Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Tekin FXR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2008, 03:54 PM   #21
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

It can operate without the cap, but the FETS are at risk of premature death. I forgot to put mine on and ran it that way for months, and on a high power setup too. NOt a good idea.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2008, 07:54 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4crawlin View Post
It can not operate with out the cap, so why leave it out.
IT IS Bigger, Poor Dumb a$$ design ! . Just put what it needs in the box
Do you have one or have you tried one? Before you slam the design, I would suggest that you try it first, or try someones rig that has one. While I, am many others here appreciate constructive feedback, your comment serves no purpose on the forum in the way that you've stated it and you make yourself look dumb!

Just a thought

kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:04 PM   #23
RCC Addict

I agree with what brett said ^ I actually laughed when i saw that post

I love my FXR and actually like the fact that it is on the out side of the box. I dont think the word "poor design" should be associated anywhere near the word tekin or FXR, IMO they created the best esc for a crawler.
dirk379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:32 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

I would also prefer the HUGE cap inside of my FXR case, instead of outside the box. Tekin could make the case slightly taller and fit it inside and it would be easier to see the LEDs when programming and to get my finger in there to push the buttons.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:57 PM   #25
Pullman Crawler

i love mine! and on putting that thing inside. i like it just as it is. you can solder a wire to each lead and to the esc then you can mount it anywhere. keep it out of the way of just mount it in a dead place that nothing else could fit in and keep the CG lower. to Tekin and the FX-R.
oh also if there is anyone in the California central valley that want to stop by and use my hot wire PM me.

Last edited by A_Jeeper; 11-15-2008 at 02:00 PM.
A_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 05:22 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
I would also prefer the HUGE cap inside of my FXR case, instead of outside the box. Tekin could make the case slightly taller and fit it inside and it would be easier to see the LEDs when programming and to get my finger in there to push the buttons.
I agree.
ejej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:04 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

I just got my fxr...and I'm using the cap, I'm running it with 2 35T motors and my esc is getting hot...is anyone else experiencing thi kind of problem?
slip408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:14 AM   #28
Pebble Pounder

What size battery are you using?
GixxerGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:50 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxerGeoff View Post
What size battery are you using?
I'm using a 3S 2000mah lipo battery...I was thinking if its because I'm running 2 motors on a berg axle geared @ 14T front/13T rear....IDK maybe I'm over analyzing it...so, I was planning on getting another FXR, one for each motor...need help! might just get a fan and face it to the solder poles...its lighting up all 6 LED with just 5 minuts of running.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:21 AM   #30

Are you running the caps?
Old 11-19-2008, 09:55 AM   #31
RCC Addict

You probably should have gone with the FXRpro, we rated the FXR to 3S with one 35T motor, having two is pretty good load for it to handle.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:42 PM   #32
Pebble Pounder

This makes me curious, John, how many turns are your mini torquemaster motors? What do you guys think about running a 3s lipo with a MTM on my fxr? It has run fine so far, I guess I never considered the turn count, I just figured the load with the small motor would be safe...
GixxerGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:35 PM   #33
Pebble Pounder

just an fyi you dont need to put it on the esc you could put it near the battery http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=600
jombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:02 AM   #34
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo View Post
just an fyi you dont need to put it on the esc you could put it near the battery http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=600
That's actually a bad idea, having it that far away from the ESC would pretty much be like not having one at all. The cap has to be as close as it can get to where the actual switching of power happens, which is why it needs to be soldered to the posts. Ideally, on the back of the FXR with the leads soldered to the bottom of the posts, but on top is pretty much the same.

If you have it out there on 6" of wire plus it's on the other side of a connector, that's a lot of resistance that the ripple current would pretty much disappear in and never make it to the cap, then the cap would have nothing to give back to the ESC when it switches and makes a connection again.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:05 AM   #35

Right, the cap is there to smooth out the ripple voltage caused by fet switching. It needs to be as close to the FETs as possible to work properly, IE where tekin recommends in the instructions. Installing it anywhere else will ruin the fets in a hurry.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:53 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Are you running the caps?
I'm currently running the cap the way the instruction said to place it

Quote:
You probably should have gone with the FXRpro, we rated the FXR to 3S with one 35T motor, having two is pretty good load for it to handle.
Yeah I noticed that on the instructions that the FXR was tested for 1 35T motor w/ 3s lipo...so, I'll probably pick up another one tomorrow...and the drag brake is amazing. My question is that will the FXR-pro handle two HH 35T motors and Rattshack switch dig?
Old 11-20-2008, 11:03 AM   #37

Yes, the pro will do that.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:06 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

So you guys are saying for those folks running Berg and 35t or 45t motors that the FXR is not recommended or will fry and we should buy a 2nd or a FXR pro

also if it's so important that the cap be close to the poles why didn't Tekin put the cap inside

I have had many Tekin ESC's and very happy with them, they usually last longer than my novaks. Cap outside makes NO sense other than you can replace it or upgrade it...?

My ESC's
Tekin FXR just bought for berg still in box
Tekin TSC 411 G2 from a 107mph drag rc 18 cell yr1988
Tekin TSC 610-R from 1995 stop working in 2006
Tekin Rebel2 x2 2006
Castle Mamba max 2007
Novak T-1X 1988
Novak 610r 1996
Novak 610 hrv x2 1996
novak fried T4

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 11-20-2008 at 12:15 PM.
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:01 PM   #39
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4crawlin View Post
So you guys are saying for those folks running Berg and 35t or 45t motors that the FXR is not recommended or will fry and we should buy a 2nd or a FXR pro

also if it's so important that the cap be close to the poles why didn't Tekin put the cap inside

I have had many Tekin ESC's and very happy with them, they usually last longer than my novaks. Cap outside makes NO sense other than you can replace it or upgrade it...?
We put the cap outside to keep the footprint small and I think it was a smart decision. Caps blow up, can't change that, they die, go bad whatever and when they do, now the customer can just get another and solder it on themselves, worry free of ruining anything internal. Who would want to take their ESC apart and solder a cap directly to the PCB? Or have to send it all the way in to us to have it replaced and pay service charges? A simple 5-minute, $6 cap swap could turn into a 2 week $30 venture if it were inside.

Basically, we're saving you money and making it easier to keep your ESC operation. So quit whining! :-P

Ty
Old 11-20-2008, 01:06 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty@Tekin View Post
We put the cap outside to keep the footprint small and I think it was a smart decision. Caps blow up, can't change that, they die, go bad whatever and when they do, now the customer can just get another and solder it on themselves, worry free of ruining anything internal. Who would want to take their ESC apart and solder a cap directly to the PCB? Or have to send it all the way in to us to have it replaced and pay service charges? A simple 5-minute, $6 cap swap could turn into a 2 week $30 venture if it were inside.

Basically, we're saving you money and making it easier to keep your ESC operation. So quit whining! :-P

Ty
understood Sorry, I have been out of work and it's taking a bad toll on me.

I guess with the new high power of these amazing ESC's that is a great idea for replacement.

again my apologies
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote