Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Killing servos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2008, 11:06 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Killing servos

I just recently killed 2 mg995 servos on my crawler. I recently got the esc (tazer 15t) wet and saved it. And I'm not sure if my first servo died when my esc acted up from getting wet, but that one didn't work so I repleced with one from my savage and after about 2-4min of running that one died. I have no idea whats causing it. I checked my esc to receiver output and I'm getting 6.0v like it should be. Any ideas what could be happening?
super mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2008, 11:25 AM   #2
Official Cook of the ECC

Check your endpoints.

What radio gear are you using?
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:05 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I'm running a futuba magnum 2ch and my endpoints are good even though I can't adjust them.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by super mud View Post
I'm running a futuba magnum 2ch and my endpoints are good even though I can't adjust them.
If you can't adjust your endpoints...your not good to go. Sure,things will work....who knows how long though. Analog servos are a bit more forgiving to the endpoints being off. Adjustable endpoints are really a must,IMHO,when you use the higher end digitals.

If your endpoints aren't set right,when you turn one way and the knuckle is resting on the stop....your servos are trying to push more. That causes the servo to over heat and die.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57 View Post
If you can't adjust your endpoints...your not good to go. Sure,things will work....who knows how long though. Analog servos are a bit more forgiving to the endpoints being off. Adjustable endpoints are really a must,IMHO,when you use the higher end digitals.

If your endpoints aren't set right,when you turn one way and the knuckle is resting on the stop....your servos are trying to push more. That causes the servo to over heat and die.
Thanks, I was wondering that. Now I understand.
ejej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 01:59 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

i see what they are saying about epa's but how much oversteering can you be doing in 2-4 min to fry the servo.imsure if you just held it past the ep that it would take its toll on it but i dont think thats what you r doing right
hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 03:08 PM   #7
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhead View Post
i see what they are saying about epa's but how much oversteering can you be doing in 2-4 min to fry the servo.
I know it's not the case all the time. But,there are times that a crawlers steering will be bouncing off the stops the entire run. I've yet to see a course thats a straight line. Thats where the heat comes from. There's not enough time between turning right and/or left for the servo to cool off. For the lack of better explanations,it's accumulated heat so to speak

It may or may not be the cause of his servo's frying. I wanted to explain why his end points can't be good to go since he can't adjust them.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:55 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Sorry I should have explained but my knuckles arent stopping, at my endpoints I only get a little bit of rub from the link on the bulkhead. But I was running my first servo alot harder anyway. I'd like to try out another servo but I don't want to destroy it.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:20 PM   #9
MWRCA'er

If your using a radio without endpoints just install a smaller servo horn till you get it to stop where you want. I have EPA's and do this anyways so that I can get the max torque out of my servo.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:26 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

That's wat I did. I need to find out wat could have killed my servos, does anybody have any ideas?
Old 10-26-2008, 05:38 PM   #11
MWRCA'er

If I had to wager a guess I would say the esc is messed up. I'm not a Tazer ESC expert but most budget escs of similar design rarely put out a full 6.0 volts. However, maybe upgrade to a Castle BEC that way you can still use your current esc? I mean at the worst the Castle BEC would provide more power to the servos for more power if you still decide to upgrade later on down the road.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote