Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: New start up, multiple electronics issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2019, 05:34 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default New start up, multiple electronics issues

Hey guys! Just got my SCX10.2 bk all finished up. To start I’ll give the list of electronics I’m using, Savox SB-2290 sg, CC Mamba X, CC 2280kv sensored, Spektrum SR6100AT, Spektrum DX5C, Gens ace 5000mah 2s. I’m pretty new to aftermarket rc so please bare with me. I got the battery fully charged and everything on.

The first problem was the motor was backwards, not a huge problem, I reversed it on the transmitter. But now reverse won’t work.

Second problem is the steering servo, it has a lot of chatter when not in use and will even occasionally just swing left.

Third problem is the servo has very bad travel from lock to lock. I’ve read the Spektrum manuals and have every setting maxed out to get the most travel but it doesn’t seem to change anything.

Any thoughts or am I just so new that I overlooked some very simple things?
derteracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2019, 06:16 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New start up, multiple electronics issues

Turned off expo and ABS?

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:23 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Sorry, I guess I’m super new haha. What’s expo and abs and how do i turn it off?
Old 10-19-2019, 07:04 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by derteracing View Post
Sorry, I guess I’m super new haha. What’s expo and abs and how do i turn it off?

Expo is short for exponential steering
ABS is automatic brake system

I’m a Futaba guy, so sorta clueless on Specky. But go into the setup channels area and look for anything set for channels 1or2..... 1 is steering , turn expo off if on. 2 is throttle/ brake, look for abs and turn it off. I’m assuming that you have your brake set in crawler mode. Also is your bec set to 6v ? The 2290 is high voltage, I think 6 is minimum.

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 10-19-2019 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:21 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

The expo is off for the steering. I kinda figured out the amount of throw I think. The servo still chatters quite a bit and seems to have like interference sometimes because it’ll just do whatever it wants.

As for the abs, I didn’t see anything in the manual but I’ll have to google some more about it.

There is a 10amp bec built into the esc, that should be enough?
Old 10-19-2019, 08:00 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Okay I’ve narrowed down my problem to the receiver. So the servo chatter gets worse if you wiggle the receiver and/or antenna. The steering and motor reverse issue have been resolved. Just need to figure out the chatter
Old 10-19-2019, 08:04 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Sounds like a loose connection on the connector to the rx, or a bad rx.
Your ESC has plenty of amps, but comes set at 5.1v and that will make that 2290 stutter, use a castle link to set the internal bec voltage

Hang up and Drive
Old 10-19-2019, 08:08 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Low voltage is just as bad for electronics as high voltage. I'd get the built in bec set correctly before running it.
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:02 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

The servo is loud because it is a savox. They are just loud unless they are perfectly centered. Jiggling the sterring sometimes helps. But yea they are like an anoying toilet.

https://youtu.be/IRLNs7gszGA

For the no reverse check that the esc is in crawler mode. Easy if you have the free castle link.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 10-19-2019 at 09:05 PM.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:30 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I’m okay with the noise of the servo I just need to get rid of the jitter. I think the receiver might be faulty and also you are right about the bec setting in the esc. So I’m going to the local shop tomorrow to get castle link and another receiver and see if I can’t get it worked out.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:05 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
The servo is loud because it is a savox. They are just loud unless they are perfectly centered. Jiggling the sterring sometimes helps. But yea they are like an anoying toilet.

This is a 2290, not the low end savox junk as shown. This is a stud servo, but it’s a HV and loves 7 to 8v! And does not chatter or loose center.

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 10-19-2019 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:30 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by derteracing View Post
I’m okay with the noise of the servo I just need to get rid of the jitter. I think the receiver might be faulty and also you are right about the bec setting in the esc. So I’m going to the local shop tomorrow to get castle link and another receiver and see if I can’t get it worked out.
Sounds like it's the avc working.
351Beno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:51 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351Beno View Post
Sounds like it's the avc working.

Ditto!

Hang up and Drive
Old 10-20-2019, 02:22 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Huh, interesting. AVC was INH on my transmitter but was stilling running in the vehicle. I turned AVC on and set both steering and throttle to 0%. It’s a lot happier now! Thanks for that advice! Local shop was out of castle links so I’ll have to wait until the free one shows up in the mail this week to program bec. Do you think the internal 8amp bec is enough for the 2290 or should I get a 10amp external?
Old 10-20-2019, 04:27 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

That internal has plenty of amps for the 2290. Just don’t overvolt the rx. I run a Holmes rx bypass so I can run 8.4 to my servo, still 6 at my rx.

Hang up and Drive
Old 10-20-2019, 06:24 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Spektrum website says the Spektrum SR6100AT is rated for 3.5V to 9.6V. The Savox SB2290SG is rated at min. 6V and max. 7.4V. Personally, I'd start at about 7.0V and see how everything works. Sounds like you've got a good system once everything is set properly.
nightcrawler48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:51 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
This is a 2290, not the low end savox junk as shown. This is a stud servo, but it’s a HV and loves 7 to 8v! And does not chatter or loose center.

Hang up and Drive
I have a 2290, I think Durok or Whitetrash kept praising them, and it's loud and annoying. I prefer the silent servos like the SHV500v2 more. It's dead silent when you stop. Same with the 3brc g13. Sound when driving and turning is not a big deal. But if I want to stop and chat with friends this 2290 is quite anoying while it tries to center, or what ever it is that savox's do. Personally I'm never buying another one, just because of the sound.

Yea maybe it's tough and dosent break. I don't know. I moved it to my least used crawler.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:15 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Maybe there is a difference between chattering and buzzing then?

Old 10-20-2019, 08:06 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the info mikemce and night crawler48. I’ll look more into the voltage ratings when the castle link comes in and I can get everything setup properly. Voodoobrew it was moving the wheels back and forth and jittering the wheels because the AVC system was on. Once off it actually sits still very quiet. The turning noise is kinda loud but about the same volume as the motor so it doesn’t bother me much. The steering does have some inconsistencies but I believe that will be resolved once I get the bec set properly
Old 10-20-2019, 08:55 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
I have a 2290, I think Durok or Whitetrash kept praising them, and it's loud and annoying. I prefer the silent servos like the SHV500v2 more. It's dead silent when you stop. Same with the 3brc g13. Sound when driving and turning is not a big deal. But if I want to stop and chat with friends this 2290 is quite anoying while it tries to center, or what ever it is that savox's do. Personally I'm never buying another one, just because of the sound.

Yea maybe it's tough and dosent break. I don't know. I moved it to my least used crawler.

Ummmm...

Voodoobrew...

I don't "keep praising" the 2290 - White-Trash and several other members here have them.

Myself?

I've never had a Savox....

I have mentioned it along with the 2 powerful servos I lean towards (Holmes SHV500, ProModeler 420/470) in literally a couple posts when people just wanted to know what was out there in the expensive end of things.

I've mentioned Tekin servos, too - but their gear is extremely expensive and I have never owned them either.

But, my standard recommended servos when going for big power are still the Holmes and Promodeler - both of which I own.

These days I'm mostly playing with smaller tires and have four different DS budget servos that I am testing.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote

New start up, multiple electronics issues - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Issues with the electronics Oger1983 Traxxas TRX-4 37 08-03-2017 09:35 AM
Electronics issues Pigpen28 Electronics 5 06-01-2015 03:13 AM
mamba max pro start up issues JDIRCC Axial Wraith 1 03-19-2014 10:07 PM
Electronics issues losikid Electronics 22 01-19-2012 08:29 PM
issues with stock electronics PineapplAssasin Axial AX-10 Scorpion 10 06-20-2010 12:09 PM