Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Lipo recommendation?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Lipo recommendation?

Hey guys,

Just picked up a new Hustler in a trade. Truck has a Mamba Max running two 60 turn lathe motors w/ 8 tooth front and 6 tooth rear pinions. Also has CC bec and Futaba 4EX running two high torque servos. I have zero experience with LiPos but figure I need to take the plunge. Please recommend me a battery and charger that will work well with this set-up and best place to purchase them. Like I said up until now I have had no interest in the possible fires or other dangers associated with LiPo batteries so please go easy on me.

Thanks!
Z-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I would go with an Elite2200 35C and either an Elite charger or Hyperion eos 0606i. We carry them on our website. The 2200 35C is what I run and they'r ehands down the best lipo of that size and the cheapest for the quality.
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Well the biggest issue you have is mounting space. Where do you plan on putting the pack and how much room do you have to work with? I would go 3S for wheel speed and power. As for a charger look at the Hyperion EOS 6006i AC/DC balance charger. : http://www.maxamps.com/EOS0606i-AC-DC.htm
Once you have the space you have figured out then you can pick a capacity that will best fit your needs. Also don't worry about fire hazards, Li-Po's are just as safe as any other batteries out if cared for correctly. I would suggest you take a read here: http://www.maxamps.com/lipo-care.php that page will explain some very simple things that you will need to know and understand. If you need to you can also contact me by e-mail at jason@maxamps.com.

-J

Last edited by JAM MaxAmps.com; 04-05-2009 at 06:55 AM.
JAM MaxAmps.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:11 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Check out Hobby City's Zippy Lipo packs. Very good quality, multiple sizes and C ratings available to match your needs and MUCH less expensive than some others.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:18 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Hmmm.......... I don't see anyone from Hobby City here at RCC offering help like Chris and I do. I would think it makes more sense to support companies that actually take the time to support this hobby. But hey if you want cells that other companies reject because of poor quality and if you don't mind not having support when an issue arises then have it.

Best regards,

Jason
Old 04-05-2009, 10:33 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM MaxAmps.com View Post
Hmmm.......... I don't see anyone from Hobby City here at RCC offering help like Chris and I do. I would think it makes more sense to support companies that actually take the time to support this hobby. But hey if you want cells that other companies reject because of poor quality and if you don't mind not having support when an issue arises then have it.

Best regards,

Jason
x2!
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:39 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Best regards,

Jason
Hey, if you don't mind over paying for cells that one one knows were they come from and don't hold up to the performance that my "reject" cells put out, go right ahead and pay more for them. I guess all those really cool ads you see all over the place get expensive and need to be paid for some how.

I'm sure your service is great for some. IMO, the "service" you provide isn't worth the HUGH price difference. The performance difference is non existent and if I have an issue, I can afford to replace the pack and still spend less.

For MY money, the ZIPPY packs are the best value for the money.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:08 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
How does MaxAmps test a battery pack’s “surge watts”?
Using a data logger and an actual RC motor and speed control, we test the “surge watts” by applying a load to the pack(not an individual cell) and confirming that it will maintain well over 3.2V per cell during this load. By using this method, we are confident that your MaxAmps pack will deliver the rated “surge watt” load without hitting the low voltage cutoff or damaging your pack.
How long do you apply the load to determine the surge watts? I have seen anywhere between 5-30 seconds used.

As for supporting the hobby my wife won this pack yesterday at the East Coast Championship.http://www.maxamps.com/proddetail.ph...1-Pack&cat=205

Thank you MaxAmps
TLTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:17 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Hey, if you don't mind over paying for cells that one one knows were they come from and don't hold up to the performance that my "reject" cells put out, go right ahead and pay more for them. I guess all those really cool ads you see all over the place get expensive and need to be paid for some how.

I'm sure your service is great for some. IMO, the "service" you provide isn't worth the HUGH price difference. The performance difference is non existent and if I have an issue, I can afford to replace the pack and still spend less.

For MY money, the ZIPPY packs are the best value for the money.

Funny how you seem to be very able to voice your opinion and to direct it to me any chance you get when your behind a computer. Why is it you couldn't come to me and do this face to face in Omaha at the 2.2 Midwest. I was there all weekend and very available for questions and comments. Heck I would have given you my laptop to hide behind if that would have made you feel more comfortable.

Take care and have a great week,

Jason
Old 04-05-2009, 11:23 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTRyan View Post
How long do you apply the load to determine the surge watts? I have seen anywhere between 5-30 seconds used.

As for supporting the hobby my wife won this pack yesterday at the East Coast Championship.http://www.maxamps.com/proddetail.ph...1-Pack&cat=205

Thank you MaxAmps

For the Surge testing we do it in 1 second pulses as this is generally the closest thing to real life. Those one second surges simulate hard breaking, hard throttle pulls on high traction surfaces and say a quick bind with a crawler tire locked into a rock.

Enjoy the pack, and it looks like you guys had a blast down there from the pictures I have seen. I wish I could have been there but I had plans already this week to baby sit a Black lab pup for a friend of mine so I was unable to get down there.

Best regards,

Jason
Old 04-05-2009, 11:32 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Funny how you seem to be very able to voice your opinion and to direct it to me any chance you get when your behind a computer. Why is it you couldn't come to me and do this face to face in Omaha at the 2.2 Midwest. I was there all weekend and very available for questions and comments. Heck I would have given you my laptop to hide behind if that would have made you feel more comfortable.

Take care and have a great week,

Jason

Funny I was in Omaha as well, and you never introduced yourself? You can make all the snide comments you wish. I have an opinion, you don't like it and seem to take it as a personal attack. If people choose to purchase your product, that's fine. Like I stated, for MY money, I will continue to purchase Zippy packs and let others know about them. They are great packs.

Take care and have a great week.

Dez
Old 04-05-2009, 11:44 AM   #12
RCC Addict

I would have introduced myself if I would have know who you were I'm always willing to listen to people. It was pretty easy to see who I was, after all I was working our booth area and wearing a black maxamps.com shirt and MaxAmps.com/TCS hat. And your the one the seems to keep going out of his way to post comments in threads that I post in. You do it here and other sites. Snide remarks seems to be your forte'. You don't see me chasing you around the forums trying to stir up crap every time you post do you? Didn't think so. To show I'm a nice guy I'll let you get in the last word so you can feel like you got somewhere today.

enjoy!!

Jason

Last edited by JAM MaxAmps.com; 04-05-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:00 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I would have introduced myself if I would have know who you were I'm always willing to listen to people. It was pretty easy to see who I was, after all I was working our booth area and wearing a black maxamps.com shirt and MaxAmps.com/TCS hat. And your the one the seems to keep going out of his way to post comments in threads that I post in. You do it here and other sites. Snide remarks seems to be your forte'. You don't see me chasing you around the forums trying to stir up crap every time you post do you? Didn't think so.

enjoy!!

Jason
Jason, I really don't have an issue w/ you. There were lot's of people wearing Max Amps shirts in Omaha, I saw dozens of them given away at the event. I was wearing a black Panther shirt and hat (I'm pretty easy to pick out of a crowd.) and spent a a lot of time talking to people at the event. It's to bad that we didn't bump into each other.

Like I stated, I have a different opinion than you. I posted a link to the Zippy lipos and never mentioned you or MA. I see it as offering more options for those looking to equip their rigs w/ lipos.

Take it easy.

Dez

PS, nice edit.

Last edited by dezfan; 04-05-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:00 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Come on guys - enough! This is why nobody ever wants to ask a simple question on forums these days. I simply asked for opinions on a LiPo pack and it turns into a B***H session. I thank those who replied with an answer to MY question.

Thanks!
Z-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote