Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 4PK Setups, Tips, Tricks and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2010, 08:08 AM   #1301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gat714 View Post
I was runing HH 45T's, but one of them gave out on me so i sent them into John for rebuild.

I have two sets in the mail. One is a set that i am having John Holmes rebuild for me. They were origionally HH 45T's, but i'm having him rebuild them as 40T's. The other is a new set of Brood 40T's. I'm gonna try them both out to see which performs better and i'll use the other set for backups.
Ok, keep a close eye on the motors. If they're weak or in need of service they can cause issues with drivability that make you look at the controller to fix. Put the fresh motors in there, break in the brushes properly, then drive the truck. Tell us how different it was from before.
whoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2010, 08:12 AM   #1302
Quarry Creeper

Will do Whoodie.
Gat714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:20 PM   #1303
Pebble Pounder

hey harley, do you have any programming secrets for the 4pks with a novak m2 dig? I have tried your dual esc setup, and the punk dig setup neither have worked. Is it the futaba or could it be the programming in the novak?
dingo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:31 PM   #1304
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingo2010 View Post
hey harley, do you have any programming secrets for the 4pks with a novak m2 dig? I have tried your dual esc setup, and the punk dig setup neither have worked. Is it the futaba or could it be the programming in the novak?
I will get something up for you. Honestly, you are wasting the controller by using the M2 though. The M2 is trying to emulate what the 4PK already does.

I will be home in a little bit and will detail some instructions for you as long as Novak has instructions online.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:01 PM   #1305
20K Club

Well Novak's instruction seem to be garbage. I honestly don't see how they are controlling the mixing. I will need more info before I can give a walk through.

I do urge you though to ditch that thing and get to good quality ESC's.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:46 AM   #1306
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
The M2 is trying to emulate what the 4PK already does.
i havent had a chance to play with my 4pk much, but which function would this be??? glad i saw this, as i already have a 4pk, but was thinking about the M2...would be nice to know i dont need to get it, and can just do the dig via the radio...

ps- thanks for all the write ups!
nosyajg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:16 AM   #1307
Pebble Pounder

hey harley, if this won't work, which esc's do you recomend?
Old 12-23-2010, 06:56 AM   #1308
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosyajg View Post
i havent had a chance to play with my 4pk much, but which function would this be??? glad i saw this, as i already have a 4pk, but was thinking about the M2...would be nice to know i dont need to get it, and can just do the dig via the radio...

ps- thanks for all the write ups!
The M2 tries to do the dig and mixing functions the 4PK does. The problem is the Novak electronics use outdated technology. Their drag brake is terrible worst of all. Get two FXR's or two Mamba Micros.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:59 AM   #1309
20K Club

Quote:
The 4PK can do it but I just can't find what the buttons need to be programmed as. The instructions on their site are pretty poor. If I could find some better instructions I could tell you exactly how to do it.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:53 AM   #1310
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Quote:
The M2 tries to do the dig and mixing functions the 4PK does. The problem is the Novak electronics use outdated technology. Their drag brake is terrible worst of all. Get two FXR's or two Mamba Micros.
I just setup my 4pks with Harley's primo video a few weeks ago. With two mamba micro pros and no issues.
If you do want the MMP's, ebay is your only option now, unless you have found a store that has them in stock. Most sites are sold out. I was able to get two new in box MMP's just had to buy from two different stores. They are working great with the 4pks and I forgot how smooth Castle's ESC were. Nice change from the Fx-R I had been running in the comp rig for almost 2 years.

Also, i setup my Cherokee's winch using Harley's winch demo video. Works like a champ.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:10 AM   #1311
Pebble Pounder

the instructions on their site are the same ones that come with the esc.
and you are correct sir, they suck.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:13 PM   #1312
Pebble Pounder

The novak tech guy says i need to have a 3 pos. switch in order for this to work. I have not come accross anything in the book that tells you how to assign a switch to be 3 position. Someone needs to write a futaba for dummies book that better explains the functions of the radio.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:18 PM   #1313
20K Club

Quote:
The novak tech guy says i need to have a 3 pos. switch in order for this to work. I have not come accross anything in the book that tells you how to assign a switch to be 3 position. Someone needs to write a futaba for dummies book that better explains the functions of the radio.
Several of the setups listed in te first post have 3 position switches detailed.

To program a 3 position switch simply go to the dial menu.
Select the DT switch you want to use.
Set the value to - CH3 : 100/NOR

That's all there is to programming a switch to 3 positions.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:30 PM   #1314
Pebble Pounder

harley you are a true master of the futaba, the dig function now works, however, I cannot use the proportional function to operate the motors at individual speeds. Maybe i need to set up mixing function on channel 2?
thanks for all of your help, futaba hasn't even replied yet.
have a merry christmas
rob
Old 12-23-2010, 05:41 PM   #1315
20K Club

Quote:
harley you are a true master of the futaba, the dig function now works, however, I cannot use the proportional function to operate the motors at individual speeds. Maybe i need to set up mixing function on channel 2?
thanks for all of your help, futaba hasn't even replied yet.
have a merry christmas
rob
No mixing in the 4PK is useless witthat ESC. That is what I was trying to find in Novaks instructions. It has to be done through channel 3 because that is all a 3R can do. I hate that ESC! I wish I could help better I just don't know how that thing is operated. If I knew that I could easily give you the programming.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:50 PM   #1316

Quote:
No mixing in the 4PK is useless witthat ESC. That is what I was trying to find in Novaks instructions. It has to be done through channel 3 because that is all a 3R can do. I hate that ESC! I wish I could help better I just don't know how that thing is operated. If I knew that I could easily give you the programming.
I think you need to setup an additional DT switch, on the same channel, but with adjustment increments of 10-20%, similar to our front/rear bias function. Just a guess though.

dingo2010, you really need to get 2 ESCs, it's the only way to do it properly
whoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:56 PM   #1317
Pebble Pounder

Maybe someone can help me I have a 3pk and am using dual esc's, they are the mmp's. I did the set-up that Harley showed on his video(by the way thank you very much for doing that!) but am having a problem with dig. I set-up the front dig to work on ps.1 and rear dig on the grip button. If I accidentally hit both digs so I have No throttle at all, then let's say click on front dig(ps.1) it switches, it then acts as rear dig instead of front. Same thing happens if i were to click on grip button it will act as front dig instead of rear. Once I get front and rears both turned back on it goes back to normal settings Any ideas of what to check for I would appreciate much thanks
rcboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:04 AM   #1318
20K Club

That is how it is supposed to work. Think of the buttons as turning the motors on and off. If you turn them both off and then hit PS1 again (the button you use to to turn on or off the rear motor to get front dig) then you have the front off still but have turned the rear back on. You just have to used to the radio and not turning things off. There are still people that turn both motors off but most people get used to it and don't ever have a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcboxer View Post
Maybe someone can help me I have a 3pk and am using dual esc's, they are the mmp's. I did the set-up that Harley showed on his video(by the way thank you very much for doing that!) but am having a problem with dig. I set-up the front dig to work on ps.1 and rear dig on the grip button. If I accidentally hit both digs so I have No throttle at all, then let's say click on front dig(ps.1) it switches, it then acts as rear dig instead of front. Same thing happens if i were to click on grip button it will act as front dig instead of rear. Once I get front and rears both turned back on it goes back to normal settings Any ideas of what to check for I would appreciate much thanks
Old 12-24-2010, 01:17 PM   #1319
Pebble Pounder

since the harley fix allowed me to have a 3 pos. switch, and the original setup for two esc's allowed me to change the front and rear motor speeds independantly, is there a way to combine these two features? could i take the two esc set up and use the 4th channel to create the 3 pos. switch?
rob
Old 12-24-2010, 01:54 PM   #1320
20K Club

Quote:
since the harley fix allowed me to have a 3 pos. switch, and the original setup for two esc's allowed me to change the front and rear motor speeds independantly, is there a way to combine these two features? could i take the two esc set up and use the 4th channel to create the 3 pos. switch?
rob
The M2 just doesn't allow that kind of control. That is why it's a waste to use it with the 4PK. The 4PK can do so much more.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/136728-4pk-setups-tips-tricks-help.html
Posted By For Type Date
• Afficher le sujet - Quelqu'un connais bien la radio Futaba 4PK ? This thread Refback 10-05-2011 06:51 AM
• Afficher le sujet - Mon nouveau joujou This thread Refback 10-05-2011 06:04 AM