Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 4PK Setups, Tips, Tricks and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 09:42 AM   #221

wrightcs77 - if you use a digital trim button to control the mixes, it will stop when you reach 0% if you arrived there from holding a the trim button, you have to release and repress the button for it to go negative.

engineerjoe - negative mix is possible on the fly, just use whatever button you have programmed to change the mix and lower the percentage from +100% to -100%. That will make the axles rotate opposite of each other.

If you have the setup I listed on the first few pages of this thread, the rear axle is independent of the front axle and therefore rear dig is possible without influencing the front. List your setup, how the ESC's are plugged into your RX and any programming. To answer your question directly, you can use any dial to control the rear axle, set the function of the dial to control the channel that you have the rear ESC plugged into. Using my method, you hit a button and you can control the rear ESC all by itself.
whoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #222
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoodie View Post
engineerjoe - negative mix is possible on the fly, just use whatever button you have programmed to change the mix and lower the percentage from +100% to -100%. That will make the axles rotate opposite of each other.

If you have the setup I listed on the first few pages of this thread, the rear axle is independent of the front axle and therefore rear dig is possible without influencing the front. List your setup, how the ESC's are plugged into your RX and any programming. To answer your question directly, you can use any dial to control the rear axle, set the function of the dial to control the channel that you have the rear ESC plugged into. Using my method, you hit a button and you can control the rear ESC all by itself.
Whoodie, he is using the 3PK so the rear isn't completely independant like on the 4PK since he has to have the front ESC in channel 2.

#1: You would have to use the second condition function to setup another mix and reverse the values. It would be a two step process, switch to second condition then activate the mix, and then you would have to repeat it to shut it off. I don't see a situation where I would really use this though. It would get you a reverse penalty and I can already turn my rig around simply using dig. If I was going to get a reverse penalty I would just take a reverse and get a better line at it.

#2: Yes you could program the dial to control your rear dig but you would have to get it turned back to zero for the wheels to stop spinning. I did this for a short time, not a great setup. When you would you be wanting to do a rear dig that you wouldn't want your wheels turned? If you had to control the rear dig speed with a dial that would cause you to take your hand off the wheel you would be sacrificing control. The wheel method for rear dig actually works really well, I may go to it on my 4PK so I have an open channel for winch down suspension.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:03 AM   #223
Rock Crawler

Quote:
wrightcs77 - if you use a digital trim button to control the mixes, it will stop when you reach 0% if you arrived there from holding a the trim button, you have to release and repress the button for it to go negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
Whoodie, he is using the 3PK so the rear isn't completely independant like on the 4PK since he has to have the front ESC in channel 2.

#1: You would have to use the second condition function to setup another mix and reverse the values. It would be a two step process, switch to second condition then activate the mix, and then you would have to repeat it to shut it off. I don't see a situation where I would really use this though. It would get you a reverse penalty and I can already turn my rig around simply using dig. If I was going to get a reverse penalty I would just take a reverse and get a better line at it.

#2: Yes you could program the dial to control your rear dig but you would have to get it turned back to zero for the wheels to stop spinning. I did this for a short time, not a great setup. When you would you be wanting to do a rear dig that you wouldn't want your wheels turned? If you had to control the rear dig speed with a dial that would cause you to take your hand off the wheel you would be sacrificing control. The wheel method for rear dig actually works really well, I may go to it on my 4PK so I have an open channel for winch down suspension.
Thanks guys.

I don't see myself using either of these functions very often either, but I just want to have them in the bag of possibilities.

yes, the reverse mixing would cause a reverse penalty, but might save 2-3 reverses.

I'll probably try both rear dig setups and see which one I like better.
engineerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:06 AM   #224

Quote:
...winch down suspension.
Man you keep threatening us with this, lets see it!

Engineerjoe, My friend uses the dial to control the rear ESC on his 3PK, it is a little difficult to use, but it can be done.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:42 PM   #225
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineerjoe View Post
I just bought some new mini clod axles and have a couple questions about the setup of my 3PK with the dual ESC setup.

1. is there any way to do an on the fly negative mix? (for spinning the rear wheels backwards while the fronts go forwards) this could be helpful when turning around in limited space.

2. Is there a way to use the dial on top of the radio (DL3) or a switch some where to control rear dig? I don't like the fact that the front wheels would turn while doing a rear dig. maybe it's doable without pulling the trigger?

Thanks
Yes you can set DL3 to control ch 3. You can vary the increments from 200 clicks to 3 clicks. It will make the rear esc go independent of the trigger forward or reverse.
One-eyed Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:44 PM   #226
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineerjoe View Post
I just bought some new mini clod axles and have a couple questions about the setup of my 3PK with the dual ESC setup.

1. is there any way to do an on the fly negative mix? (for spinning the rear wheels backwards while the fronts go forwards) this could be helpful when turning around in limited space.

2. Is there a way to use the dial on top of the radio (DL3) or a switch some where to control rear dig? I don't like the fact that the front wheels would turn while doing a rear dig. maybe it's doable without pulling the trigger?

Thanks
Yes you can set DL3 to control ch 3. You can vary the increments from 200 clicks to 3 clicks. It will make the rear esc go independent of the trigger forward or reverse. You can also set up PM2 to control rear dig forward.
One-eyed Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:47 PM   #227
20K Club

Quote:
Man you keep threatening us with this, lets see it!
Just need to get everything to the point that I like it before I add that. I don't want to have everything 80% done. I have plenty of room on the rear axle for the servo though. It "SHOULD" be fairly strait forward.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:27 PM   #228
Rock Stacker

This post has been by far the most helpful post I have read on the site. I had my berg up an running within minutes of opening the box the radio came in.

Drove it today, worked awesome.

Thanks for all the great information.
ncgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:48 PM   #229
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncgoose View Post
This post has been by far the most helpful post I have read on the site. I had my berg up an running within minutes of opening the box the radio came in.

Drove it today, worked awesome.

Thanks for all the great information.
Hope you are liking the radio

Took some shots today while out on the rocks. Have to thank Jason again for the painting the body for me. Now that is sponsor support

Old 03-30-2009, 06:40 PM   #230
Quarry Creeper

Harley,

I have been using my 4pk a month now. I am not disappointed at all that I spent all that money on it. I now need to buy 6 more receivers. LOL

I am getting my buddy who has zero RC experience into crawling and he is purchasing one also. Now if Losi would just hurry up launch their new crawler.
69CrazyHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:03 PM   #231
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69CrazyHorse View Post
Harley,

I have been using my 4pk a month now. I am not disappointed at all that I spent all that money on it. I now need to buy 6 more receivers. LOL

I am getting my buddy who has zero RC experience into crawling and he is purchasing one also. Now if Losi would just hurry up launch their new crawler.
Glad but not suprised to hear it. I keep tweaking my radio here and there to keep fitting it to my style. The drop down adapter for the wheel has proved to be very much to my liking. Also don't be afraid to rotate the buttons. I rotated mine and like where my dig switch is even more!

Glad to hear your buddy is jumping right in, hopefully he likes it as much as us! If you ever need anything let me know.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:03 AM   #232
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Demonstration of a setup for a Super class rig

Hey Harley ,,I'm a little lost here with the super setup .
I made the change from the DX6i to the 4PK and I love it ,glad to be rid of the sticks .
I have my 2.2 setup with your VF setup as well as the one touch button option , Awesome ,,works great.
Your instructions are very helpful ,I consider myself to be Tx stupid but I managed to get this far with your setup tips .

The super setup makes my head hurt trying to figure it out ,,lol

Ok ,this is the Vid I want for setting up my super I believe .
My question is ,where do I plug everything in on my reciever ?
2 servos , 2ecs's ,1 ccbec
Does each esc have to be setup independently ?
And then I do your settings that you show in the vid ?

grabbing a new Rx for my super today ,hope to get it setup .
Crawler Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:17 AM   #233
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Cummins View Post
Hey Harley ,,I'm a little lost here with the super setup .
I made the change from the DX6i to the 4PK and I love it ,glad to be rid of the sticks .
I have my 2.2 setup with your VF setup as well as the one touch button option , Awesome ,,works great.
Your instructions are very helpful ,I consider myself to be Tx stupid but I managed to get this far with your setup tips .

The super setup makes my head hurt trying to figure it out ,,lol

Ok ,this is the Vid I want for setting up my super I believe .
My question is ,where do I plug everything in on my reciever ?
2 servos , 2ecs's ,1 ccbec
Does each esc have to be setup independently ?
And then I do your settings that you show in the vid ?

grabbing a new Rx for my super today ,hope to get it setup .

That is the video you want.

I think you have it for the most part, the only exception being the CC BEC. Since there are only 4 inputs you will have to wire the BEC direct to the servos. If you need I can give you a wiring diagram to do this.

For my setup I demonstrated, this is the configuration for the plugs.
Ch 1: Front Servo
Ch 2: Front ESC
Ch 3: Rear ESC
Ch 4: Rear Servo

I will have to look back quick and see if I listed all the specs, I don't recall typing out all of the settings. If I didn't already than I will try to do that ASAP (probably after ECC though).

If you need anything that I missed though feel free to post/pm, I am sure others are thinking the same. Since I don't own a super anymore (hopefully again soon though) I haven't verified everything other than on the display. The display is such a great tool for checking setups though.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:30 AM   #234
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
That is the video you want.

I think you have it for the most part, the only exception being the CC BEC. Since there are only 4 inputs you will have to wire the BEC direct to the servos. If you need I can give you a wiring diagram to do this.

For my setup I demonstrated, this is the configuration for the plugs.
Ch 1: Front Servo
Ch 2: Front ESC
Ch 3: Rear ESC
Ch 4: Rear Servo

I will have to look back quick and see if I listed all the specs, I don't recall typing out all of the settings. If I didn't already than I will try to do that ASAP (probably after ECC though).

If you need anything that I missed though feel free to post/pm, I am sure others are thinking the same. Since I don't own a super anymore (hopefully again soon though) I haven't verified everything other than on the display. The display is such a great tool for checking setups though.
A wiring diagram for the bec would be great ,thanks .
I will keep watching for the super write up .
Thanks for your help .
Old 04-01-2009, 09:18 AM   #235
20K Club

Quote:
A wiring diagram for the bec would be great ,thanks .
I will keep watching for the super write up .
Thanks for your help .
Here is a wiring Diagram:

You can do most of the wiring by buying Y-Harness from the hobby shop and pulling certain pins out. Or you can do it the best way and redo the plugs on your servos and such. That is up to you but the wiring diagram will show you what you need to accomplish.

A tip, make sure that you can plug the signal wire back into the plug on the CC BEC so that you can program it with the Castle Link
Old 04-01-2009, 09:29 AM   #236

Quote:

You can do most of the wiring by buying Y-Harness from the hobby shop and pulling certain pins out. Or you can do it the best way and redo the plugs on your servos and such. That is up to you but the wiring diagram will show you what you need to accomplish.

A tip, make sure that you can plug the signal wire back into the plug on the CC BEC so that you can program it with the Castle Link
So are you having both of the ESC BECs' power the RX, or should you only have one? I was under the impression that having both of the BECs' powering the RX was not a good idea, I've never tried it so maybe there is something that I don't know.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:33 AM   #237
20K Club

Quote:
So are you having both of the ESC BECs' power the RX, or should you only have one? I was under the impression that having both of the BECs' powering the RX was not a good idea, I've never tried it so maybe there is something that I don't know.
As long as you are using 2 ESC's that are the same (outputing the same voltage) you are fine. You can disconnect one if you like obviously
Old 04-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #238
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Awww Crap ,sorry Harley ,I forgot to give you one more piece of info .
I'm running twin 3 cell lipo ,one batt for each esc ,I assume this must change the diagram some what ?
Old 04-01-2009, 04:57 PM   #239
Quarry Creeper

Oh ,I think I see ,,obviously just run one batt to each esc ,one ccbec or two ?
Old 04-01-2009, 08:19 PM   #240
20K Club

Quote:
Oh ,I think I see ,,obviously just run one batt to each esc ,one ccbec or two ?
I would suggest running both batteries in parallel to one plug, that way both your ESC's always see the same voltage and will give the most consistent performance. You can just run one batt to each, two BEC is safest if you are running high end servos.

I know Austin (Gatekeeper) has to run 2 BEC's on his since he is running two 300+ oz servos.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/136728-4pk-setups-tips-tricks-help.html
Posted By For Type Date
• Afficher le sujet - Quelqu'un connais bien la radio Futaba 4PK ? This thread Refback 10-05-2011 06:51 AM
• Afficher le sujet - Mon nouveau joujou This thread Refback 10-05-2011 06:04 AM