Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: my pro4hd is down on power, looking for an alternative

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2019, 04:10 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default my pro4hd is down on power, looking for an alternative

Some time ago my Tekin Pro4HD seized up. It turned out that one of the magnates on the rotor came loose so I ordered a new rotor and installed it.
Ever since then the motor seems to be down on the power that I remember.

According to the downloaded telemetry via the Castel link it is spinning up to full speed but the 'punch' off the line and even the top speed seem to be lacking.

Truth be told I just can't afford a new Pro4HD $$$$$ and I really don't need a new one but at the same time I am missing the freakish torque of the Pro4.

Are there any new motors on the market that would compare? (I have been out of touch with the market for a few years and am just getting back into the Yeti)
8000ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2019, 01:03 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: my pro4hd is down on power, looking for an alternative

If you can git it to fit https://holmeshobbies.com/motors/bru...ess-motor.html will probably kick its teeth in. Dont know how well it will fit in a Yetti, as its larger in diameter and the motors can get close the the housing in that tranny depending on pinion.

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 05-21-2019 at 01:05 AM.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:49 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

A number of people have the Castle 1512 2650kv motor in the Yeti. I think it is the longest motor you can fit. I think you might have to slightly trim the battery tray, but you don't lose any battery space. It would need to be run on 4s to match the RPM of the motor you have now, but should have more torque and could probably be geared up to get close on 3s' topspeed. Costs about the same as the pro4hd(~$150). So that doesn't really help you out, but you can at least look at the dimensions of the motor and compare it's size to less expensive motors.
robert@castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:55 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

So here's a little update if you're interested.

I gave Tekin a call this morning and he suggested that since my rotor had gone bad that I may have some little pieces of magnet stuck inside the stator. He advised that I pulled the motor apart and do a thorough cleaning on the inside and then put it back together and see if it improves it at all.

So I did just that, also checked all of my solder joints to make sure that I didn't have any cold solders, also checked the settings on my ESC and radio trim, and tightened my slipper clutch up all the way just to be sure.

And I'll after doing all this the results are still the same,motor is still pretty damn week.

According to Tekin I can send it back to them and it's going to cost me somewhere between $20 for just a basic look over with minor problems fixed, up to a maximum of $93 for a brand new motor in box.

Well with all of this to be considered I've decided to go ahead and pull the motor and send it back into Tekin and have them take a look at it. Even if I get a brand new motor in the box it's still going to be less than a hundred bucks shipped.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2019, 04:03 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Update on an update:
I got one of my new batteries back from my son and plugged it into the Yeti,
pulled the trigger and damn near pooped my pants!!!
Flipped it right on it's lid, all the power is back , soooooo
a combo of cleaning and finding out that one of my batts has a weak cell has restored my limping truck to it's former fierce glory.

my pro4hd is down on power, looking for an alternative - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alternative to roc412/ pro4HD dpcardoza Electronics 9 10-03-2016 04:02 PM
Pro4HD mounting ? chipgibbs Axial Wraith 2 03-12-2016 05:42 PM
bad pro4hd? Alexander_0_1 Electronics 1 04-28-2015 11:13 AM