Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Futaba 9CHP setup for dual steering, dual esc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2009, 08:37 AM   #1

Default Futaba 9CHP setup for dual steering, dual esc

Hi, is there anyone that have a setup for a Futaba 9CHP 9channel radio setup for 2 esc and 2 steering servos? Any ideas? Is better to buy a Punk Rock Crawling Dual Steering Computer and a Dig Switch, for that I will have to have a 4channel radio.

thanks for any help

---
Integy SSPro
2 Integy 55T
2 Rooster Crawler Edition
2 Hitec HS7955TG
duartev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

I would not waste the money on the Punk RC computer, if you already have the 9 channel radio. You can easily use a 9 channel radio to control a dual ESC, 4WS crawler. What you'll want to do is assign a channel for front steering, one for rear steering, one for the front ESC, and finally one for the rear ESC.

You can then set up a channel mix to combine the steering channels and have them run off one stick, or turn the mix off and each steering servo can be independantly controlled as well. Set the mix on a toggle switch, so you can turn the mix off and on whenever you want.

For the speed controllers, you could mix them as well, just like the steering (on/off mix), or since this is a 9CHP, which is a heli radio, you can use the built in channel mixing under the heli program. I use a Futaba 12FGH heli radio for my crawlers. I run the two speed controllers with the heli programming.

Last edited by Espeefan; 05-12-2009 at 10:19 AM.
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:16 PM   #3

Thanks, I will try to do that. when ready I will post the setup
Old 05-13-2009, 05:04 AM   #4

I am having some trouble to find the mixing in 9CHP, I want to use a 3 position switch to change the throttle for 2 esc/front esc/rear esc; and another 3 position switch for steering front/steering rear/front steering one way - steering rear oposite way. Any ideas? Whitch mixing to use?
Thanks
Old 05-13-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

You might have better luck switching the radio from helicopter mode to airplane mode. There should be a menu for selecting either. It's a little easier to mix channels in the aircraft mode, as the helicopter mode has 4 channels mixed right from the start. Throttle/ailerion/elevator/pitch. With the helicopter radio, you really can't turn off the mixing of those channels. They can only be adjusted. On an aircraft program, anything can be mixed so it's easy to make your own mixes and assign them to a toggle switch for the on/off function.

I run my crawlers on the helicopter program. I mix my ESCs using the pitch or aileron and elevator channels, which is automatically mixed due to the radio's programming. I re-assign those channels to the sticks so that right stick becomes the throttle/pitch function on the radio, and my right stick is the elevator. By pushing or pulling on the right stick, it runs both ESCs together, and in the same direction, because if this was a helicopter model, the pitch and elevator servos would travel equal amounts in the same direction also. By moving the left stick, the elevator and pitch/aileron servos go opposite ways because that is what a helicopter needs to nose up or down. But the cool part is the amount of collective pitch you feed in will limit the elevator and aileron/pitch travel, so that one ESC would slow down, while the other speeds up. Unless you are at a dead stop, then the two ESCs would do the opposite of each other.

I know this sounds confusing, but if you understand how to fly helicopters and you know what the servos are doing when you move the sticks, then you can figure this out. Basically, on my crawlers, right stick operates both ESCs in the same direction, equally at the same speed. Left stick will change the biasing of thottle, front to rear. The two sticks are tied together with the heli programming. In this way you can be crawling, just using the left stick to control both ESCs together and front and rear motors will run at the same excact speed and direction. If you come up to a ledge and you want to increase the rear motor's speed to push harder against the front wheels of the crawler, so that you can get better traction in the front to crawl up and over the ledge, then moving the left stick off center slows the front motor down slightly, and speeds up the rear. This also works in reverse. If no throttle from the right stick is inputed, then moving the left stick off center will spin the motors opposite ways.

I don't have any experience with the Futaba 9CHP. I have one, but have never used it. If you read your manual carefully and play with the settings in the radio, you should be able to customize it for your crawler like I have.

If this is to confusing, then I'd suggest you switch the radio from heli mode to aircraft mode, and then you can set your channel mixes up a little more easily. To set up a mix is not very hard. You simply set one channel as a master and the other channel you want to mix, as the slave. If you assign the mix to a toggle switch, in one direction of the switch, you would set the mixing rate at 100% so both channels copy each other, and then in the other switch position, you would select 0% for the mixing rate, which would turn off the mix and allow independant control of the two channels.
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:58 AM   #6

Default Integy 4WS Dual ESC

http://picasaweb.google.pt/duartev/R...eat=directlink

Chassis: Integy SS01
2 ESC: Novak Rooster Crawler
2 Motor: Novak 55T
2 Servos: Hitec HS-7955TG (24Kg/0,15sec)
Transmitter: Futaba 9CHP
Receiver: Alpha-835 FM 35Mhz
Ch1 → AILE → Front Sterring
Ch2 → ELEV → Front ESC
Ch3 → THRO → Rear ESC
Ch4 → RUDD → Rear Sterring
Moves rear sterring same direction front servo
PMIX1
Aile->Rudd
+100;+100
Mas: Aile
Slv: Rudd