Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: dx5 or dx6?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2009, 11:46 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default dx5 or dx6?

I've done some searching on rcc and can't find a clear answer and the local hobby shop guys seem to all have different answers. I'm gonna need a new radio for my losi 2.2 when it gets here and i'm torn between the dx5 and dx6. I want extra channels for future add on's. I know the 6 is fully programmable and th 5 is not, but is it really worth the extra cost or will the 5 suffice? What do some of you guys run and are you happy with them or would you have rather gotten one over the other? Thanks.
dirtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2009, 11:51 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I see alot of guys using the DX6. I was looking at that one myself but I just settled to stick with my DX3R. I think that with the programming and the extra channels the DX6 will do what you are looking for.
CRAZYACE63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:08 AM   #3
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

To straight up answer the question; The DX6 is much better than the DX5. More channels, better programming (mixing), more model memory, etc.

I started with the DX6 and moved up to the DX7. The DX7 is wonderful. Great radio if you like stick controllers. The DX7 is much easier to program and a far superior radio IMO. You can find some good used radios cheap because many crawler guys just cannot get use to the stick controls so they pop up for sale every so often in the classifieds.

If you buy one new, have it sent back to Spektrum so they can install the rocker and spring to center the left stick. I have made rockers for both the DX6 and DX7. It's not hard to do but some people are not comfortable opening up the radio to work on it.

I bought a 3S lipo for my transmitter from Max Amps and that made a huge difference. I can go about two weeks between charges on the radio and that is with me crawling every other day or so. It is also very lite to carry with the lipo. I have four crawlers programmed to the DX7. The extra channels are great for scalers, winch, dig, light switch, etc.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:53 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I'll read into the dx7 a little more and consider it as well. thanks
Old 03-08-2009, 05:58 PM   #5
Just jump it!

Dx5 does not have end point adjustments!!! The dx6i does, that alone is why i run the dx6i. I can run a 3 position dig, lights , my airplane, my heli and almost all my rigs off it. Great radio compared to the dx 5.
rottenbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 06:48 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

"End point adjustments"? Not sure about all of the stick terminology, a little green on a lot of this stuff and have found this place the best place to learn.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:56 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

i use a dx6 and love it.
smm_cbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:04 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I love my DX6 also. Still learning to use the sticks, but the 6 channels are worth it.
AeroSynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:27 AM   #9
Official Cook of the ECC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtman View Post
"End point adjustments"? Not sure about all of the stick terminology, a little green on a lot of this stuff and have found this place the best place to learn.

EPA's are not "stick" terminology.

EPA's mean you can adjust how much travel the servo has on each side of neutral.

EPAs are pretty much mandatory so stay away from the DX5.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:58 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Hey thanks, I'm still a bit of a green horn but learn a little more everyday.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:40 AM   #11

DX6i, its a great remote. I guess some of them have a recall on them, so i already talked to their service rep and he said no problem when you send it in the be fixed (totally at heir cost..shipping and such) they with mod my left stick to auto center, like the right stick!! stoked. but they were amazingly awesome to deal with and i stoked to keep running my DX6i. The adjustability is wicked and its perfect for me...i recomend it!
Allan42 is offline   Reply With Quote