Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Modding a PC Power Supply into a 12 Volt Supply for your DC charger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2014, 11:36 PM   #161
I wanna be Dave

Default Modding a PC Power Supply into a 12 Volt Supply for your DC charger

You should be good to go as long as your charger will accept the 6A as being enough to charge your batteries!

Open the PSU up and look at the wire colors, then you can determine which instructions to use.
REMEMBER that you need to discharge the capacitors before use. The left over current in the caps can KILL you!

Last edited by Gula; 08-24-2014 at 11:40 PM.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2014, 04:45 AM   #162

Default Re: Modding a PC Power Supply into a 12 Volt Supply for your DC charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
You should be good to go as long as your charger will accept the 6A as being enough to charge your batteries!

Open the PSU up and look at the wire colors, then you can determine which instructions to use.
REMEMBER that you need to discharge the capacitors before use. The left over current in the caps can KILL you!

Thanks for the info! I got it converted and wasn't to bad a task. A little time consuming but not to bad. I think with it being a bit small in output I'll just go with a charger that has it's own internal power supply. I don't want to run the risk of overworking the charger and killing the charger itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
8thNotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:30 AM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ_Driver View Post
Thought I'd share what I did with two Artesyn 7000830-Y000 (IBM 39Y7343) PSUs which came out of an IBM server. These guys can output 56A at 12V

56A is way more than typically needed, so for the first PSU I installed four sets of banana jacks, with a 15A fuse on each positive jack. I put in a 'power' switch (the fans keep running even when 'off') and extra green LED on the top.

For the second PSU I installed one set of 4mm female bullet connectors for full draw capability. I ran two 12AWG wires, one to each tab, to each bullet.

+12V comes out of the two large tabs on the left, and negative or ground is on the two large tabs on the right.
To turn it on you have to toggle a switch from off to on between ground and the second pin from the top right as seen here with the green shrink wrap.

The other two wires go to the green LED on the top cover with a 1kohm resistor.
Hello friend, how do I connect the source I am from Brazil and I have one of these but I do not know how to call to give the 12v

Enviado de meu SM-G570M usando o Tapatalk
kaina.msn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:41 PM   #164
I wanna be Dave

Reviving this guy...

The AC side of my charger is starting to flake out, luckily it has DC input as well, the manual recommend 20A. I have a 700w ATX power supply, it has three rails of +12VDC rated at 18A each. I am trying to see if there is a problem will paralleling them up for a combined 54A of current, basically, just gain all of the yellow wires together.

Or, I might go a safer route and just buy a 30A power supply off of Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/BMOUO-Univers...a+power+supply

Thoughts?
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:44 PM   #165
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Reviving this guy...

The AC side of my charger is starting to flake out, luckily it has DC input as well, the manual recommend 20A. I have a 700w ATX power supply, it has three rails of +12VDC rated at 18A each. I am trying to see if there is a problem will paralleling them up for a combined 54A of current, basically, just gain all of the yellow wires together.

Or, I might go a safer route and just buy a 30A power supply off of Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/BMOUO-Univers...a+power+supply

Thoughts?
Why are you paying money to keep a dying charger going that's probably turning into a fire hazard since its a/c is shorting out?

18 amps is enough as long as your not trying to charge 4 batteries at 5A at once.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 01:10 PM   #166
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
Why are you paying money to keep a dying charger going that's probably turning into a fire hazard since its a/c is shorting out?

18 amps is enough as long as your not trying to charge 4 batteries at 5A at once.
I will be getting a new one, but just want to keep this one limping along until my RC funds are not tied up with other things. No, the AC is not shorting out, that would have been readily apparent in my troubleshooting. It looks like a transistor is failing, it powers up, but not consistently. If I do use a DC PS, I will cut the leads in the charger going from the rectifier board to the charging board, and just not plug the AC cord in, that will completely isolate the AC side of the charger.

I treat batteries like the ocean, I rarely turn my back on them when they are charging. Plus, I have welder's gloves and a chemical extinguisher at the ready if anything decides to get unhappy.

This PC PS is out of my poor old Alienware that developed motherboard issues. After 10 years of use I had gotten my money out of the machine, and happy I can re-purpose some of it. But, the PS is not a cheapy, as a result not built like a cheap PS, so to get at the main power distribution rails. It does have a very nice connector that plugs the whole mess into the PS, so I am just going to ohm out the individual 12v leads to figure out which go together. I'll likely wire everything into a project box with output terminals, I have a 10A PS, it will be nice to have a beefier PS on the bench.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:28 PM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ_Driver View Post
Thought I'd share what I did with two Artesyn 7000830-Y000 (IBM 39Y7343) PSUs which came out of an IBM server. These guys can output 56A at 12V

56A is way more than typically needed, so for the first PSU I installed four sets of banana jacks, with a 15A fuse on each positive jack. I put in a 'power' switch (the fans keep running even when 'off') and extra green LED on the top.

For the second PSU I installed one set of 4mm female bullet connectors for full draw capability. I ran two 12AWG wires, one to each tab, to each bullet.

+12V comes out of the two large tabs on the left, and negative or ground is on the two large tabs on the right.
To turn it on you have to toggle a switch from off to on between ground and the second pin from the top right as seen here with the green shrink wrap.

The other two wires go to the green LED on the top cover with a 1kohm resistor.

Hi, my friend, I have the same power supply as this one.
I want to increase the voltage of it to 13.8v you have the scheme of how to do that.
Thank you very much in advance
wbritho is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/163458-modding-pc-power-supply-into-12-volt-supply-your-dc-charger.html
Posted By For Type Date
Using a Computer Power Supply To Run a Charger - R/C Tech Forums This thread Refback 10-05-2011 05:49 PM