Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: setting up 3pm-fm futaba

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2004, 11:17 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default setting up 3pm-fm futaba

need help to set up my new futaba 3pm-fm with rear streer useing two hs5645mgs asap

thanks
1beatjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2004, 11:39 AM   #2
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Default Re: setting up 3pm-fm futaba

Do you have a manual? If not go to Futaba's web site to download one.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 11:41 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I regret to inform you that your rear steering will not be fully functional. I have the same radio and I can onlt turn one way and center it. Or you can have it center to one side and then turn the other. But you will have to hold it to go straight. it's just not the right radio to use for 4WS. I'm stuck with it too.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 11:50 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

rckjeep i pm you.Are you sure about the radio.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:45 PM   #5
MODERATOR™

Well this is depressing...
What about assigning the two thumb buttons on the grip to do different directions?
One button turns the wheels right or center, and the other button turns left or center.
I'm gonna try when I get home.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 01:33 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

what radio can you use to run the rear streer. does anyone know.i was inform this radio would work.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:13 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Well I have the same radio and mine has a 3rd channel switch that is two position. Is yours the same? You'd need three positions to make it work. I have heard you can use a Y harness to link both front and rear servos together. But I want to make them work independently of each other. Like Badgers Hitec radio.

I'll check my PM's
Old 08-23-2004, 02:28 PM   #8
AFJ
Pebble Pounder

maybe there would be possible to make a "switch" that would be on the 2 position button, one position would make wheels turn same way, and other position would make them turn in different positions, i think it would be possible to make and not very expensive, im interested cause i also have 2 position switch on my radio, and would aprreciate 4WS but ill probably use y-harness with revers so it will make them turm opposite ways
AFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 02:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1beatjeep
what radio can you use to run the rear streer. does anyone know.i was inform this radio would work.
Do a search here and you will find some good info on 3 channel radio's.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:37 PM   #10
MODERATOR™

Welp, seems it won't work. I read, and tried it all.
So, that stinks.
Maybe, instead of the 2 position SW2 switch, it can be replaced with a 3 position switch.

Is that what someone was saying?

My radio is too new to open up already...
Old 08-23-2004, 03:48 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

There are a few choices, Futaba 3pk, 3pj, Hitec Agressor CRX, JR XR3.

The 3pk will do everything including cook your breakfast and wipe your a*s. If you want to go with digital servos and spend big $ then this is your control.

Other controls which you can use analogue servos with are the JR XR3 or the Hitec Agressor CRX (my choice). The JR is the cheapest and does not need crystals but is limited to Std 4ws or crab steer where as the others offer Front only, Rear only, Crab, Normal, Steer with the front while holding the rear to one side... the list goes on, it's depends how creative you want to be with the programing.

The futaba 3pj is another option but I have no experience in how they can be set up.

A couple of guys use aeroplane 4 ch stick controlers but to me seem a bit too fiddly.

Check your manual for channel mixing and program the rear with that.

On my CRX I set up a different model for each type of steer I want and drive in the programming mode and just switch between them.

Or on the JR you just toggle the rear servo between Std and Rev. to give you normal 4ws or crab.

This post was chopped and added to from some previous posts so I hope it makes sense.
TXTFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 04:11 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

i went to search and have not found nathing yet . how about some help here. thanks
Old 08-23-2004, 04:22 PM   #13

TXTFUN just spelled it out for you.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:33 PM   #14
MODERATOR™

I've found, you can go only all the way right, or all the way left.
So, you could always crab steer, or always standard 4 wheel steer.
But not have the rear wheels centered!!

to Futaba for that one. (and to me too for buying it)
Old 08-23-2004, 04:37 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I've got one, the third channel can only be used as an on/off switch, andf all the third channel switches are the same. You can't use one for one thing and the other for something else, they just give you the option on location. I feel this radio is harder than it needs to be to set up. And only three spaces to name your models leaves something to be desired...
Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 04:46 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

I had a quick look on the futaba site and it looks like it may be like the CRX.

1st question. When you select between the 10 programable model memories is it in a menu where the controls still all function?

If yes then you are in luck. Set your models to each steer type and toggle between them as you drive. See Bottom.

If no then is the servo reverse settings in a menu where the controls still work?

If yes then then drive in this mode and toggle between 4ws and crab steer as you need it by reversing the 3rd channel.

If no again then I'd either put a 3 way switch in place of the shift button or use the trim buttons to slowly steer the rear (pretty crappy option) or get yourself a new radio.

To set up the models for the steering types:

Set up the normal 4ws, 3rd chanel must be linear (so it works off the wheel) and mixed 100% with the steering channel and reversed sometimes called -100%. Set all your sub trims and EPA's and copy this model to the 1st 5 places.

You now change the function of the 3rd channel to suit the steer type you want.

For Front only set mixing of 3rd to 0%.

For Crab set mixing of 3rd to 100% with no reverse.

For Rear only set front EPA's to 0 so the front doesnt turn at all.

For an handy extra one set the 3rd to switch so it holds the rear at full lock either side with one of the buttons (like you have already), This one is good for low traction climbs where you need the rear pointing into a ledge or something all the time but still want to steer with the front.

Then name your models so you dont get confused and get into the programing menu before you drive. You wont be able to use you timer but boo hoo, you will have 4ws

I hope this helps and you work it out.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:01 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Man! TXTFUN that's a lot of reading. I may have to read that few more times till I get it. What's EPA anyway? I think I have a reading disability.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:15 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I tried to make it as simple as possible too, you should try reading the manual for the 3pk, no kidding it 68 A4 pages 8O

EPA is your End Point Adjustment to restrict how far your servos turn so they aren't wearing out your servo savers for no reason.

I just downloaded the manual for the 3pm and it looks like this should work provided the unit still transmits while it is in the model select mode.

The channel mixing seems to be worded more complicated than it has to be, but just set your steering as the master and 3rd as the slave.

It's not like futaba to make a crappy radio. I'm sure you guys will work something out.

Feel free to shoot me more questions if you need to.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:36 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Hang on I did more reading...

It's hard to say without a radio in front of me but it looks like it has a 2nd programable mix. Go to page 41 in the manual

Or maybe it's just one single programable mix. Basically you need to assign which button to use it on, then select which is the master and slave and the %. This mix is then switched on by the button you assigned earlier.

I dont know if you can set a mix with the button switched off or not so you have 2 in total, or if this is just the same as my Linear/Switch function in my menu I'm thinking it is. I think you'll have to play around, Hopefully you can set this mix and leave it on and still toggle between a different one on each model, but one thing is becoming clear, keep the control away from 3yr olds cause you don't wanna have to program this thing twice
Old 08-23-2004, 06:32 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

i have tryed that and it wont let you move the third channal at all.except lock to lock. thanks again