Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: newb combo question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2009, 01:39 PM   #1

Default newb combo question

hi guys, im planning on using the mamba max/castle brushless 5700 /2200 20c 3s lipo. also spektrum dx6i tx and rx. does the rx connect to the mamba just like on my trex heli or is the wiring different for crawlers? can you point me in the direction of some connection diagrams?
cheers rob jones
djrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2009, 05:25 AM   #2
On the lookout for Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrobot View Post
hi guys, im planning on using the mamba max/castle brushless 5700 /2200 20c 3s lipo. also spektrum dx6i tx and rx. does the rx connect to the mamba just like on my trex heli or is the wiring different for crawlers? can you point me in the direction of some connection diagrams?
cheers rob jones
I don't know exact how your heli wires up, but the MM will plug directly into the Throttle Ch on your AR6200 Receiver, Steering Servo into whichever channel you prefer.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
DMC
Rock Stacker

Quote:
cheers rob jones
A 5700 in a crawler? I doubt you'll be happy with it unless you have really, really deep gearing (like a 3 spd plus a t'case). The start up amp draw is crazy on those motors when they are in a bind (just in general). That and I've found they do not have a lot of braking force even with a 100% drag brake setting. Great for high speed racing and bashing but not really an ideal crawler motor. Don't get me wrong I love the MM 5700 combo on 3S in my slash!

If you want brushless the Novak goat is a decent option. Really though a good brushed motor is the best IMHO. I run a CC Sidewinder and a Holmes Hobbies 7T on 3 cell. Hard to beat that combo.
DMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:13 AM   #4

cheers dmc,
ive got a timberwlof with the rc4wd 2 speed tranny . im loking for a general purpose machine with a bit of speed and crawling? do you still think the mamba max and 5700 would be overkill?
Old 01-09-2009, 03:45 PM   #5
DMC
Rock Stacker

Quote:
cheers dmc,
ive got a timberwlof with the rc4wd 2 speed tranny . im loking for a general purpose machine with a bit of speed and crawling? do you still think the mamba max and 5700 would be overkill?
The 5700 is not a crawling motor. Maybe if you put the deepest spur and pinion ratio you can fit (like a 90+T and a 10T) you might get away with it but I really doubt it. Will it still be fast? Yes, to a degree but it will have a lot of trouble crawling.

Most unsensored brushless motors produce great power but they are hard to get to "start-up" especially from a stop when there is significant resistance on the drive-line (i.e. in the rocks). You will see it do a whole bunch of hum, chirp, chirp, and glitch back and forth and then maybe go or just fail to move at all depending on the level of resistance. It will also tank your batteries really quick because of the start up draw and the fact that you will hold it WOT a lot more bashing around

With that said, if you are mudding or snow bashing they can be fun. I ran a novak SS4300 in mine for snow bashing and that was a blast. Lots of wheel speed on 3s and it jumped pretty good (for a crawler) too. However, when it came in-doors to our garage rock set up, it SUCKED big time. I swapped a sh@tty axial 27T motor in and it was a MAJOR IMPROVEMENT! My buddy ran a 5700 and broke the output on his AX-10 tranny just touching a bit of dryer rock while at full throttle. Just to warn you.

Like I said, if you want a brushless crawler look for a high turn sensored set up like the goat. It can still be pretty quick for a crawler. Can you hang with your buddies e-revo or something like that? Hell no, not even close.

If you like brushless and crawling with moderate wheel speed the Goat really your only option. Remember it is only 2s capable though. A buddy has one and with the right gearing it is the quickest/fastest crawler of the bunch even with a 2s (well actually he runs an 8 cell 2/3A saddle from time to time -- don't tell Novak though!)

Personally I find that system limited in settings and options. Further I really like my Mamba max/brushed set up. The HH 7T Cobalt on 3s has more power and control than the goat with just about the same wheelspeed if I run a slightly higher (faster) gear set-up. Really the extra gear only helps on the top end as there is so much bottom end on this motor I don't really miss it (running 87T spur and an 18T pinion). Great for my needs. Then again, I have a brushless slash on 3s lipo for my speed/bashing/jumping kicks.

Last edited by DMC; 01-09-2009 at 03:48 PM.
DMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:47 AM   #6

i heard the cobalt 7t puller wont fit in the timberwolf with my tranny setup as its too long and interfears with links? could you suggest a suitable motor to run with the mamba max thats smaller either brushless or brushed?
also i know its the wrong thread but is there a 2.4ghz tx with 5 or 6 channels that has a sprung throttle stick (im in uk so i use mode 2)?
many thanks rob