Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: PunkRC Dig Switch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2009, 03:12 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Mortimer View Post
Sure hope my understanding is correct. Using your "Dig Switch" I do not need the two (2) mechanical switches and the servo.
Correct or not so correct?
Yup, just ebay those!
PunkRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2009, 03:37 PM   #22
RCC Addict

PM sent.
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:38 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Will place my order next week. Cant wait to try these out to see what they can handle.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:03 PM   #24
Pebble Pounder

UPDATE:

I have a local crawler testing one of these units. His opinion, which a couple people have brought up, is that they want the Unit to Short the motor that it has disconnected instead of leaving it open.

The unit may look a little different to accommodate the new wire plugs since it will need to have both motor leads.

Anyone else have any opinion on how they would like it? Any other ideas or feedback?
Old 04-23-2009, 07:13 PM   #25
RCC Addict

Shorting the motor is good. That's what 90% of us are doing now with the switches. Even with mine shorted I can still get the wheels to turn when I crank up the wheel speed.

There was a similar unit that someone posted up in the berg section that could short the motors but it was huge.
BigB_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:51 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkRC View Post
UPDATE:

I have a local crawler testing one of these units. His opinion, which a couple people have brought up, is that they want the Unit to Short the motor that it has disconnected instead of leaving it open.

The unit may look a little different to accommodate the new wire plugs since it will need to have both motor leads.

Anyone else have any opinion on how they would like it? Any other ideas or feedback?
I think shorting the motor will work better for locking the motor up. I just thought that was what this unit did.

Even with the motor shorted it still can freewheel a little when there is a lot of traction on the tires while digging.

Last edited by 51504rock; 04-23-2009 at 07:53 PM.
51504rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:57 PM   #27
no talent hack

instead of shorting it maybe you can get it to put a slight reverse load on the motor. i have been doing that with my 4pk and it has been amazing
Nabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:47 PM   #28
Say hello to my dactylion

Quote:
UPDATE:

I got a chance to take a look at it last night at our UTRCRC comp & it is VERY slick. It works exactly like the 2 switch servo set-up but with NO moving parts to get bumped, jared, loosened or misaligned. With the "shorting" tweak this thing will be spot on.

Great work Robin. I knew you were the guy for the job... I'm excited to get one in my rig.
PinchFlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:58 PM   #29

Default could your computer help me?

I need to control two motors?
I need two ESC?
or can your computer do the trick?
Eduardo
cybersniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:01 AM   #30
Mic
Rock Crawler

Quote:
UPDATE:

I do not care how it is done, but if you could make it so the the DIG motor locks up evermore so than it does with the 3 pole switches that we use now, you would have a huge hit with the MOA crowd. Like I said in my first post you stuff works really well if you find a way to really lockup the motor this would be a home run.
Mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:41 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

I would take 2 if you can get them to short out the motors
Looks like a great idea no more guess work on a dig set up
flip2spin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:02 AM   #32
RCC Addict

I am not trying to be difficult, but how is the $45-$50 unit per axle different/better/improved over the Dimension Engineering Battleswitch (Robot Switch) that a bunch of people are using with success at the $25 per switch price point that shorts the motors in the same fashion as the Rat Shack Dig solution, but has the higher Amp rating?

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/BattleSwitch.htm

I LOVE this idea, but I just want to know what the extra cost may be buying me.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:31 AM   #33
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinchFlat View Post
I got a chance to take a look at it last night at our UTRCRC comp & it is VERY slick. It works exactly like the 2 switch servo set-up but with NO moving parts to get bumped, jared, loosened or misaligned. With the "shorting" tweak this thing will be spot on.
Okay, I just ordered the REVISED PC Boards that do the shorting. They are 1.8" x 1.0" in size because I added another row of motor power connectors. The new design does the shorting. I am pretty excited about that!

BTW, if you don't want the shorting you can simply not connect or remove the second row of connectors. Then you have the 1.5x1.0 board again.

I also added onboard voltage spike protectors to stop most the damage that may be done to the relay contacts.

I will have about 12 of these pre-production units in May 1st. If they work well, we will have the production units going on May 8th.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:37 AM   #34
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtic View Post
I am not trying to be difficult, but how is the $45-$50 unit per axle different/better/improved over the Dimension Engineering Battleswitch (Robot Switch) that a bunch of people are using with success at the $25 per switch price point that shorts the motors in the same fashion as the Rat Shack Dig solution, but has the higher Amp rating? .
Cool, right off the bat here is what I see.

Those are rated at 10A and mine are 12A
Mine have Contact Arc Supressors
Mine are a snap to wire
Mine is more compact
Mine has a RGB indicator

But you have one misconception I just realized!!!!! You only need one of mine, not two. Mine does both motors!

So is 2 for $25 or 1 for $58? I think that is worth the $8, but not the $76!!!
Old 04-24-2009, 07:00 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Will those of us with pre-orders get the new Shorting version or the one shown?

I can't wait. I'm not a fan of the 4 channel idea with 2 ESCs and well tired of complicated mounting of servos and switches!
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:13 AM   #36
Rock Crawler

PRE ORDER PLACED.

Last edited by MDcrawler72; 04-24-2009 at 08:06 AM.
MDcrawler72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:32 AM   #37
'08 2.2 National Champ

I got to see it along with Pinch at the UTRCRC comp and was very impressed. I was a little skeptical without the system shorting the motors but now that it will short the motors I'm sold!

Thanks for making these! My dig-a-ma-jig got bumped around last comp and cost me a gate These should take care of that. Less crazy wiring also which makes for a cleaner rig.
Just Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:34 AM   #38
RCC Addict

Quote:
Cool, right off the bat here is what I see.

Those are rated at 10A and mine are 12A
Mine have Contact Arc Supressors
Mine are a snap to wire
Mine is more compact
Mine has a RGB indicator

But you have one misconception I just realized!!!!! You only need one of mine, not two. Mine does both motors!

So is 2 for $25 or 1 for $58? I think that is worth the $8, but not the $76!!!
Cool...thanks for clarifying it. I just needed to see the comparison. IT is greatly appreciated.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:57 AM   #39
support@rc4wd.com

Its about time

I have been waiting for 2 guys to do this .

Glad to see one of you stepped up to the task.

This will put an end to the soldering nightmares and overloaded switches for sure!

Price is perect as well!
roborg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:05 AM   #40
TN State Champ 11,12,13

Awesome Subscribed and waiting
Pdog7 is offline   Reply With Quote