Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: ESC ? which is better

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default ESC ? which is better

So i'm a nubee to the pro crawler class and i want to hear what you have to say about 2 different ESC's?
I have been looking at the holmes Br mini's and the castle creations mini's

What i want to Know is what is the real difference between the 2 and what are your diss likes and likes.

I only want to purchase the ESC's once I hate wasting $
all24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: ESC ? which is better

I will overlook your spelling & grammer.

If you're running brushed motors and not getting them wet, grab the Holmes Hobbies BR-XL mini's.

Basically (other than the internal BEC) you are getting a "brushed Mamba Max Pro". You WILL need an external BEC though.

The Holmes won't run a brushless motor, but it has no other "real" limitation. Load up the input volts, no limitation on motor winds......
Add in a Castle 10A BEC, and you're done. The nice thing is, a Castle Link will program the external BEC as well as the HH ESC.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Holmes x2
Just sold my castle micros and fixin to order some holmes pretty soon to run on my XR!
Done quite a bit of research on them and hear many good things...
Anything holmes related is great!
1r3land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
I will overlook your spelling & grammer.

If you're running brushed motors and not getting them wet, grab the Holmes Hobbies BR-XL mini's.

Basically (other than the internal BEC) you are getting a "brushed Mamba Max Pro". You WILL need an external BEC though.

The Holmes won't run a brushless motor, but it has no other "real" limitation. Load up the input volts, no limitation on motor winds......
Add in a Castle 10A BEC, and you're done. The nice thing is, a Castle Link will program the external BEC as well as the HH ESC.
Yeah I suck at speling and grammer..... I defiantly will be running a BEC for sure. I will also be running a Brushless motor probably a puller 500 I haven't made a decision yet.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Eyem glahd eye whent two collidge..I wuldnt whant peeple two naht kno whut eye wuz ritting.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post
Eyem glahd eye whent two collidge..I wuldnt whant peeple two naht kno whut eye wuz ritting.
Yeah......... I can't stop laughing to this.... Whats your opinion buddy? and by the way collage does't mean your better than everyone it just means that you have been trying to complete a higher learning than some people, and might still be looking for a job... sorry if that harsh.. No pun intended Thats life.... and just so you know it does suck trying to get a job these days collage degree or not!!!!!
Old 11-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by all24 View Post
Yeah I suck at speling and grammer..... I defiantly will be running a BEC for sure. I will also be running a Brushless motor probably a puller 500 I haven't made a decision yet.
500 pullers are brushed motors
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by all24 View Post
Yeah......... I can't stop laughing to this.... Whats your opinion buddy? and by the way collage does't mean your better than everyone it just means that you have been trying to complete a higher learning than some people, and might still be looking for a job... sorry if that harsh.. No pun intended Thats life.... and just so you know it does suck trying to get a job these days collage degree or not!!!!!
Well I haven't used either of them but I prefer a brushed set up over any brushless for crawling or even trail trucks..Brushless has come a long way but still doesn't match a quality brushed esc and motor for low rpm control

Im suggesting a brushed motor for that reason..Cant comment on the ESCs as I don't know anything about them to be honest with you.

I will be getting the Holmes Hobbies BR-XL full size esc though when my RTR Axial AE2 decides to go south.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:48 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Thank you for your Input!!! Thats why i started this thread
Old 11-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittman View Post
500 pullers are brushed motors
Yeah i ment brushed motor
Old 11-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I run twin micro winders in my xr. My buddy has the holmes esc's in his xr. My rig has a much smoother throttle curve, & a MUCH stronger drag brake. The micro winders are excellent for this app. It's funny how us crawler cats like stuff in phases. heavy was in, now light is in. Twin fxr's were the setup for awhile, now its the sidewinders. but it seems folks are gettin bored with those now too. So some goffy-ass reason will be used to ditch the micro winders in favor of a new flavor of the month. I've run most combos of current esc's favored for moa duties, & the castles are without a doubt the best i've used so far. Good luck!
jado6006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I've been using three different BRXL's in three different rigs that I have. One of them is going on two years now with no failures. They are the regular size BRXL.
raceeng18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:47 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jado6006 View Post
I run twin micro winders in my xr. My buddy has the holmes esc's in his xr. My rig has a much smoother throttle curve, & a MUCH stronger drag brake. The micro winders are excellent for this app. It's funny how us crawler cats like stuff in phases. heavy was in, now light is in. Twin fxr's were the setup for awhile, now its the sidewinders. but it seems folks are gettin bored with those now too. So some goffy-ass reason will be used to ditch the micro winders in favor of a new flavor of the month. I've run most combos of current esc's favored for moa duties, & the castles are without a doubt the best i've used so far. Good luck!
That's called progress.... Not trend....

While MSW is great (and is still great, they are on my Pro), BR-mini is even better (on my 2.2s. MSW first, how BR-Mini). Its smoother, Holmes Hold, 4s capable, different foot print, crawler specific design. What's not to like?

Not saying Br-Mini is a game changer, but is a nice logical progression from MSW.
Colgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:58 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Progress!!!! Is correct

Thank you for posting your opinions they are a very big help!!

Keep them coming
Old 11-27-2013, 11:26 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Let's put the constant failure we all read bout the micros aside, cause castle has one hell of a replacement program, they Have too!
Yes, the br mini's are "castle" but designed for crawling specifically.
I started off with fxr's and still have them for back up, incase of/if ever a problem. They are plug an play.
The fxr's Never let me down and had Way better mixing then micros. Micros were on or off, I would of rather had a punk dig..
Now on with the micros to the br mini's..
The br mini's have bigger brass in the board itself and deliver more power then the micros. Crawler specific, small in size and a Holmes product!
I wasn't sold over the fxr's at first, then a spent some time throwing some packs thru them and wouldn't change back. Currently pulling 30t HH pro flows(3slot) for some 13t 500 crawl type pullers(5 slot). Throttle up and low end resolution was super smooth as was. I can only Imagine how much smoother it will be once a squeeze off for the first run with the pullers.
Hands down the easiest choice here(besides running a hitec servo). Not to mention you can buy the br mini's smashed and wired straight off the Holmes website! :thumbup::cool:
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote

ESC ? which is better - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which ESC Brake/Reverse Type Setting on my Mamba Max ESC? b00st3d Venom Creeper 3 01-24-2010 04:34 PM
RX pack & ESC, remove the red wire or leave the ESC switch off BenW Electronics 5 02-23-2005 06:25 PM