Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: futaba question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 11:19 PM   #1
TSK
Shelf queen

Default futaba question

Being that they seem to be evenly priced with the dx3r, and people seem to be really supportive of the futaba 3pk. I've been looking online and have seen about 4 different versions of it. I need to know what's the difference between the 3pk and 3pks? Would it be better to get the 27mHz or 75mHz version? What's the 2.4gHz FASST rx? Does this convert either one to 2.4cHz?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just looking to upgrade from mt modded tq3 and servo stretcher. Thanks
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2009, 04:37 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I have been doing a little research and just ordered a 3pk 2.4 fasst with free second receiver. I don't know much but I think 27mhz is am and 75mhz is fm. They are one channel which can be changed electronically on the transmitter. The 2.4 fasst is futaba's channel switching system that gets rid of channel interference issues. I think the 2.4 modal can be put in any of the 3pks but the reciever must be changed too. There some deals out there and I got a hunch the 3pk has a replacement comming soon. No reason not to get one, I think futaba makes great radios and has forever.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:20 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

3PK is an amazing radio.
27mhz and 75mhz are both FM. FASST is their 2.4Ghz.

It appears that only the 3PKS is still for sale, I don't think there are any major differences.

If you are thinking that you might get into supers, you may want to get the 4PK ($100 more for 4th channel)

The nice thing about the 3PK is you can get a spektrum module if you already have a bunch of spektrum Rx's.
there are modules for just about every frequency. i just upgraded from 27FM to FASST and I can switch back to use any of my old cheap rx's in a matter of seconds.
engineerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

The difference between the 3PK and 3PKS is that the 3PKS is synthesized. It has a module that allows you to change the channel with a simple dial. That way you just adjust the knob instead of changing the channel crystals. The regular 3PK does not have this feature.

In this day and age, I wouldn't even be looking at the FM frequencies anymore. Spread specktrum is where it's at. Your best bet would be to look up the Futaba 3PK transmitter package deal that comes with the 2.4 FASST conversion module and receiver. Tower has them. Or, if money is not concern, go right for the 4PK, which is spread spectrum right out of the factory. The 3PK was born before spread spectrum technology came along.

You really can't wrong with either the 3PK or the 4PK. Excellent, top notch radios.
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote