Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Check my plan for power?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 08:27 PM   #1

Default Check my plan for power?

I'm building up my first crawler. I've read a number of the threads here and have formed an idea of what I want to do - I'd like to check with the forum to see if I have any glaring gaps in my plan. Any quick replies are appreciated.

I'm building a 2.2 semi scale daily runner.

I'm planning on:
55t motor (brand not determined)
Lipo's 11.1V (recommend brand?)
Novak ESC with lipo limiter
a stick radio system because I'm used to planes and boats and plan on rear steer, etc.
I will add seperate receiver batt pack (I think if it will fit)

Am I in the ball park???

Again - I'm a newbie - have been searching the threads. I'm
interested in your experience if you have time to give it.

THX!
Ernie
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2009, 11:12 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

You plan on getting in the water? If the rec pack wont fit, go with a BEC.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:10 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

if you plan or going 3s get either a tekin or a castle speed controll. why have the extra voltage if you're not going to use it?
Lil Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:58 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-celleratorwtf View Post
if you plan or going 3s get either a tekin or a castle speed controll. why have the extra voltage if you're not going to use it?
+1
Why a 3s? More power than needed for the crawler motor. I'd run something with atleast 5A BEC like the rooster esc and if you have problems use a external BEC unit. I don't use one with my rooster and I don't have problems with my 200+ oz. servo.

Get the rooster novak 55t package. 2s lipo(max amps), 3 channel radio (3pm?) and possibly a BEC unit if needed in the future. Basically what I have.
the3kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:20 PM   #5

Thanks for both your replies. I'm on a learning curve here. Based on your inputs and a litttle more review of other posts it looks like the Tekin FXR is the controller to use, a 45or 55t motor, and the 3 cell lipo. And then see if the ext BEC is needed from there. Slowly I am oicking up on the opions. Thx very much! Ernie
Old 01-22-2009, 07:51 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

They are right. Get something that you can use and will grow with you, and don't skimp on the product. Find what kind of crawler you want. then go and check out the crawlers in that forum and read what they are using.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:25 AM   #7
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

The novak is not rated for 3s, and the BEC would be about useless on that voltage.

Otherwise everything is in line.

As for brand recommendations, I am not impartial since I run a biz. Everything on my site I run, enjoy, and can recommend fully.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:52 PM   #8

OK - thanks for the added info. Very much appreciated. And John - nice site. Looks like you have a good selection. Ernie
Old 01-23-2009, 05:09 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Are you "building" a crawler or "putting together" a crawler? If you're "building" one (from scratch) please post up pics. Either way, good luck and have fun
ohmyCLOD! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:48 PM   #10

Well - thanks for asking - here's what I'm doing - and I guess I should capture a few pics. This is my firat "build". I've enjoyed RC stuff for a long time and this is my first crawler. I picked up a Reign K2-5 chassis and BTW - Kaetwo has been a big help getting me started. And i found two used locked TLT axles. I have a set of Pro-Line tires and some axial beadlocks. I've got an early Bronco HPI body that I just trimmed down earlier tonight. This weekend if all goes well I can find some links and shocks. I started now on this thread to see what sort of motor and power supply would be best. I'm sort of settling for a Tekin FXR and a set of Lipo's - I think 3 cell. I still need to look at radios. I've have two radios - one for airplanes and one for a sailboat. Neither are appropriate for this but I'm used to stick radios and I think eventually I'd like rear steer. One of my other hobbies is 4wheelihng - since before I had a license so this new hobbie is a good fit. In the end I'm looking to just get started with a semi scale 2.2. Nothign radical - just fun to build and drive. I'll learn and go on from tere. Once I get further along I'll post the process up in the 2.2 section. and thanks to all fgor your help! Ernie