Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 4PK Setups, Tips, Tricks and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2009, 11:57 PM   #81
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKES2CRAWL View Post
Could the 4PK be used on a super for rear str and still be able to do digs or dose the mixxing not allow that many functions? I read thru all the examples but didn't see what I was looking for.
There are only 2 mixes so you would have to work with that. I can do a writeup on the way I would suggest it though.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2009, 08:08 AM   #82
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Added to the radio sticky at the top.

So far the only thing I can't get done is a 3 position on the momentary buttons. I can get the dials to give me 3pos for a 3 speed tranny or dig setup, and I have also assigned the "trim" switches (DT3) for 3 position use.

I have been using my radio a good bit, so far I have 2.5 hours on it. Finally a radio that will do it all and isn't a big heavy stick!
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:12 PM   #83
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
There are only 2 mixes so you would have to work with that. I can do a writeup on the way I would suggest it though.
This is what I was wondering as well .... would love to know how it will work.
clarkrw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:46 AM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
I don't have a 4PK, but if what I asked is possible or something that will work to my likings then I may be looking to get one. I would like to hear on what you suggest. This would be for a "super" aplication right, cause that's what I'm wondering about?
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:34 AM   #85
20K Club

Since a super will have front and rear steer there will have to be some give and take with your programming.

Being that I haven't run a super in quite a few years I will suggest what I believe is best.

It seems that with rear steer many don't use the dig functions as much, at least rear dig.

I would program your Pmix 1 to mix your rear esc with the front esc. Cutting this mix would give you typical front dig.

I would set the dials on the grip to the adjustable mixing function as I have demonstrated in the video.

Pmix 2 would be where I think it would come down to user preference. I think I would set it to control the rear steer so that when activated the steering would turn the opposite way as the front. Turn this mix off and your rear steer turns off.

I would then set one of the DT buttons to manually control the rear steer in 10 step incriments. This would allow independant control of the rear steer.

I will send a PM to a couple of guys that run super and see what they think of this setup as well. Let me know what you guys think of the setup and if there is something you would rather have and I will figure out if it is possible. If this setup sounds good then I will program it and type out all of the settings and take pictures.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:21 PM   #86
I wanna be Dave

What you have explained so far sounds good. I guess I should have explained that only front dig would be what I wanted in my setup. Looking forward to hearing what the other super runners have to say about this.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:25 PM   #87

What I plan to do on a super:

rear steer (ch 4) on dt3 (third trim) in 3 or 5 discrete steps
dig mix on button one or two

personally I haven't liked using the dials for immediate control so far, they are too slow. I do like them for fine adjustment of mix however.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:03 PM   #88
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
What I plan to do on a super:

rear steer (ch 4) on dt3 (third trim) in 3 or 5 discrete steps
dig mix on button one or two

personally I haven't liked using the dials for immediate control so far, they are too slow. I do like them for fine adjustment of mix however.
John, do you not like the dials for control of the mixing or for rear steer? I have found the dials to be a lot faster for mixing for me, I go in 10% increments. I don't like to go any finer than that on mixing, I just don't feel that it has enough effect when actually on the course. Interested to hear how you feel though.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:21 PM   #89

Mixing control I do like, but I didn't like them for rear steer. Too hard to adjust vs the switches. I kept missing center and fiddling with the wrong dial. My problem more than the radio, maybe I just need more practice on the dials.

I put my dig on the buttons for an on/off dig. There is nothing to keep me from adding in a dial as well if wanted to adjust the dig in increments too. On one rig I have three controls that adjust the 3 position servo
Old 01-19-2009, 06:30 PM   #90
20K Club

No I 100 percent agre that the DT buttons are better for rear stear. That is why I suggested them that way too.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:47 PM   #91
I wanna be Dave

Anybody else have there opinion on the SUPER setup?
Old 01-26-2009, 02:01 PM   #92
Rock Crawler

Dude this is great. I have a 3pk and all these fuctions are the same! Im so glad I dont have to get a stick radio to run 2 escs!
axman2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:10 PM   #93
Quarry Creeper

May be a stupid question, but will the R6004FF air rx work with 4pk? Just thought I would ask since it's half the price of the R604FS.
cherokee95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:46 PM   #94

Just had a comp over the weekend where I won with a 2 ESC rig using the 4pk and the programming I mentioned earlier in this thread. I like it a lot, super easy to dial in exactly what you need. I still ran a different pinion front and rear with the truck, but adjusting the drive ratio is extremely helpful on steep climbs.
whoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:02 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee95 View Post
May be a stupid question, but will the R6004FF air rx work with 4pk? Just thought I would ask since it's half the price of the R604FS.

Nope, but we should see if we can get Futaba to change it. They are slim and would be easier to mount in a crawler.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:05 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKES2CRAWL View Post
Anybody else have there opinion on the SUPER setup?

How do you want your rear steer? Discrete steps or infinite adjustment? I would put it on the DT3, maybe 5 or more steps.

There will have to a give and take for the dig and rear steer. One will have to get more control vs the other.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:08 PM   #97

I just looked up that RX on Tower, man that would be perfect for a crawler. So John, you tried it and it for sure does not work, in C1 or C2 mode?
Old 01-26-2009, 04:44 PM   #98

Well, I say that because there is only so many fingers to push buttons

You could have the rear steer on dt3, easily accessed by the right hand.
The best way for dual throttle IMO is to have throttle mixed to channels 3 and 4, as discussed already. Can't have rear steer if you do it this way.

The compromise is to have a button that turns off the rear motor. Then you could have one of the dials control the mix as well, if you needed finer adjustment.

Certainly workable on 4 channels, but you can't have quite as much control as a stick radio. The question is whether you would actually notice the difference. I know most people use dig as on/ off, so there would be no compromise.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:45 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoodie View Post
I just looked up that RX on Tower, man that would be perfect for a crawler. So John, you tried it and it for sure does not work, in C1 or C2 mode?
Yes, it doesn't work according to futaba. http://2.4gigahertz.com/modules/modules-receivers.html
Old 01-26-2009, 04:55 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Yes, it doesn't work according to futaba. http://2.4gigahertz.com/modules/modules-receivers.html
Hmmm, ok, I wonder if it is some kind of software lock that they implemented or if there is a hardware deficiency. Hopefully someone will leverage Futaba into making it work. Thanks John.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/136728-4pk-setups-tips-tricks-help.html
Posted By For Type Date
• Afficher le sujet - Quelqu'un connais bien la radio Futaba 4PK ? This thread Refback 10-05-2011 06:51 AM
• Afficher le sujet - Mon nouveau joujou This thread Refback 10-05-2011 06:04 AM