Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: PinchFlat’s PunkRC Dig Switch Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2009, 10:15 AM   #1
Say hello to my dactylion

Default PinchFlat’s PunkRC Dig Switch Review

PinchFlat’s PunkRC Dig Switch Review

You are having the crawling day of your life. All the planets are aligned & you’re on track to take it all and claim the top spot at one of the year’s largest RC crawling events. There’s one course left and as planed it’s the “easy” course. Even though competition is fierce today, you are confident that you can clean this course with your eyes closed, the competition is yours to win.

First gate, cleaned, second gate, no problem, you are going to wrap this comp up with a perfect score, easily capturing the first place spot. Third & forth combo gate is set up perfect, allowing you to use your dual switch servo dig unit. However, unbeknown to you, your dig servo has shifted due to a drop-off on the last course, ultimately placing the dig unit inoperable.

Half way through the third gate you make a sharp turn to the left heading straight for the right gate marker on gate four just avoiding the 5 foot drop to the right by a fraction of an inch. Eh... No problem, you click in your dig and burn the front tires around to align you perfect to casually cruise through the tricky fourth gate. But wait… WTF!!! Your dual switch servo dig didn’t engage the switch! Mashing the throttle expecting to burn your front tires into the perfect position, all four tires roost into action. Instead of that perfect pirouette, your rig flies off the ledge hitting the gate marker in the process. With no way back up to gate four, you are forced to take the 10 point reposition. Twenty points to your score and that first place finish just slipped through your fingers. If only you had the PunkRC Dig Switch.

Now I personally have never had that kind of bad luck with my dual switch servo dig, but mine does fail at least once a comp, due to the servo shifting, causing me numerous reverse penalties and sometimes a gate penalty. I have been fortunate enough not to have a switch burn out while running in a competition, but it has happened to me at practice. From the beginning I knew an electronic dig unit was possible, and Robin of PunkRC was just the guy to do it. All the crawler computers that I have run from Punk RC in the past have worked awesome. So when I heard rumors that Robin was working on and electronic dig, I knew it would be just as amazing as the other products that he’s made. I was right.

I had the opportunity to test out one of the prototypes at one of our local comps and it was amazing. The small footprint and the lack of ANY moving parts is the first thing I noticed. I couldn’t wait to have one of my own. So with the little input we all threw at Robin, he finalized the design and programming and started production. They are about the size a small receiver and take up no more space than my old mechanical dual switch servo dig I had in my rig.

Installation is a breeze! Really… wire up the front motor, wire up the rear motor, then wire up the power leads to the labeled tabs. YES! Labeled tabs… EASY! Plug in the dig unit into your 3rd channel receiver port, assign the desired switch on your radio to the 3rd channel and you have dig, WITH NO MOVING PARTS!!!!

I have ran this unit at two major comps in the past few weeks, UTRCRC's 2009 Points Series Final & MSD Scale Nationals 2.2 Pro Class Competition. The Punk RC Dig Switch worked FLAWLESSLY! I never worried about the servo moving or worried about burning up a switch. The dig was there every time I needed it, with out fail.

If you are thinking about getting a PunkRC Dig Switch don’t hesitate. It is worth every penny.

Thanks
-PinchFlat
AKA – Matt Davis, Co-Owner Reign RC

THIS PRODUCT IS PINCHFLAT APPROVED!

Last edited by PinchFlat; 05-23-2009 at 10:17 AM.
PinchFlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2009, 10:30 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Yup PunkRC did their homework and came out with quite possibly the most innovative design for us 3channel MOA guys.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

100% agree! I am loving mine as well!!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:05 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Used today for the first time. And all i have to say is flawless.
Best dig on the market worked everytime. I can agree with pinchflat about falling and your servo dig not working ive had to settle for 2nd or worse. Because the mirco switches move and poof no dig.

A+ punk RC you guys rock.
Flyin Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Hawaiian View Post
Used today for the first time. And all i have to say is flawless.
Best dig on the market worked everytime. I can agree with pinchflat about falling and your servo dig not working ive had to settle for 2nd or worse. Because the mirco switches move and poof no dig.

A+ punk RC you guys rock.

x2 Used mine for the first time today at the ALRC comp. It worked flawlessly even in wet conditions. Wish my driving was as good as the switch:-(. Rockcrawler won the comp with his installed as well...Got a lot of guys without it looking hard at getting one

Awesome work Robin/Punk Rc
TEDROCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:36 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDROCKZ View Post
Rockcrawler won the comp with his installed as well.

Works flawless as it always has since I have had it.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:31 PM   #7
'08 2.2 National Champ

Well put Pinch! I agree 100%!
Just Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:04 PM   #8
Keep it real

Dude, that's my Nat's story from last year, except mine wouldn't reengage back into 4wd costing me 2 gates and then a repair for a total of 30 points, bumping me from 5th to 8th keeping me out of the finals
The PunkRC unit is definitely a must have for MOA rigs
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote