Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Building a wiper motor servo??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 10:42 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Building a wiper motor servo??

In the early stages of aquiring parts to build this. Going off of this sight. Where could I get a motor controller that would work? The link in the sight is not working. Word of warning, I am NOT rich, or an electrical engineer. Any direction would be great
Bart bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2009, 12:41 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I am a Electrical Engineer who is also not rich, but is (looking at you avatar) also very pro-gun aka Bill of Rights and loves to Open Carry.....

I'd say that most any ESC would handle it as long as it can handle 10+ cells. Also, I can make a couple changes to one of my PunkRC Dig Switches to turn it into a H-Bridge motor controller. If you are interested, I can build one for you.... It will have two relays rates at 35VDC and 12A.

My big question is how do you do feedback on a setup like that? It is fairly easy to drive a motor forward/reverse/stop but to have it auto-return is a little more tricky... Are you planning on mounting a sensor (potentiometer...) or just adjust it to center manually as you drive?

Does that make sence? You can PM me, but i think this discussion is best left in the forum.
PunkRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the reply. I don't know if you read the link, but a steering servo 'is' the pot? It is linked to the the wiper motor just to relay the signal to the Tecel D200 driver. That will make the wiper motor return to center? I am having trouble coming up with said driver or an equivilant control for the wiper. Or just some help in building a wiper motor steering servo.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:13 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

EDIT: I just read you post, so this sounds funny

By reading how he did the feedback etc. I am not a huge fan of how he does it.....

You could use a nearly empty servo, with just the inside POT, for a sensor like he does, then use a ESC/H-Bridge to drive the motor. If using a ESC, it shouldn't have any brake.

Then all you'd need is a controller to do the feedback loop. I could write a little program for one of my PunkRC computers that could do that.... It would then just driver the esc with the POT and command from the rx.....
Old 06-03-2009, 01:20 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I'd say get some Servo's to hack and the motors all mounted like he did. Once you are at the point of needing to wire the RX and Sensor Servo and Motor, I can get you something that would do it for guessing 150 with relay H-Bridge motor controller or $100 is you use a ESC.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:04 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I'll get some junk together and take some pics so we can figure this out. Thanks PRC