Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 4PK Setups, Tips, Tricks and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2008, 06:34 PM   #1
20K Club

Default 4PK Setups, Tips, Tricks and Help

I will use this thread as a help to anyone using the 4PK. I was given a 4PK by Futaba and as part of I am going to lend support to anyone I can.

If anyone has any questions feel free to post them and I will answer as soon as I can. And if anyone else has any tips or you want to list your setup then go right ahead!

UPDATED 4/20/10

Click the following links to take you to the setup instructions:

The Ultimate 4PK setup for 2.2 MOA's <--RECOMMENDED!

4PKS programming modification to eliminate "PMIX ON" Issue on main screen

Wiring Diagram For The Ultimate 4PK setup for 2.2 MOA's

Video showing Dual ESC capabilities

Shipping address for Hobby Services

Losi Crawler

Super Class Setup #1 With VIDEO

Super Class Setup #2

Super Class setup video demonstartion

Super Class wiring diagram

Rear Steer

DNA/R2D/TCS-RC4WD 3 position dig setup

Set your timer

Proportional Winch

MOA - Dual ESC using 3 channels

4PK using 3 Channels or 3PK video demonstration This setup is now outdated, please refer to the Ultimate setup, the 3PK now has full functionality for MOA control including front and rear dig controlled by the trigger.

MOA dig setup with Punk Dig (or microswitches) and 1 ESC

4 Dry Cell Install by Sarge

Range Comparison test by Killer RC

Last edited by Harley; 04-22-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2008, 06:38 PM   #2
20K Club

Winch Setup

****Attention Stage3 winch owners******
You must change your servo mode to "normal" instead of the default "high speed" to control the Stage 3 winch!!!!

This thing is very adjustable and can run a winch in many different ways.
I would program one of the dials to a multi step adjustment. The more you have the finer detail you will be able to adjust in spool speed.

I would personally set it between 20 and 50 step rate.

Here is how I would do it:

Go to the Systm menu and set DISP-SEL to SRV-VIEW

Go to the *MENU-T option and change your menu type to "Level3", make sure to go down and select the EXEC function so that it applies the changes.

Next go to the DIAL menu and set one of the dials to channel 3 (or 4). For this example I will say DL3 to CH3 (this is the dial on top of the remote).

Then scroll over and change DL3 from "2 / NOR" to "30 - NOR" (this is the where I was saying the 20-50 range)

Now your winch will have variable speed

Good luck

Last edited by Harley; 06-21-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:47 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Great information here Harley.
Thanks
J
jdawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:28 PM   #4
20K Club

Set your Timer!

If your club is anything like mine then competition is tight and you don't want to lose track of the clock while you are running.

This is a super easy task but here is a quick step by step:

For quick access, set up your Direct Select menu so you can access the Timer menu in two quick button taps.

First press and HOLD the "DIR" button

Now select one of the positions 1-8 (I chose 1)

Now when on the home screen you can just hit DIR and then button 1 and you are looking at your timer.

Once in your Timer menu:

Set the Type to "UP TIMER"

Set the alarm for 1 min less than your course time limit, this may change from course to course or comp to comp but it is easy to adjust.

To start the timer scroll down to "RST" and press both the + and -, now as soon as you hit the trigger or wheel the timer will start.

For more noticable alarm go to the "VIBRA" menu and set the "TIMER-UP" to any value you like, I chose PT5.

Last edited by Harley; 09-24-2008 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:33 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I don't have a 4PK, but there is definitely some good info in there, for the 4PK owners.

Thanks.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:46 PM   #6
20K Club

VF/DNA Dig, RC4WD R2D Transmission, or TCS/RC4WD Dig for Axial Transmission

Doesn't get much easier than this, this is just one method of doing this though, there are many possible ways.

For easier understanding first go to the SYSTM menu and change DISP-SEL and set it to "SRV-VIEW". The Servo View gives a very clear bar graph style view of what every channel is doing.

Go to the *MENU-T option and change your menu type to "Level3", make sure to go down and select the EXEC function so that it applies the changes.

First go to the EPA menu and set the EPA levels on 3C UP and DWN to a very low level, say 5 for this example.

Now go to the Dial menu.

Scroll to the switch you want to control your dig, I chose DT3 which is in front of the wheel near where my pointer finger rests (this can be set to any of the dials you like).

Change the dial value to CH3, then scroll over and make the values read: 100/NOR (this means that the dial will act as a 3 position switch).

Now hook up your servo to your dig. Make sure that when the servo is centered that it is in the neutral position (for this method).

Open the EPA menu again.
Gradually adjust your EPA's up while turning the drivetrain (either by hand or by using the throttle). Once they engage check the amount of contact if possible and adjust to an amount you feel comfortable with. Repeat this step for the other direction. Test over and over while spinning the tires while off the ground before driving the truck. This will help in not burning up a shift servo, make sure to check the servo temp while doing this.

OPTION

If you want you can program one of the push buttons to be an automatic dig button. It will go right from 4WD to Dig as long as you HOLD the button down.

To do this go to the SWTCH menu

Select a switch that is easiest for you, I selected PS1 which is right underneath the steering wheel. Set it to CH3

THATS IT! Now when ever you press and hold this button the transmission will automatically go strait to lock (as soon as you release the button it will go back to 4wd even if you had it in freewheel before). The SRV-VIEW will help illustrate exactly what is happening

Last edited by Harley; 10-01-2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:10 PM   #7
20K Club

Berg/OCM or Clod electronic dig (Micro Switch)

For easier understanding first go to the SYSTM menu and change DISP-SEL and set it to "SRV-VIEW". The Servo View gives a very clear bar graph style view of what every channel is doing.

This how-to does not cover the wiring of the micro switches. Here are a couple of links that may be helpful though:

First go to the EPA menu and set the EPA levels on 3C UP and DWN to a very low level, say 5 for this example.

Now go to the Dial menu.

Scroll to the switch you want to control your dig, I chose DT3 which is in front of the wheel near where my pointer finger rests (this can be set to any of the dials you like).

Change the dial value to CH3, then scroll over and make the values read: 100/NOR (this means that the dial will act as a 3 position switch).

Now hook up your servo that will activate the micro switch. Make sure that when the servo is centered that it is not hitting either of the switches.

Open the EPA menu again.
Gradually adjust your EPA's up until they activate the micro switch. Repeat this step for the other direction. This method will help in not burning up a servo, make sure to check the servo temp while doing this.

OPTION

Add a 2nd servo to add lock and freewheel to both front and rear dig.

This diagram show the second switch only hooked up to the rear motor, but it can be wired to both for the most options.

First go to the EPA menu and set the EPA levels on 4C UP and DWN to a very low level, say 5 for this example.

Now go to the Dial menu.

Scroll to the switch you want to control your dig, I chose DT2 which is in behind the wheel near where my thumb rests (this can be set to any of the dials you like).

Change the dial value to CH4, then scroll over and make the values read: 100/NOR (this means that the dial will act as a 3 position switch).

Now hook up your servo that will activate the micro switch. Make sure that when the servo is centered that it is not hitting the switch.

Open the EPA menu again.
Gradually adjust your EPA's up until they activate the micro switch.

Last edited by Harley; 10-01-2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:13 PM   #8
20K Club

Rear Steer

There are number of different way to run rear steer. On this radio it mostly depends on how you run the other channels. If you are not mixing any channels already then you can mix the front and rear steering two ways to five you fully proportional steering. If you are already mixing channels, such as using dual esc's then Option 2 will be for you.

Option 1
Fully Proportional

Plug your rear servo in to the channel 4 slot for this example.

Now on main menu screen 1 you should see PMIX1 and PMIX2

Go to PMIX1 and adjust it as follows:
LEFT: -100
RGHT: -100
MST: ST
SLV: CH4
MODE: ACT
OFST: 0
MXMD: MIX

What you just did was setup a traditional rear steer, when you steer the front wheels left the rear wheels will steer right.

Now go to the main menu screen again and select the SWTCH menu
Change PS1: to "PROG MIX1/ ALT"

Now when you press the PS1 button (located under the wheel) you will activate or deactivate the rear steer.

Next go to PMIX2 and adjust it as follows:
LEFT: +100
RGHT: +100
MST: ST
SLV: CH4

What you just did was setup a crab walk rear steer, when you steer the front wheels left the rear wheels will steer left.

Now go to the main menu screen again and select the SWTCH menu
Change PS2: to "PROG MIX2/ ALT"

Now when you press the PS2 button (located on the pistol grip) you will activate or deactivate the crab walk rear steer.

Something to note. You need to keep track of when you have the mixing activated. If you have BOTH activated then they cancel each other out, make sense?

Option 2
Manual

When you are running a rig that is already using the mixing funtions then you need to handle your rear steer another way.

Go to the DIAL menu

Select DT1 and set it to "CH4 : 50 / NOR"

What these settings mean are that Dial DT1 (located above the wheel) will move the rear servo 50 steps (out of 100 each direction, 200 total, yielding a 5 position switch) per press.

Thats it! Now when you hit the DT1 button it will move your servo 50% of its throw in each direction. Very easy to use.

You can adjust the amount of "steps" by increasing or decreasing the 50 in the DIAL menu.

You can also set up another Dial to have finer control as well (2 or more switches controlling the rear steer).
Old 09-30-2008, 01:26 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Good stuff!

Can't wait to try it at Crawlapalooza
Fishmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:47 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmaxx View Post
Good stuff!

Can't wait to try it at Crawlapalooza
x2, Great write up Harley. You may be teaching class at crawlapalooza
yukon635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:54 AM   #11
20K Club

Dual ESC's - UPDATED 6/20/09

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwu-Wm3dRhw

This setup does not work in conjunction with Throttle expo.[/color]

Setup:
2x - Tekin FXR
2x - Holmes Hobbies 35t Handwounds
Berg Axles
Castle BEC
Futaba BLS152
Futaba 4PK
3s MaxAmps 1100

Setup:
Channel 1: Steering Servo (Wheel obviously)
Channel 2: Front ESC
Channel 3: Rear ESC
Channel 4: Open for optional accessories such as winch down or 4ws on a super class crawler

One of the first things I did was go into the SYSTM menu and change DISP-SEL and set it to "SRV-VIEW". This is very similar to the DX3R's "Monitor" function except the DX3R does not allow you to set it as the main screen which I always wished it would. The Servo View gives a very clear bar graph style view of what every channel is doing. This allowed me to do all of my experimenting without having to wire everything up, what an awesome feature!

To control the two ESC's I setup PMix1 and PMix2 (program mix 1 & 2).

PMIX1
FWRD: -100
BRAK: -100
MST: TH
SLV: TH
TRIM: OFF

PMIX2
FWRD: -100
BRAK: -100
MST: Th
SLV: CH3
TRIM: ON

I set PMix1 on PS1 which is on the bottom of the wheel, it feels very natural to hit the button it is a fantastic spot. I set PMix2 to PS2, which is on the grip but and easily activated/deactivated by your middle finger..

To do this go to the SWTCH menu.
Set PS1 to PROG MIX1 / ALT
Set PS2 to PROG MIX2 / ALT
You can flip PS1 and PS2 depending on what you feel most comfortable using when it comes to activating your front and rear dig.

When you first turn the radio on you will need to hit PS1 and PS2 to activate both mixes and give you 4 wheel drive.

If I hit the switch again it turns the mixing off, that means that the 3rd channel is not seeing ANY throttle which should give me standard dig with lock (the lock comes from the drag brake settings on the ESC).

Now for adjustable mix of the rear esc. Go to the Dial menu and set the the these three lines as such:
*DT1: PM2-B: 10 / NOR <-- you can set this to any of the DT buttons that feel comfortable with your style.

PLEASE SEE THE VIDEO TO SEE ALL THE CAPABILITIES

I also set the vibrate feature to work every time you hit the switches, when you turn a mix on it pulses twice, when you turn a mix off it gives one long pulse. VERY COOl!

Last edited by Harley; 05-15-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:40 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the Sweet instructions

I am very interested in Learning more about this Radio

When , where is this Crawlpolooza

I will Be sold when:
I can figure out if Push Sw 2 is a single movement or full porportion servo input
Digital Dial what does it do ? Can it be a full porportion servo input ?
or they are 2,3 servo positions
What are Digital Dial 1 & 2 used for
Going to have a 2 Crawlers
I want to know if I can do Single ESC, front steer with 3 micro switches for dual dig with free wheel and where on the radio are those switches

For my super single ESC, Front steer, rear steer, Dig servo-full porportion(adjustable)

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 10-01-2008 at 12:43 PM.
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:29 PM   #13
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4crawlin View Post
Thanks for the Sweet instructions

I am very interested in Learning more about this Radio

When , where is this Crawlpolooza
Oct 10,11,12 in Disney, OK

Quote:
I will Be sold when:
I can figure out if Push Sw 2 is a single movement or full porportion servo input.
It is a single input, I use it to toggle my Program Mix 2 program on and off. See my first post in this thread.

Quote:
Digital Dial what does it do ? Can it be a full porportion servo input ? Can it be a full porportion servo input ? or they are 2,3 servo positions
Any of the dials can be set to act as multi position "switches". All the way from 2 to 200 positions. For a more in depth explanation you can see the manual on www.futaba-rc.com or I can help you if you a specific setup question.

Quote:
What are Digital Dial 1 & 2 used for
Anything you want. Every button is fully programable.

Quote:
I want to know if I can do Single ESC, front steer with 3 micro switches for dual dig with free wheel and where on the radio are those switches

For my super single ESC, Front steer, rear steer, Dig servo-full porportion(adjustable)
I think I have most of this covered in the How-To's above with the exception of the 3 micro switch setup. I will do that one for you tomorrow, it is very simple.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:13 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

that would be very helpful , thank you
I am doing some reading, but it still gets a little confusing, I could learn in a minute if I had it in my hands
Old 10-03-2008, 12:38 PM   #15
Im Brandon

Nice job Josh, I like the 100% rear and 50% front setting. Have you been able to have a switch setup to enable 100% rear and nothing to the front?
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:48 PM   #16
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nluvwithxlr8ing View Post
Nice job Josh, I like the 100% rear and 50% front setting. Have you been able to have a switch setup to enable 100% rear and nothing to the front?
I could hook up a micro switch on channel 4 since I am not using it and have it cut power to the front motor. I hadn't actually thought of that, it may be worth a try.

Good thinking, Futaba could sure use another team mate like you
Old 10-03-2008, 02:28 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

4pk sounding good

what kind of deal can I get ?

maybe I can sell some of my other radios and cars to help fund this.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:50 PM   #18
20K Club

Quote:
4pk sounding good

what kind of deal can I get ?

maybe I can sell some of my other radios and cars to help fund this.
Last I heard, Ultimate Hobbies had the best deal.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:15 AM   #19

Will this work with the tamiya 3 speed? also will it work if we had the MFU?
benzee403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:53 AM   #20
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzee403 View Post
Will this work with the tamiya 3 speed? also will it work if we had the MFU?
The radio works great with a 3 speed setup.

I will do step-by-step instructions for this application soon, I just hadn't thought to post them.

As for the MFU, I do not believe you will be able to run the MFU to it's full potential. The MFU is designed with very OLD technology in mind. It makes you use radios with analog trim functions and such. I know the Tamiya Fans have really been pushing for them to update this, all you can do is join them in trying to persuade Tamiya.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/136728-4pk-setups-tips-tricks-help.html
Posted By For Type Date
&bull; Afficher le sujet - Quelqu'un connais bien la radio Futaba 4PK ? This thread Refback 10-05-2011 06:51 AM
&bull; Afficher le sujet - Mon nouveau joujou This thread Refback 10-05-2011 06:04 AM