Nihm 17 28.33%
Lipo 46 76.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Lipo vs. Nihm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2009, 07:02 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Lipo vs. Nihm

Which to run??? is it worth it to buy a lipo charger and 2 more battries or just kep running my 6 cell nihm packs???

Thanks
rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2009, 07:08 PM   #2

I personally don't think it is worth converting everything over if you are already set up at the moment. You may however consider phasing one out for the other. The next time you need a battery, buy a Lipo and a charger (and so on).

The only time I think it is a good idea to just take the plunge is when you need to have the best for racing, the lightest and most powerful for flying, etc.

The third scenario that it may make sense is if you just have some money that you don't know what to do with and just have to have the best of everything.

BTW, there is an electronics section.
Sparky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:30 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

oh i did not know, does a admin have to move my post or what???

thanks for the info
Old 01-18-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

on my crawlers, I personally like running 8cell nimh packs. easily made by just about anyone.and fairly cheap. I do on the other hand prefer Lipos on my traxxas slash though. I like the speed. the crawlers are not fast and i've learned to deal with that and 8 cell gets me plenty of wheel speed (for a crawler). So unless you've got more money than you know what to do with I dont think its that big of a deal.......that just my opinion though.
Jkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:59 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I like running 7 cell Nihm Saddle packs. It gets more weight on the front axle. Lipos are nice but expensive, can have difficulty charging and usually give you the run time as a equally mAH rated Nihm.
moabax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:02 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

personally i like running 3s li-po. less weight, smaller than nimh and quite a bit more wheelspeed.
Lil Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:12 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

i run nimh cause it is way cheaper than lipo. but i would want to switch over. I just cant pony up the 100 plus for the charger plus the 100 for batteries
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:14 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Odd, I was able to vote for both. I like my lipo pack on my crawler but there are a number of downsides. If I run it down it takes forever to charge, same size nimh pack I could probably charge about 2x as fast. My lipo also worries me a little, its very small (15c) so I worry about popping it, and no lipo cutoff too. Its small and light though so I can place it almost anywhere, and strategically place weight. Nimhs are cheap though, half the cost of lipo - same can be said about the chargers. Gotta keep the lipo's off the rocks too.
phillyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:17 PM   #9
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Lipo all the way. It is cheaper in the long run, the cells last more cycles than nimh. There are also fewer cells in a pack to go bad, and of course for the same space you can have more power (runtime, voltage).

nimh is good when a lipo form factor just wont fit.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:29 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Lipo just for the fact that I can charge my pack on monday and on friday use it and it has not lost any charge.... Nimh will start discharging after it is unhooked from the charger.
Lipo is dangerous if you don't know what your doing, especially when charging! Having a fire safe place to charge your pack is a must! I use a ceramic flower pot...

I just saw I think losi makes it I will try and find a link for it. A unit for like $30 that plugs inbetween your lipo pack and your current charger to safely charge lipo...
jlmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:30 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by moabax View Post
I like running 7 cell Nihm Saddle packs. It gets more weight on the front axle. Lipos are nice but expensive, can have difficulty charging and usually give you the run time as a equally mAH rated Nihm.
are you crazy?? my 2000 lipo lasts 3 times as a 3600 mah nimh battery my buddy use. you dont have to every worry about cycling them, you dont have to let them cool down before you recharge or use them, you dont have to worry about them gettin messed up while theyr in storage for a bit. lipo 100%!!!! im so glad i switched. i drift as well and a 5000 mah nimh battery lasted me about 30-45 minutes. my 3600 lipo last about 60-75 minutes.
JaDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:30 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

here it is...

http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSB9607
jlmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:08 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

alright thanks guys i think i might stay with Nihm packs for now my ESC just fried so i have to buy a new one i think im going to go ahead and get a cc mamba max or something else if anybody on here has a good deal for me
Old 01-18-2009, 09:16 PM   #14
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I have an "ESC" coupon on my site for any ESC, good for 18% off. New, with warrenty of course.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:23 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
I have an "ESC" coupon on my site for any ESC, good for 18% off. New, with warrenty of course.
sweet thanks for the info
Old 01-18-2009, 11:28 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

lipo for sure. i can take 2 3s lipos and be good for the whole day without worrying about charging a battery. the power is awesome and the run times are even better.
webster420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:56 PM   #17

You cant touch the power of a lipo.Went from a 8 cell saddle pack to a 3 cell lipo and it was like day and night.Wheel speed and torque was amazing.Just changing the battery was like going from a 55 turn motor to a 45 turn motor.As far as cost goes they are not that expensive.I got my lipos from ckrc for $30.00 each compared to the 8 cell which is like $27.00 and got a ac/dc charger for $70.00.On the charger I have it does not take that long to charge specially if the batteries are balanced right.
Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:26 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I use both because I have them, but I will not buy another nimh. With lipo I can run a lot longer between charges. Like stated above, takes less room.
lukedaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:52 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

I like my 8 cells ok but the added power from the 11.1v lipo is just to good to pass up. I will be able to gear down for added torque and still have all the wheel speed I need. I can't wait to get my LiPo stuff ordered.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:13 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

ok well next time i go to buy a battry ill get lipo stuff

thanks