RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   PunkRC Dig Switch (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/174568-punkrc-dig-switch.html)

PunkRC 04-23-2009 07:25 AM

PunkRC Dig Switch

We now have P. Patent Protection....

I thought I'd tell you all first. Here it is, the PunkRC Dig Switch

1.5" x 1.0" in size (thats small)

Handles over Twice the Power of the "Dig-a-ma-jig" with the radio shack switches. Each Dig Switch Relay Rated at 12A at 35VDC.

Here is a video, more details coming. Watch the WATERPROOF test!

I will be taking pre-orders (20% off) and doing a giveaway. I will update you all.

Watch the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7foeSpDaAA

[EDIT] Production Model
http://www.punkrc.com/files/DigSwitch01.jpg

[EDIT] Prototype
http://www.punkrc.com/files/DigSwitch02.jpg

[EDIT] Wiring Diagram Added
http://www.punkrc.com/files/DigSwitchDiagram.jpg

Commence Drooling......

rockassassin 04-23-2009 08:19 AM

I am getting one.:lol:

Offroader5 04-23-2009 09:38 AM

Sweeeeeet 8) Nice job.

Get 'em done fast....I have two MOA rigs that need these quick.

How long do ya think? I may have to build my "dig-a-ma-jig" till these are ready if it's going to be too long. :lol:

EDIT: Umm...nevermind, just watched the vid and saw the available date of May 15th. :)
Do we really have to wait that long? :-(

PunkRC 04-23-2009 09:52 AM

I will have limited quantities avaliable this weekend. They will be the a proto run of the production setup. The production will have a green circuit board while these will be tan like the one shown. These will be the final check before I place a large order.

If you PM me, we can work something out. I can get you one of those. I will have 4-10 of them.

Also I am always looking for people to make a video or post a review, so those will get also get priority.

EDIT: I will have these things shipping before the 15th, but I just don't want people screaming if the production units are delayed. If I get enough pre-orders, I will have them shipping about May 2nd.

PunkRC 04-23-2009 10:01 AM

Here are some specs I am putting together.

TX Position | LED | Function
Left | Red | Motor #1 Off</STRONG>
Center | Green | Both Motors On</STRONG>
Right | Blue | Motor #2 Off</STRONG>

Technical Specs:
Size: 1.5"W x 1.0"L x ±1.0"H
Power Source: Radio RX
Power Draw: <150mA (similar to standard servo)
RX Voltage: 4.8V - 6.5V Receivers
Motor Capacity: Any
Switch Rating: 12Amps @ 35V (each motor)
Water Resistant Electronics plus Water Proofing Seal

Hookup:
I will have a diagram drawn up soon, but it is REALLY easy.
1 - Plug the Dig Switch Servo Wire into Receiver's Spare Channel (Usually #3)
2 - Wire ESC's Negative Wire to Motors as normal
3 - Solder the Center Dig Switch Contact to the ESC Positive Motor Wire Output
4 - Solder each Outside Contact to the Positive Terminal of each Motor
5 - Trim TX Channel to Center with normal Endpoints

BigB_117 04-23-2009 10:13 AM

So this little sucker will do front and rear dig on a MOA rig? sweet.

I like how small it it.

Any idea's on cost?

PunkRC 04-23-2009 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigB_117 (Post 1755588)
Any idea's on cost?

I have them finally listed on www.punkrc.com

BigB_117 04-23-2009 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PunkRC (Post 1755598)
I have them finally listed on www.punkrc.com

That seems like a good price. "thumbsup"

Can this unit be switched in and out of dig while on the throttle? I know that has caused switch's to burn out for some that are running the switch's and servo setup.

Mic 04-23-2009 10:30 AM

Looks like a good product the only thing that I maybe missing is that it does not short the motor when the DIG is operated (that causes the breaking effect to lock the motor) I really like your dual steer computer that I have been using for about a year so I wouls like to try th DIG switch out.

binaryterror 04-23-2009 10:38 AM

Does this short the motor to causing it to lock stronger, or just turn it off?

Either way...pre-order done through the site!

PunkRC 04-23-2009 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by binaryterror (Post 1755637)
Does this short the motor to causing it to lock stronger, or just turn it off?

It turns it off without shorting. Seems to work nearly as well and doing locking would add too much to price, size. (EDIT: Read Below, the shorting has been added without increasing price, but it is 0.3" longer)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigB_117 (Post 1755613)
Can this unit be switched in and out of dig while on the throttle? I know that has caused switch's to burn out for some that are running the switch's and servo setup.

Well those switches were rated at 3A or 5A, this is 12A. Also I am experimenting with adding capacitors (or other) across terminals to help stop the voltage peak. The arcing happens when disconecting a inductive load.

51504rock 04-23-2009 11:28 AM

Just ordered up one of these sweet little dig switches. I will be doing a review with some videos as soon as it receive it "thumbsup"

Szczerba 04-23-2009 11:53 AM

Pretty good little setup. Size is good as well. I like the innovation. It will help more folks have MOA dig that couldn't before.

On the other hand that price is killing me. I can make an electric MOA dig with two manly dig switches (Rated 15 amps @ 250v each) and HS-55 servo for $17 total (plus shipping) and some soldering and glue.

Just my .02

Arct1k 04-23-2009 12:24 PM

Nice innovation... where was it a week ago when i made my switches!

PunkRC 04-23-2009 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane_744 (Post 1755866)
Pretty good little setup. Size is good as well. I like the innovation. It will help more folks have MOA dig that couldn't before.

On the other hand that price is killing me. I can make an electric MOA dig with two manly dig switches (Rated 15 amps @ 250v each) and HS-55 servo for $17 total (plus shipping) and some soldering and glue.

Agreed, I don't think that this will KILL those dig switches. Cost is a issue.

The advantages are no moving parts, water resistant, simple to wire, compact, no endpoints to adjust. These relay are each rates at 12A @ 36VDC or 250VAC, so the switches are close. Normal draw does not take much, just guys burn them when disconnecting a powered motor.

About the "burning" the switches. It this will come with some capacitor like components that will absorb the voltage spikes that make the arcing. THey are however, not caps (those can actually add to the problem) They will be included with the item.

JohnRobHolmes 04-23-2009 12:33 PM

have you done any testing on positive side arcing vs negative side arcing in relation to the motor? Very cool product!

PunkRC 04-23-2009 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes (Post 1755959)
have you done any testing on positive side arcing vs negative side arcing in relation to the motor? Very cool product!

I have not. But I am adding some Cap-Like parts that absorb the spark. If you are not a nerd, skip this: It is essentially like two zener diodes back to back, then when the voltage goes past the reverse breakdown voltage (mine are rated about 30V) it will short it out instead of going across the contacts.

Make sence?

Rocksolo 04-23-2009 02:02 PM

holy sheite!

I wish that available 1 month ago.

Thats is definately on the wish....... I have 2 spare 25amp switches so it may be a while, or not.

I am tuned in to see how that thing actually works in the long run.

nice product"thumbsup"

Szczerba 04-23-2009 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PunkRC (Post 1755953)
Agreed, I don't think that this will KILL those dig switches. Cost is a issue.

The advantages are no moving parts, water resistant, simple to wire, compact, no endpoints to adjust.

Great points.

Hawk Mortimer 04-23-2009 03:04 PM

Dig witch

PunkRc,

Pre-order placed.

Sure hope my understanding is correct. Using your "Dig Switch" I do not need the two (2) mechanical switches and the servo.
Correct or not so correct?

Thanks,
Hawk