Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Castle BEC and SR3100 Receiver Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2009, 10:14 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Castle BEC and SR3100 Receiver Question

Same question different day.

I have been searching and have not been able to draw a clear conclusion about the best way to install a CCBEC with a Spectrum DS3100 receiver.

Up until now I have run my 6v Castle BEC only on my steering servo and the dig servo threw the ESC like this but with my dig servo threw the ESC.

But with high amp draw I get a nasty lock up.

Option #1 is running both servos on the CCBEC?

Option #3 Cleaner yet can you run both steering and dig servos by installing the 6v CCBEC directly into the Bat/Bind plug in the Spectrum SR3100 receiver and removing the power wire from the ESC?

Is there any special instructions for setting this up for example how do you preform a bind with no power connection or do you have to bind prior to removing the ESC power wire?

My Specs
NIB CCBEC
JR DS8711 for steering a Hitec 225mg for dig.
Tekin FXR ESC
DX3R radio and SR3100 receiver.
11.1 3s battery.

Last edited by Stormin2u; 08-11-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Option #3 Cleaner yet can you run both steering and dig servos by installing the 6v CCBEC directly into the Bat/Bind plug in the Spectrum SR3100 receiver and removing the power wire from the ESC?

Is there any special instructions for setting this up for example how do you preform a bind with no power connection or do you have to bind prior to removing the ESC power wire?

My Specs
NIB CCBEC
JR DS8711 for steering a Hitec 225mg for dig.
DX3R radio and SR3100 receiver.
11.1 3s battery.
This is what I did on mine, just the like diagram that came with the BEC shows. I run basically the same setup, DX3R, SR3100, CC BEC at 6v, etc.

You can plug the BEC into any slot on the RX, so I think what I did when I bound the TX/RX was just unplug the dig servo and plug the BEC into the AUX plug, then after binding I moved the BEC to the Batt/Bind plug and plugged the dig servo back in.

You could also probably bind it before removing the red wire from the ESC, but don't plug in the BEC with the ESC's red wire still connected. I'm told that's not good for the RX.
BigB_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:26 AM   #3
On the lookout for Rocks

Option #3 is how most are ran. You will have to bind before you remove the power wire from the ESC...or have a receiver battery to plug into receiver (of course before the BEC is plugged in)
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:16 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I personally like the idea of the CCBEC directly into the RX it's so clean and easy for many reasons.

I did how ever notice a number of posts in other BEC threads that some strongly recommended Option #2 but never really said why.

The lock up problem seems to have gotten worse over time and at our last comp it just eliminated any chance at a good result so I have to get a new set up going.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:32 AM   #5
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

You could do it either way. For simplicity I will run the BEC to the steering servo, and let the ESCs internal BEC take care of the RX and the dig servo. Not much amp draw there if you have a spring on your dig servo horn for the re-engaging travel.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Norman, I run mine through the Batt/Bind port. If you do this make sure that you remove the signal wire from the BEC. If you don't the receiver will go into bind mode everytime you plug in a battery.
jcnalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I have found option 2 to be the best way so far.
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:46 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I've been running my Hitec 225MG dig servo threw my ESC and wired the steering servo direct to the CCBEC and in extreme dig situations I get a temporary total shut down.

crabfish is their a story behind your preference for option #2 ? I don't mind the work I enjoy sodering and wiring if it means a more reliable rig.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:49 PM   #9

Ah, so it is the ESCs internal BEC that is crapping out. I read the first part wrong. Wire both servos up to the BEC then, you can probably get away with just plugging the BEC into a free slot and removing the red wire from ESC's rx lead.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I've been running my Hitec 225MG dig servo threw my ESC and wired the steering servo direct to the CCBEC and in extreme dig situations I get a temporary total shut down.

crabfish is their a story behind your preference for option #2 ? I don't mind the work I enjoy sodering and wiring if it means a more reliable rig.
Yes. I have my BEC at 7.4 volts and origionally ran it thru my TX. Well I found where I swept the steering back/forth (like when scooting the rig over) the rig would glitch. Now granted mine is a bully with a punk dig switch--but my sons TLT comp rig is also the same way and with his TQ3 it seemed alot less glitchy...
Old 08-11-2009, 02:31 PM   #11
Keep it real

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcnalley View Post
If you don't the receiver will go into bind mode everytime you plug in a battery.
Interesting:?, I've been running my BEC plugged into the bind port and not pulling the red wire on my Tekin RS since february, with no issues at all.

Norm, I used to solder my BEC directly to my servo like you do and run the dig off the internal BEC a couple years ago, but I got tired of having to mess with the soldering if a servo went bad or changed rigs...etc. I have been running all my rigs since then like I mentioned first above, except I pulled the red wire when I ran Castle ESC's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashfab View Post
Yes. I have my BEC at 7.4 volts and origionally ran it thru my TX. Well I found where I swept the steering back/forth (like when scooting the rig over) the rig would glitch. Now granted mine is a bully with a punk dig switch--but my sons TLT comp rig is also the same way and with his TQ3 it seemed alot less glitchy...
Mike, I've also found spectrum rx's don't like more than about 6volts usually.

Last edited by Tanis; 08-11-2009 at 02:31 PM. Reason: merged
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:40 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I have been running mine like the 2nd one (straight to the servo). When I had 2 servos, I would just let the ESC run the dig servo.

The reason most people do it like that is because some receivers just dont like the voltage......even 6v. I have wired a few up different ways and some will go crazy, some will make the servo jump a little and some will be fine. I remember Gatekeepers use to keep losing bind when he tried it for some reason. I will do something in photoshop or paint to show you how mine is done when I get a minute.......no extra soldering, even if you have to change the steering servo.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:20 PM   #13

The origional CCBECs would throw specktrum stuff into bind mode, but they fixed it within a month or so. If you have recently bought one and it does so, you have reaaaaly old inventory at your place of purchase.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:37 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcrawler View Post
no extra soldering, even if you have to change the steering servo.
Ok, not going to have time to do a pic but this is what I did. Buy a Y connector. Take the 2 female ends, cut them and splice them together without the signal wire. Then pull the signal wire from the servo. Put the signal wire from the servo into the spare male connector from the y harness. Plug that into the receiver with just the signal wire. Now you should have just the pos and neg wires in the servo connector. Plug it into one side of the y harness that you made. Then plug the BEC into the other side. This way you can swap servos without soldering and you can still program your BEC too.

I hope I explained it right. :-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
The origional CCBECs would throw specktrum stuff into bind mode, but they fixed it within a month or so. If you have recently bought one and it does so, you have reaaaaly old inventory at your place of purchase.

That would explain a lot. I bought like 3 of them at the same time.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:54 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Ah, so it is the ESCs internal BEC that is crapping out. I read the first part wrong. Wire both servos up to the BEC then, you can probably get away with just plugging the BEC into a free slot and removing the red wire from ESC's rx lead.
Yep I'm thinking ESC internal bec lays down and takes a break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
Interesting:?, I've been running my BEC plugged into the bind port and not pulling the red wire on my Tekin RS since february, with no issues at all.

Norm, I used to solder my BEC directly to my servo like you do and run the dig off the internal BEC a couple years ago, but I got tired of having to mess with the soldering if a servo went bad or changed rigs...etc. I have been running all my rigs since then like I mentioned first above, except I pulled the red wire when I ran Castle ESC's.

Mike, I've also found spectrum rx's don't like more than about 6volts usually.
Thats what I'm planning to do Nathan have you ever had to re-bind? In a earlier post by BigB_117 he thought he pulled his third channel and plugged in the CCBEC then bound and thats pretty easy.

Quote:
Ok, not going to have time to do a pic but this is what I did. Buy a Y connector. Take the 2 female ends, cut them and splice them together without the signal wire. Then pull the signal wire from the servo. Put the signal wire from the servo into the spare male connector from the y harness. Plug that into the receiver with just the signal wire. Now you should have just the pos and neg wires in the servo connector. Plug it into one side of the y harness that you made. Then plug the BEC into the other side. This way you can swap servos without soldering and you can still program your BEC too.

That would explain a lot. I bought like 3 of them at the same time.
Your explanation was perfect thank you and if re bonding is cumbersome I will follow your blueprint.

crabfish thanks for explaining your reason for hard wiring that is something I wasn't thinking about.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:30 PM   #16
Keep it real

Quote:
Thats what I'm planning to do Nathan have you ever had to re-bind? In a earlier post by BigB_117 he thought he pulled his third channel and plugged in the CCBEC then bound and thats pretty easy.
I've never had an rx lose a bind Norm. But I have seen it happen to other people, and I think maybe that's why DelMonte carries a bind plug on his radio antenna:-P
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:34 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

option #3
jamesdicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:38 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yep I'm thinking ESC internal bec lays down and takes a break.

Your explanation was perfect thank you and if re bonding is cumbersome I will follow your blueprint.

crabfish thanks for explaining your reason for hard wiring that is something I wasn't thinking about.
"crabfish"

Also--make sure you don't "hardwire" the BEC to the servo--get some servo connectors and make the servo detactable from the BEC in case you want to program it to a different voltage. Plus it will aid in diagnosing any odd problems you might come across. I hardwired my sons and ended up having issues at a comp--made it a pain to figure out and fix...
Old 08-13-2009, 01:20 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:

This is how I have it set up on all of my rigs, and haven't had a problem yet. I did go a step further though and wire the bec power leads to a jumper plugged in inline between the esc and the battery. since I always have multiple rigs with me if a bec ever does go down mid comp it's quick and easy to unplug from one truck and plug back into another
Nate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:48 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashfab View Post
"crabfish"

Also--make sure you don't "hardwire" the BEC to the servo--get some servo connectors and make the servo detectable from the BEC in case you want to program it to a different voltage. Plus it will aid in diagnosing any odd problems you might come across. I hardwired my sons and ended up having issues at a comp--made it a pain to figure out and fix...
Crashfab I have no idea where that came from (dyslexic) I apologize.

I thank you and everyone for taking time to comment.

I wired #3 last night with my new CCBEC and didn't even have to re-bind it this method is just to clean and easy. I tested it a little and the lock up problem seems to be gone.