Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: How to program DX6i for 3 position dig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2009, 09:52 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Exclamation How to program DX6i for 3 position dig

Well after much trial and error I desided to call horizon today to figure out how to program the dx6i for use for a 3 position dig. I felt like an idiot after he explaned it to me, so for those who are looking for this info here it is.

Set up in airplane mode...

Step 1 - go to mix 1 screen
step 2 - select - gear to gear act
step 3 - select - rate D -100% U 0%
step 4 - select - SW flap trim INH

Your dig servo will plug into the gear channel on the rx.

This is almost how it will look on the screen, after these setting then go to travel adjustment screen to set your end-points. With the gear switch pushed back your in 4 wheel, pull gear switch forward to be in dig, when in 4 wheel pull down on flap switch to go to free wheel.....and there you have it.... I hope this helps anyone needing to program there dx6i...

Last edited by mudboger07; 02-05-2009 at 08:08 AM.
mudboger07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2009, 05:40 AM   #2
Just jump it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudboger07 View Post
Well after much trial and error I desided to call horizon today to figure out how to program the dx6i for use for a 3 position dig. I felt like an idiot after he explaned it to me, so for those who are looking for this info here it is.

step 2 - select - gear to gear act
step 3 - select - rate D -100% U 0%
step 4 - select - SW flap trim INH

This is almost how it will look on the screen, after these setting then go to travel adjustment screen to set your end-points. With the gear switch pushed back your in 4 wheel, pull gear switch forward to be in dig, when in 4 wheel pull down on flap switch to go to free wheel.....and there you have it.... I hope this helps anyone needing to program there dx6i...
I am asuming that in airplane mode? Is you servo plugged in the aux slot or gear slot?

Last edited by rottenbelly; 01-29-2009 at 06:27 AM.
rottenbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:20 AM   #3
Just jump it!

Ok I got it. After you get it set like above. Start with gear on zero(pushed away from you) and flap on 1 (towards you) this should put you in freewheel. Go to travel adjustments and start on 30 both ways.
IMPORTANT!! This is where you will make epas from, In the gear settings on travel adjs. Thats why we start in free wheel. Throwing gear switch towards you should give you 4wd ! Set epa for it. Mine ended up at 60%. Then go back to freewheel and push your flap switch up. That should give you rear lock. Set epa in Gear setting on travel adj. Mine worked out at 49%. Flap adjusments are not used!! Left mine at 100%. While in 4wd flap swith should not do anything. If you leave flap switch toward you it will go to freewheel. If you preselect it UP, it will go to rear lock, or you can go to freewheel then throw it in lock. Thanks mudboger07. Hope this helps.
rottenbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:38 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenbelly View Post
Ok I got it. After you get it set like above. Start with gear on zero(pushed away from you) and flap on 1 (towards you) this should put you in freewheel. Go to travel adjustments and start on 30 both ways.
IMPORTANT!! This is where you will make epas from, In the gear settings on travel adjs. Thats why we start in free wheel. Throwing gear switch towards you should give you 4wd ! Set epa for it. Mine ended up at 60%. Then go back to freewheel and push your flap switch up. That should give you rear lock. Set epa in Gear setting on travel adj. Mine worked out at 49%. Flap adjusments are not used!! Left mine at 100%. While in 4wd flap swith should not do anything. If you leave flap switch toward you it will go to freewheel. If you preselect it UP, it will go to rear lock, or you can go to freewheel then throw it in lock. Thanks mudboger07. Hope this helps.
I'm glad it helped you if you reverse the servo it should work as follows...the gear switch and flap switch should be pushed back for 4 wheel, for dig pull forward on the gear switch, for free wheel, the flap switch should be pushed back and the flap switch forward... either way will work....
Old 02-01-2009, 09:34 AM   #5
RCC Addict

This should be added to the stickys,i programed as above for the dig on my rockforce and it worked perfectly!.
Thanks mudboger your the man. id stuffed around for hours with my dx6i trying to mix switchs.
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:02 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipxj View Post
This should be added to the stickys,i programed as above for the dig on my rockforce and it worked perfectly!.
Thanks mudboger your the man. id stuffed around for hours with my dx6i trying to mix switchs.

Thanks Vipxj, i played with it for about 2 months before calling horizon..., I'm glad it helped.....
Old 04-26-2009, 01:56 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I know it's been a few months since the last post on this thread but I figured I would share another success story using this method. It works great on my shafty with homemade pipe dig. I originally wanted the DX6i for a berg build this spring/summer, but I happened along one in a trade with HomerJ and decided to go ahead and run it on my shafty to get used to running a stick radio. While it would be nice if the DX6i had an actual 3-position switch, this setup works well and still allows you to use 3 position dig quite efficiently. Big thanks to the OP for sharing his setup!
Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:59 AM   #8

Very cool info thanks for the tip.
The only thing I am going to try and change is now take the gear switch and make it momentary like the trainer switch so it will be hold up for dig and flap will be switchable for freewheel
KDZ76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

for what it is worth, I simply rotated my left side control 90* and built a simple 3 position gate for the joystick so that I have a dedicated dig, neutral and 4wd position. It has been working perfectly so far.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:36 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Has anyone tried this on a berg?? I would like to have front and rear dig... I will be getting another esc eventually.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:13 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

what if i had front and rear dig and a broken gear switch, could i do it on another switch like mix?
rcpro31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:07 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

can a dx5e be used?
PileDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:16 PM   #13

I plugged the servo for the dig in the gear slot. Worked great for me.

When Rottonbelly states "Go to travel adjustments and start on 30 both ways." While in travel adjust, you just flip the switch and you will see a % for each direction. It took me a minute to get this.

Thanks fellas for the great tip. Now I just need to get the mechanical portion tweaked out and I should be climbing rocks (comp style) like a billy goat!
Wolrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:34 AM   #14

Default Re: How to program DX6i for 3 position dig

STEP 0 GO INTO TRAVEL ADJUST AND TURN DOWN GEAR AND FLAP TO 20% +/-

thanks for this post, i thought id point out turning down end points first as ive just melted my dig servo
sideshowbob is offline   Reply With Quote