Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Banzai or WarriorII

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2009, 10:06 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Banzai or WarriorII

Hey guys I was just looking for honest opinions on which motor is better. They are both availabe in the vendors section right now and wanted to only have to buy 1 lol. I have used Banzai motors in 27t stadium truck and they were top notch. Now I see they have handwound crawler motors for the same as the warriors.
Let me know what you would do.
My setup is Black widow chassi, Sidewinder esc, and 11.1 lipo. I want an enormous amount of torque and good wheel speed.
addictedtonitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2009, 01:08 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I haven't tried the Warriors but I am running the Banzais in my berg. They're very smooth and have plenty of wheel speed.
killjoyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:24 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Of course I'm going to Say Warrior II or even my Warrior-R's. Any brushed motor to someone new to Crawling is going to Feel Smooth. And any brushed motor can have wheelspeed. Wheelspeed comes down to Turns, gearing and Volts. I can tell you right now the guts of those two motors you listed. The Warriors will win hands down. I have sold 100's and 100's of these motors. The Warrior motor took Zach to a 1st place at the 2008 Nats in the 2.2 class.

Last edited by run2jeepn; 02-08-2009 at 01:28 AM.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:46 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I am currently running a Warrior and will be ordering a Warrior II soon. I run mine on a 3 cell and these motors have excellent wheel speed and torque. Jarrod (JPCustoms) has great service and he stands behind his products.
jcnalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:24 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Get a 35 turn 4 magnet motor, will do everything you want.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:28 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtonitro View Post
Hey guys I was just looking for honest opinions on which motor is better. They are both availabe in the vendors section right now and wanted to only have to buy 1 lol. I have used Banzai motors in 27t stadium truck and they were top notch. Now I see they have handwound crawler motors for the same as the warriors.
Let me know what you would do.
My setup is Black widow chassi, Sidewinder esc, and 11.1 lipo. I want an enormous amount of torque and good wheel speed.

I see the major difference being the Banzai is in stock. The warrior is a 2 week wait.
tedmales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:00 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmales View Post
I see the major difference being the Banzai is in stock. The warrior is a 2 week wait.
The only reason the were 2 weeks out is due to the fact of demand. It takes many hours to make these motors. Then when you sell 100 or so in a day. It takes time to produce that. We don't rush itemd to the customer just to make a buck. We do it right the first time... The Warrior Motors have been proven to be the brushed motor of choice.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:15 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I'm not worried about the wait. I'm just making sure I spend my money in the right place, As it doesn't come very often lol. I've ran integy 45t for the last year and a half. This year I'm going all out with a new rig and I want a motor that'll move it right.

With the power in these motors what turn would you suggest Jarrod? I know that my exsisting 45t didn't have enough guts for me but my batt was never really that great either. I'm thinking the warrior in a 45t?

Also what is the typical life span of these type motors? Do you sell replacement brushes? I have a lathe for comm maintnence if needed.

Last edited by addictedtonitro; 02-08-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:26 AM   #9
TEAM MODERATOR

What I fail to see listed on either motor,is the size of the comm and brushes. They are both good handwound arms...good deal. A bigger comm and brush will be the better of the two. Better magnets help as well. Same reason a Holmes Cobalt puller will crush any of these,HUGE comm and brush,cobalt magnets.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:50 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I've seriously pondered the puller from HH but I think it may actually be too much for the terrain we have. I have also looked at his handwounds but I'm not sure he gets them anymore as they are never in stock. I check weekly lol I know anything HH sells is quality or he wouldn't sell it. I'm sure JP is the same. He's very well known.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:07 AM   #11
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
I've seriously pondered the puller from HH but I think it may actually be too much for the terrain we have.
Thats crazy talk.

Quote:
I have also looked at his handwounds but I'm not sure he gets them anymore as they are never in stock. I check weekly lol I know anything HH sells is quality or he wouldn't sell it. I'm sure JP is the same. He's very well known.
John still gets his,just sells out real fast. As most other guys will tell you,GOOD brushed motors are hard to get. Holmes motors are good,Jerrods motors are good and I'm sure the Banzai motors are good. I've never run one,but I've read good reviews on them. The point I was trying to make is that if you have 2 motors,same wind,same arm,same comm,same brush,same magnets,same can....it's all the same

If guys wanna say "My motors all that and a bag of chips" Lets see how and why.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:10 AM   #12
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Mine are never in stock because they sell out so fast. It takes time to get the handwounds made, and my winder just can't keep pumping them out fast enough. I don't like preselling them either, I sell what I have IN STOCK. Last batch I had in stock sold out in a matter of hours.

Can't go wrong with any of the good handwounds really, the construction is all very similar, and so are the cans.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:15 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Mine are never in stock because they sell out so fast. It takes time to get the handwounds made, and my winder just can't keep pumping them out fast enough. I don't like preselling them either, I sell what I have IN STOCK. Last batch I had in stock sold out in a matter of hours.

Can't go wrong with any of the good handwounds really, the construction is all very similar, and so are the cans.
Guess I'll have to start checking daily then. Good info guys and I appreciate you help. I thought they were probably the same motors generally just not sure if one had an edge over the other. Now just to find one in stock hehehe
Old 02-08-2009, 10:12 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
The only reason the were 2 weeks out is due to the fact of demand. It takes many hours to make these motors. Then when you sell 100 or so in a day. It takes time to produce that. We don't rush itemd to the customer just to make a buck. We do it right the first time... The Warrior Motors have been proven to be the brushed motor of choice.

I would prefer the HH handwound to most any others. John is always a class act. I have seen his motors first hand and they run strong. The issue is he does not have any. And me being a typical " instant gratifiction" kind of guy I will have to order the Bonzai motors because he says he can ship them on Monday.

The Warrior motors sound good, but if you do not have them in stock, then making excuses of why customers will have to wait does me no good. And slamming another brand moves you down the list even more.

Only time will tell if my patience has done me wrong.
tedmales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:36 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Well, I definitely not "new" to crawling and graduated from Integy motors about a year ago. I've been really lucky in getting a hold of two Holmes motors, a 35t and a 30t, and love them both. But when I needed 45t motors for my berg, I went with Banzai because they were available and Carver recommended them. I can honestly say they are on par with the Holmes motors.
killjoyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:10 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I don't see where Jarrod slammed another companies product in any way. He simply stated his doesn't rush his products to market to make a quick buck, thats why there is a wait. He never claimed or implied that any other company did, just simply stated why his take the time they do.

Doing big batches of motors that take weeks to sell is BAD BAD news.....and I am not saying any certain company does this. Comms are made of extremly soft metal called copper. Look up how soft it is. You can scratch it with a hard plastic its that soft. If you have ever raced and cut a bunch of comms you know how fast comms wear because of the brushes. One thing, I learned from racing for 20 years and 25 national titles to my companies credit is that the LONGER a brush sits against a comm with the force of a spring, it will begin to put pressure on the comm and start to press in and disort it. When the comm becomes distorted, you get brush bounce...brush bounce means less power, more arching, and accelarted comm wear, along with the fact in crawling you guys rely on the comm and brushes as a break to hold the truck in place. BAD news.

So, I can say, Holmes Hobbies and JPcustomrcs have got it right with what they are doing, they order what they can sell out fast. Get the motors to the customers shortly after they are built to minimize this.

In the end, you can't go wrong with a quality handwound motor. Pick a good company and have fun, just do yourself a favor and stay away the integy stuff....

And for the record, all the teardowns being built by me (brood), banazi, trinity, fantom, Holmes, or JP all use the same TDK FB9 magnet......no difference. Some of the integy teardowns do, but most use FB6 or FB3 or even a generic ferrite worse than old stock motors used to.

I am going to being doing a full thread with pics on how a motor is made from start to finish, so you guys can see why it takes as long as it does sometimes.

And yes, I am saying the integy stuff sucks.....loud and clear. When you have a case of 100 stock motors have 74 failures, you get that opinion.

Later EddieO
Old 02-08-2009, 11:28 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the great info Eddie. Thats a very professional responce. I too know Jp was not slamming anybody products, just selling what he knows works. He's been around a long time and has a very good reputation. Thats why I was inclined to purchase from him. I aslo considered the banzaii because I have used many of their 27t motors and really liked them alot. I still have 2 new ones sitting here in fact. (without springs on, I have heard that before!) Holmes I know is top quality, I just thought he didn't have them anymore. That was my fault. Now I know that no matter what I can get a great motor from any of the 3 listed. I will choose what motor will be powering my rig accordingly.

Thanks again for the GREAT knowledge and info!
Old 02-08-2009, 11:35 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

It can be a tough market around here.......Banazi will feel it a few days, just like HH or JP does. Looks like they did up a big batch of motors, which is the most efficient way to make em. With HH and JP being basically out of stock.....they will probably sell out and sell out fast. Then they will be out of stock......and we will get the same angry customers who want it NOW, not tomorrow.

People need to understand, we make these things as FAST as we can, but in the most efficient way possible to make them in quanity.

I have over 50 motors on my bench to complete to ship by tomorrow.....and I got 3 of my kids with a birthday party today (feb 9th, 10th, and 15th.......I need to stop humping in may!).....I will probably be up till the wee hours getting them done.

Later EddieO
Old 02-08-2009, 02:25 PM   #19
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

It boils down to the fact that only a handfull of people in the country can do a good job on a handwound motor. More people want them than can be produced easily. I thought about getting a heinz and equipment to build them myself, but then considered that I wouldn't have enough time for the rest of my biz if I was constantly winding motors. On top of that it would take years to get fast and consistent at it, with every wind and arm blank needing different wire and such.

Big hats off to you professional winders out there.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:04 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Big hats off to you professional winders out there.
X2