire all around
3 cell 2500 mAh lipo

I put the battery connection at the half way point between the two speedos.

To correct the difference, I ended up sub trimming the front and rear and now it seems okay. Should I have to do this or do I have something a little out of whack?

Can't wait to get some trigger time in.

Oh yeah, how do I get the dials so they can never be negative? Right now if you roll them too far back, front wheels go forward and rear wheels go backwards....hate to have that happen in the heat of battle....lol.
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:24 PM   #195
Im Brandon

Not sure why you are having that issue with the motors. Just to make sure, you did plug in one FXR at a time and program it with the throttle correct?

To troubleshoot try swapping the motors from the front esc to the rear, that will eliminate the motors which I highly doubt is the problem.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:40 PM   #196
20K Club

I was helping someone else out with this same issue. I have never had an issue programming either of my 2 trucks with twin FXR's. He ended up sub-trimming his as well. I just don't understand what the issue is

One thing to try, program the throttle positions at the same time for both RX's.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:47 PM   #197
Quarry Creeper

I set mine up today. Seemed very simple. I am running a shafty so I didnt need to worry about mixing. I liked how I could set the point values per dial. I set my Dig to DT-3 with a 30 point value. It always starts in 4X4, hit the button once it goes to freewheel, hit it again and it locks the rear. Than just click the opposite button to sequence back through the other modes.

No little glitches like I was getting from my FM M8. It was 6 years old, rode hard, and put away wet.

I was a little surprised about the battery life though. A set of duracells in my M8 would last me weeks of casual use. I charged it all night last night so it was at 7.3 volts this morning. After having it on for about 1 hour the thing had dropped to 6.5 volts. I believe the alarm sounds at 5 volts. So I am guessing the battery will last about 3 hours. Maybe this is normal for internal packs. I dont know I always used store bought batteries.

Overall I am very satisfied with it so far. We will see how it performs in competition tomorrow.
69CrazyHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:55 PM   #198
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69CrazyHorse View Post
I set mine up today. Seemed very simple. I am running a shafty so I didnt need to worry about mixing. I liked how I could set the point values per dial. I set my Dig to DT-3 with a 30 point value. It always starts in 4X4, hit the button once it goes to freewheel, hit it again and it locks the rear. Than just click the opposite button to sequence back through the other modes.

No little glitches like I was getting from my FM M8. It was 6 years old, rode hard, and put away wet.

I was a little surprised about the battery life though. A set of duracells in my M8 would last me weeks of casual use. I charged it all night last night so it was at 7.3 volts this morning. After having it on for about 1 hour the thing had dropped to 6.5 volts. I believe the alarm sounds at 5 volts. So I am guessing the battery will last about 3 hours. Maybe this is normal for internal packs. I dont know I always used store bought batteries.

Overall I am very satisfied with it so far. We will see how it performs in competition tomorrow.

The pack voltage seems to drop off the peak voltage fairly quick but seems to slow after that. I probably get at least 4 hours out of mine. You can get the Trinity upgrade pack which will extend the runtime and make the radio about 6 grams lighter.

I am working on a Lipo pack mod right now too
Old 03-07-2009, 11:03 PM   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightcs77 View Post
Okay guys, got it all wired up and using Harley's latest setup. Worked good before hooking it up. After wiring ) all the electronics, the front motor does not turn as early as the rear motor. Here is the set up.

2 FXR's (same programming on each)
2 HH 35T motors
CC BEC plugged into channel 2
13 gauge wire all around
3 cell 2500 mAh lipo

I put the battery connection at the half way point between the two speedos.

To correct the difference, I ended up sub trimming the front and rear and now it seems okay. Should I have to do this or do I have something a little out of whack?

Can't wait to get some trigger time in.

Oh yeah, how do I get the dials so they can never be negative? Right now if you roll them too far back, front wheels go forward and rear wheels go backwards....hate to have that happen in the heat of battle....lol.
Couple things that you should keep in mind, motors will almost never be the same, there are manufacturing differences which make the performance of every motor "unique". Also, the gearcase on your axles could be tighter in the front than the rear, and vice versa (they were on my axles). Lastly, you set the gear mesh, there is the possibility that one is tighter than the other. In the case of small pinions, the gear mesh quality is worse the smaller the gears for any given pitch.

Given all of that, I almost never have a 1:1 front to rear drive ratio. I do run 1 less tooth on the rear pinion than in the front, but even so, I have less than awsome motors and I am sure that makes a difference, in fact, I run different brush springs on the front and rear motors.

I too have my battery leads equidistant from the speed controls. My opinion on wire size is that theoretically, a longer wire will have higher resistance than a smaller one, but as far as the motors are concerned, the difference in resistance of the front and rear motor wires is negligable, however I am super picky, and I do it equal, sometimes, if I'm not lazy

When I program my speedos, I have everything hooked up, I just turn off a mix and program the the other speedo, rinse and repeat. Havn't had a problem. I'll be in Omaha on Friday, PM me for my cell and we can get together if you are still having issues.
whoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:08 PM   #200
20K Club

Yeah there will be one hell of a Futaba Support Group in Omaha this weekend.

Myself, JRH, Jason (Hobbico/Futaba), Whoodie, The Eye, Gatekeeper, and I am sure more! 4PK's are sweeping the nation

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/136728-4pk-setups-tips-tricks-help.html
Posted By For Type Date
• Afficher le sujet - Quelqu'un connais bien la radio Futaba 4PK ? This thread Refback 10-05-2011 06:51 AM
• Afficher le sujet - Mon nouveau joujou This thread Refback 10-05-2011 06:04 AM