Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 4PK Setups, Tips, Tricks and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2008, 02:11 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nluvwithxlr8ing View Post
Nice job Josh, I like the 100% rear and 50% front setting. Have you been able to have a switch setup to enable 100% rear and nothing to the front?
I used pmix2 for that setup. In pm2 I set the steering as the master and ch3 as the slave. Use the momentary switch in the grip to turn pm2 on . When you hold the grip button and turn left or right the rear esc will run in proportion to the amount of steering input. You will have to use the servo vue screen to set up so you can tell what is happening. You will have to set the slave to run in the same direction when you turn left or right.
One-eyed Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2008, 02:29 PM   #22
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by One-eyed Jack View Post
I used pmix2 for that setup. In pm2 I set the steering as the master and ch3 as the slave. Use the momentary switch in the grip to turn pm2 on . When you hold the grip button and turn left or right the rear esc will run in proportion to the amount of steering input. You will have to use the servo vue screen to set up so you can tell what is happening. You will have to set the slave to run in the same direction when you turn left or right.
That is an interesting way to do it, however I would never give up my underpowered rear setting. It is amazing on tough verticals.

I think I may just add the front motor kill to the 4th channel so I can retain all functionality. Also with that setup you are also still moving your steering and I can see that as being an issue in certain instances.

A unique approach though, very outside the box
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 05:57 AM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
That is an interesting way to do it, however I would never give up my underpowered rear setting. It is amazing on tough verticals.

I think I may just add the front motor kill to the 4th channel so I can retain all functionality. Also with that setup you are also still moving your steering and I can see that as being an issue in certain instances.

A unique approach though, very outside the box
Did not give up. I use the digital trim #3. Set it for subtrim for pm1. I can make the rear esc lead or lag on the fly. I also have the dial dl3 set to control chan 3. Four clicks forward is wide open and four clicks back is reverse on the rear esc. I have the best of both IMO. I am using a 3PK . If I had four channels I might not have been so creative.

Last edited by One-eyed Jack; 12-14-2008 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:01 PM   #24
20K Club

Quote:
Did not give up. I use the digital trim #3. Set it for subtrim for pm1. I can make the rear esc lead or lag on the fly. I also have the dial dl3 set to control chan 3. Four clicks forward is wide open and four clicks back is reverse on the rear esc. I have the best of both IMO. I am using a 3PK . If I had four channels I might not have been so creative.
I am off to try the subtrim option now. Thanks for the tip
Old 12-14-2008, 12:11 PM   #25
20K Club

Quote:

Well the subtrim works great to adjust the amount of rear mixing. That was one thing that I was definitely missing. Thanks a bunch for the tip.

Now I did not change away from my Pmix1 and Pmix2. I am going to setup a separate model and try out your setup and see what I think. I need to get some wheel time in.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:25 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
Well the subtrim works great to adjust the amount of rear mixing. That was one thing that I was definitely missing. Thanks a bunch for the tip.

Now I did not change away from my Pmix1 and Pmix2. I am going to setup a separate model and try out your setup and see what I think. I need to get some wheel time in.
That is more or less what I did so I would not have to reconfig everything. Totally unrelated question. What if anything can/do you use on tires for traction? I have used Purple Power to good advantage. spray it on,set for 1 min and rinse off with plain water.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:09 PM   #27
20K Club

Quote:
That is more or less what I did so I would not have to reconfig everything. Totally unrelated question. What if anything can/do you use on tires for traction? I have used Purple Power to good advantage. spray it on,set for 1 min and rinse off with plain water.
I am going to update the Berg setup here in a minute with the new options.

I personally use Simple Green. I clean them off first (I use the Simple Green then too), dry them and make sure no debris is left then I give them a good shot of the simple green again. and LEAVE it on.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:34 AM   #28
Pebble Pounder

Sounds like a plan.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:41 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

Great thread

I was given a 4PK, Berg, Dual Sidewinder ESC setup to program for a friend. I don't have a manual to go by so I used your thread to set it up. Works perfectly.
TLTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:47 PM   #30
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTRyan View Post
Great thread

I was given a 4PK, Berg, Dual Sidewinder ESC setup to program for a friend. I don't have a manual to go by so I used your thread to set it up. Works perfectly.
Ryan if you need any help let me know, it is an amazing setup!
Old 12-30-2008, 04:13 AM   #31

Thanks Harley for the info. Very helpful thread.
I would like to share something abt rear wheel steer setup that I learnt while setting up my ax10.
I had used the same method that you wrote below and like what you mentioned, we need to keep track of the mixing, else the servo will behave abnormally.

Here's my solution.

I assign ch4 to one switch, say PS1 and setup Pmix1 similarly to what you have mentioned.
Go to PMIX1 and adjust it as follows:
LEFT: -100
RGHT: -100
MST: ST
SLV: CH4
MODE: ACT
OFST: 0
MXMD: MIX

Next, I activate 2nd Cond (in System Menu) and assign it to another switch, say PS2.
Now, when i toggle PS2, it will goes into 2nd cond.
Now, in this 2nd cond, I set up PMIX1 as follows:
LEFT: 100
RGHT: 100

Doing the above, we eliminate the need to keep track of mixing.
Toggle between 4WS and crab walk only requires 1 switch press.
Hope that helps.

Cheers.

Rear Steer

There are number of different way to run rear steer. On this radio it mostly depends on how you run the other channels. If you are not mixing any channels already then you can mix the front and rear steering two ways to five you fully proportional steering. If you are already mixing channels, such as using dual esc's then Option 2 will be for you.

Option 1
Fully Proportional

Plug your rear servo in to the channel 4 slot for this example.

For easier understanding first go to the SYSTM menu and change DISP-SEL and set it to "SRV-VIEW". The Servo View gives a very clear bar graph style view of what every channel is doing.

Go to the *MENU-T option and change your menu type to "Level3", make sure to go down and select the EXEC function so that it applies the changes.

Now on main menu screen 1 you should see PMIX1 and PMIX2

LEFT: -100
RGHT: -100

What you just did was setup a traditional rear steer, when you steer the front wheels left the rear wheels will steer right.

Now go to the main menu screen again and select the SWTCH menu
Change PS1: to "PROG MIX1/ ALT"

Now when you press the PS1 button (located under the wheel) you will activate or deactivate the rear steer.

Next go to PMIX2 and adjust it as follows:
LEFT: +100
RGHT: +100

What you just did was setup a crab walk rear steer, when you steer the front wheels left the rear wheels will steer left.

Now go to the main menu screen again and select the SWTCH menu
Change PS2: to "PROG MIX2/ ALT"

Now when you press the PS2 button (located on the pistol grip) you will activate or deactivate the crab walk rear steer.

Something to note. You need to keep track of when you have the mixing activated. If you have BOTH activated then they cancel each other out, make sense?

Last edited by dabiddo; 12-30-2008 at 08:05 AM.
dabiddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:49 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

josh! Thank u so much bro, now all my 4PK woes are fixed! thanks again buddy.
bullet1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:57 PM   #33
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet1231 View Post
josh! Thank u so much bro, now all my 4PK woes are fixed! thanks again buddy.
No problem Chris, feel free to give me a call again if you ever need anything. I am always willing to help if I can.

These radios may seem overwhelming at first, but as soon as you get the just of the programming the ideas will never stop!
Old 01-02-2009, 07:52 PM   #34
Pebble Pounder

Nice thread. Should be up for a sticky
flybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:04 PM   #35
Pebble Pounder

is there a way to program a front and a rear dig with dual speed controls?Or is the 4th channel switch the way to go to cut the front speed control out?This is an incredible thread,but I am getting confused by the sheer amount of great info!
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:13 PM   #36
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by racenut123 View Post
is there a way to program a front and a rear dig with dual speed controls?Or is the 4th channel switch the way to go to cut the front speed control out?This is an incredible thread,but I am getting confused by the sheer amount of great info!
Yes, one eyed jack pointed out one way and there is a second way using the second condition feature.

The way that I am using right now is to set my PMix2 up this way:

Left: +100
Right: -100
Master Channel: Steering
Slave Channel: 3rd Channel (rear ESC)
Mode: Active

I set Pmix2 to the PS2 switch and set it to NOR

So what this means is, you can PRESS and HOLD the PS2 button (on the grip) and your rear tires will spin proportionally to the steering wheel. No matter what way you steer the tires will spin forward (due to the right value being set to -100). I did this because i don't want my tires to spin in reverse due to it causing me a point. This will also let you steer uphill no matter what direction you are coming from.

Any questions about the setup just let me know
Old 01-02-2009, 09:42 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by racenut123 View Post
There is another way. You will want to mix the 3rd channel to throttle and the 4th channel to throttle as well. Plug your front ESC into channel 3 and rear ESC into channel 4. Set a switch to turn on/off mix 1 (i.e. front ESC) and another switch to turn on/off mix 2 (i.e. rear ESC). This way both 3rd and 4th channels mix from the throttle trigger, but can also be turned on or off independently for front and rear dig. I'm waiting to verify this but my FXR is backordered. The servo output screen does show that this can work, but thought I should mention that I have not verified it yet.
whoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:52 PM   #38
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoodie View Post
There is another way. You will want to mix the 3rd channel to throttle and the 4th channel to throttle as well. Plug your front ESC into channel 3 and rear ESC into channel 4. Set a switch to turn on/off mix 1 (i.e. front ESC) and another switch to turn on/off mix 2 (i.e. rear ESC). This way both 3rd and 4th channels mix from the throttle trigger, but can also be turned on or off independently for front and rear dig. I'm waiting to verify this but my FXR is backordered. The servo output screen does show that this can work, but thought I should mention that I have not verified it yet.
Whoodie, I looked into this as you suggested. You are using the 2nd condition function correct?

It make using rear dig a 2 step process right? Because you need 3 mix function to have 4WD, Front dig, rear dig.

Last edited by Harley; 01-02-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:06 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoodie View Post

If you get this to work as you say. I have my Nomadio wired up just as you have described but was told the 4PK would not work in this same manner. I sure would love to upgrade to the 4PK its such a nice radio.
TLTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:17 PM   #40

No I'm not using a 2nd condition. The switches will turn on or off the mix it is programmed to. i.e. switch 1 will activate or deactivate the mix between ch 2 and 3. switch 2 will activate or deactivate the mix between ch 2 and 4. Channel 2 acts as the master for both mix 1 and 2. So if you hit switch 1, mix 1 is deactivated and you have 2wd. Hit switch 2 and you deactivate mix 2. So each mix is independent, and you have your ESC connected to ch 3 and 4 on the rx. If you want to dig, you hit one button.

Last edited by whoodie; 01-03-2009 at 06:05 AM.
whoodie is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/136728-4pk-setups-tips-tricks-help.html
Posted By For Type Date
• Afficher le sujet - Quelqu'un connais bien la radio Futaba 4PK ? This thread Refback 10-05-2011 06:51 AM
• Afficher le sujet - Mon nouveau joujou This thread Refback 10-05-2011 06:04 AM