Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Tekin FXR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2008, 01:41 PM   #41
RCC Addict

It's all good, I wasn't trying to be mean or anything. Joking about the whining part, I just threw that in there
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2008, 07:30 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

[quote=toy4crawlin;1436408]So you guys are saying for those folks running Berg and 35t or 45t motors that the FXR is not recommended or will fry and we should buy a 2nd or a FXR pro

So whats the Verdict on this
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:51 PM   #43
Official Cook of the ECC

[quote=toy4crawlin;1436951]
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4crawlin View Post
So you guys are saying for those folks running Berg and 35t or 45t motors that the FXR is not recommended or will fry and we should buy a 2nd or a FXR pro

That was already answered.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:57 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

[quote=Scattman;1437096]
Quote:

That was already answered.
where??????
because i missed that part,, too...
roksloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:03 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

[QUOTE=toy4crawlin;1436951]
Quote:
So you guys are saying for those folks running Berg and 35t or 45t motors that the FXR is not recommended or will fry and we should buy a 2nd or a FXR pro

I currently run twin 35 singles (Parallel)/3C Lipo in my berg 2.2 with a single FX-R, HOWEVER this exceeds the specs clearly stated on both the Tekin site and there manual and by exceeding these specs effectively void my warranty. Why? When you run the 35x1 in parallel, your effectively doubling the wind (17.5x1) and this exceeds the FX-R's specs.

If you are running a berg with anything higher than 60x1 you run the risk of damaging the ESC.

Last edited by kaetwo; 11-20-2008 at 09:06 PM.
kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:18 PM   #46
Official Cook of the ECC

Quote:

Right here, about 10 posts back. Come on guys, do a little reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty@Tekin View Post
You probably should have gone with the FXRpro, we rated the FXR to 3S with one 35T motor, having two is pretty good load for it to handle.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:09 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

EDIT: There are so many Bergs running 1 FXR How can that work

so many are running just one I was not smart and "assumed" one was good. That's why I always asked even silly questions

oops, didn;t see it

Thanks Ty & Scatman

Looks like a return to TCS

You mean Lower
Kaetow
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaetwo View Post
If you are running a berg with anything higher than 60x1 you run the risk of damaging the ESC.

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 11-21-2008 at 11:05 PM.
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 05:38 PM   #48
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty@Tekin View Post
That's actually a bad idea, having it that far away from the ESC would pretty much be like not having one at all. The cap has to be as close as it can get to where the actual switching of power happens, which is why it needs to be soldered to the posts. Ideally, on the back of the FXR with the leads soldered to the bottom of the posts, but on top is pretty much the same.

If you have it out there on 6" of wire plus it's on the other side of a connector, that's a lot of resistance that the ripple current would pretty much disappear in and never make it to the cap, then the cap would have nothing to give back to the ESC when it switches and makes a connection again.

for you that didnt understand that "ripple effect" here you go
The multiphase buck converter topology also has more packaging advantages than just the reduction in the number of input and output capacitors. Each channel is converting power at a fraction of the conventional buck converter, which will reduce the size of the inductors and power MOSFETs used in the design. SMT inductors can be used along with SMT power MOSFETs (SOIC-8 package), resulting in a low-profile design. A multiphase buck converter designed to stepdown a 5-V input to 1.65-V output at 50 A has demonstrated a power-transfer efficiency of more than 80%, eliminating the need for heatsinks.

so there you have it in a nutshell why the capacitor is needed and it needs to be as close as possible
thankyou tekin for the lesson
jombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:16 PM   #49

What are the specs on the capacitor? I've broken off one of the legs, it has just enough left to allow it to be soldered on but I'd like to replace it.
jakepkoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 12:28 PM   #50
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakepkoe View Post
What are the specs on the capacitor? I've broken off one of the legs, it has just enough left to allow it to be soldered on but I'd like to replace it.
16V 330uf, anything that size or bigger will do ya just fine.

Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:32 PM   #51
Rock Crawler

Just wondering why ppl are so quick to bash tekin for putting the cap outside of the box? Seams to me that the Rooster Crawler is the same way but noone complains about it...could it be that because novak soldered it on for you it makes is ok?

Just my two cents
Nate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:13 PM   #52
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate08 View Post
Just wondering why ppl are so quick to bash tekin for putting the cap outside of the box? Seams to me that the Rooster Crawler is the same way but noone complains about it...could it be that because novak soldered it on for you it makes is ok?

Just my two cents
As I was reading through all these posts I was thinking the very same thing about the rooster and goat I have. Cap is outside on them too and they are WAAAAY bigger footprints AND overal size.
Illeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:32 PM   #53
Pebble Pounder

i have my bec conected and when i plug mine in to hotwire it doesnt do anything... it still says to plug it in.... is it because my bec is on it? i got it from someone and they disconected one of the wires so the power goes to the bec.... is that it?
BL44ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:43 PM   #54
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Does the BEC power up? Your usb may not have enough power to boot both up. Try plugging a battery pack into the fxr.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:56 PM   #55
Pebble Pounder

i thought so let me try again.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:50 PM   #56

Whenever I hook up the hotwire I have to reconnect the red wire that goes from the esc to the rx plug, which was disconnected when the bec went in. Hooking up a battery might work too, I think it just needs to get some power to the esc.
jakepkoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:56 PM   #57
Pebble Pounder

yeah its set up but one question what is the best for the lipo cut off... for 2c and 3c
Old 12-02-2008, 03:42 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by biteme View Post
#1 drag brake set at 11
#2 neutral width set at 3
#3 current limit set to off
#4 push control set at 2
#5 brake reverse set at 2
#5 throttle profile set at 1
#6 voltage cutoff set at 3 i run a 3s lipo
i think your getting the FX and the FXR confused. according to my spec sheet the FXR uses LED 5 for brake reverse setting where as the FX uses it for throttle profile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip408 View Post
I just got my fxr...and I'm using the cap, I'm running it with 2 35T motors and my esc is getting hot...is anyone else experiencing thi kind of problem?
The FXR may only use a 2 cell LiPo. the FXR Pro only may use a 3 cell LiPo. at least thats what the spec sheet is telling me. I was using a 3 cell on my FXR and it would glitch out and go full throttle after a minute or 2 of driving. then i went down to a 2 cell and the problem cleared.
Nuclear Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:28 PM   #59
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear Dave View Post
The FXR may only use a 2 cell LiPo. the FXR Pro only may use a 3 cell LiPo. at least thats what the spec sheet is telling me. I was using a 3 cell on my FXR and it would glitch out and go full throttle after a minute or 2 of driving. then i went down to a 2 cell and the problem cleared.
If you go onto Tekins web site it states that the FXR can run 3s lipo with a 35t motor or higher.
HiloDB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:28 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Does the BEC power up? Your usb may not have enough power to boot both up. Try plugging a battery pack into the fxr.
I'm definatly considering this ECS for my 2009 Comp rig do you have to use a external BEC?
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote