Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Where the heck is the Voltage output in the CC BEC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2014, 03:21 PM   #1
IPT
Quarry Creeper

Default Where the heck is the Voltage output in the CC BEC?

Just wired in my CC BEC to up my voltage. I can't find that choice in my Castle Link software! I must be missing it. I have both lights green for the connection.

Under basic: I have cot off V, Auto Lipo, Rev Type, Motor direction, Power on beep, Brake amt, drag brake as options.

Under power: max fwd poer, max rev power, and punch control (box for tourque limit)

Advanced: sensorless motor timing, Arming time, throttle dead band, and start power.

Then there is the throttle abd brake curve.

What am I missing??
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2014, 03:28 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Where the heck is the Voltage output in the CC BEC?

What do you have it hooked to? The description you gave is for a ESC not a BEC which in that case I have never seen a adjustable internal BEC from CC.
craddock35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:30 PM   #3
RCC Addict

It sounds like your ESC is hooked up. Plug in the RX plug from the BEC into the CC Link.

The BEC's available setting is only the voltage adjustment.
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:44 PM   #4
IPT
Quarry Creeper

Okay, then it seems it won't recognize just the BEC. If I plug in the battery the light on the BEC goes green. I need to turn on the ESC though to get the second light on the Castle link software to go green (recognize the connection). The 3 wire lead from the ESC (less the red wire) is plugged into the Castle link then USB to my computer. Is that not normal?
Old 04-06-2014, 03:48 PM   #5
IPT
Quarry Creeper

Oh wait, just re-read - I plugged the wires from the ESC to the Castle link, not the wires from the BEC! Will re-try.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:49 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Sounds like you have something hooked up wrong. You should not have to turn on your esc to get it to recognize the BEC. It should tell you on the CC link page what it is seeing. It sound like you have the esc plugged in the CC link not the BEC. That is my best guess without at least seeing it.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:49 PM   #7
RCC Addict

The BEC has it's own RX wires, plug those into the CC Link and make sure they are plugged in the correct orientation. How is the BEC installed?
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:54 PM   #8
RCC Addict

You should be wired up something like this when done. There are others but this is the way I have done mine for years.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2014, 04:05 PM   #9
IPT
Quarry Creeper

Won't recognize just the BEC. Plugged it in the same way I did the BEC but the second light doesn't go green. Battery is plugged in, green light on BEC is on. If I plug in the ESC once I power it on Castle link recognizes it. If I unplug it and plug in the BEC it doesn't see it. I tried having it plugged in and re-starting the software while it was still plugged in and also plugging the BEC in while the software was already running. Not sure what's going on...

The way I wired it was per Castle instructions. Pos and Neg onto the battery terminal respectively. Diconnected the RED wire from the ESC lead to the reciever. Going to just pulg the BEC into an open slot on the reciever.

Last edited by IPT; 04-06-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:33 PM   #10
IPT
Quarry Creeper

yeah, something is amiss. I am putting this in a Stampede waiting for my Wraith kit to arrive. Tried to just run the truck and no dice. I get the Rx light and BEC light. When I turn it on (Sidewinder ESC) the steering servo striaghtens the wheels and I have streering power and control. The ESC keeps beeping though and no throttle.

Not sure what could be off. It doesn't seem all the hard. ESC is plugged into the same spot on the Rx as it was and the BEC to the slot above. It's not like I wored the BEC or anything. Just fed it power and plugged it in (taking the Red lead away from the ESC output to the Rx). Confusing.

Last edited by IPT; 04-06-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:52 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Did you take the power wire out of the plug for the ESC before plugging it into the rx? You only need 1 power source into the rx which would be your BEC but you have to pull the ESC power wire.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:53 PM   #12
Suck it up!

You probably need to update the Castle software and reflash the bec. I had to do that to the last one I bought because it wouldn't recognize it.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:28 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPT View Post
yeah, something is amiss. I am putting this in a Stampede waiting for my Wraith kit to arrive. Tried to just run the truck and no dice. I get the Rx light and BEC light. When I turn it on (Sidewinder ESC) the steering servo striaghtens the wheels and I have streering power and control. The ESC keeps beeping though and no throttle.

Not sure what could be off. It doesn't seem all the hard. ESC is plugged into the same spot on the Rx as it was and the BEC to the slot above. It's not like I wored the BEC or anything. Just fed it power and plugged it in (taking the Red lead away from the ESC output to the Rx). Confusing.
Did you do the initial radio to esc calibration?
TEDROCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:15 PM   #14
IPT
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
You probably need to update the Castle software and reflash the bec. I had to do that to the last one I bought because it wouldn't recognize it.
Tried to update the Castle link and it replied ni updated needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDROCKZ View Post
Did you do the initial radio to esc calibration?
Not exactly, but I can program the ESC via USB. I guess getting the BEC recognized and set properly so know it is functioning will come before I try and get the radio controlling things. If I need to really go backwards I could put the red lead back in the ESC hookup and take the BEC out of the loop to get running again. First I want to make sure I have done everything for the BEC before I jump backwards. Would I have steering but no throttle if the controler to ESC connection wasn't there?

Still not sure if it is the software, the BED itself, or something I'm just missing. There are many connections I could have messed up. At the least the BEC gets power. It gets power if the battery is plugged in, or with the battery not plugged in but plugged into the Castle USB link it will also get power (green light on).

Last edited by IPT; 04-06-2014 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:30 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Let me see if I can simplify this a bit.
First unhook the bec from your receiver, leave the input end connected to your power source. Hook the CC link to the BEC and turn on the rig this should let the CC link see the BEC. I.E. Let the truck power the BEC while hooked the the link.

Second it's sounds like you have it installed properly. When you turn on your tx and rig and you have power to the servo and steering whilst the red wire from the esc that let's you know your BEC is working. It is just at the factory voltage setting (5.4v, I think)
Also you need to calibrate the esc to the radio. Look at the quick set up instructions for the esc.

Last edited by TEDROCKZ; 04-06-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:03 PM   #16
IPT
Quarry Creeper

Dang TedRockz, you must be magic!! I did that same procedure like 40 times with no dice. Just did it again and "presto" if linked up. Now I just need to get my Controlled synched back up.

I have to admit the Castle Link does seems a bit finiky. I had a similar issue setting up my ESC where it just would not find it. The one time it just did. i did nothing different.

Okay, now to try and get some control over this rig. Thank you!

PS: When i build my Wraith I think i will set up the BEC before I even instal it!
Old 04-06-2014, 07:15 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Now do this. Except the using the switch part if you have bypassed it. Just plug the battery in while holding full throttle on the TX

">

Old 04-06-2014, 08:33 PM   #18
IPT
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the video. I'm just not having any luck here. I did exactly like the video (same as in my manula0 like 20 times. Every time I either got a series of non stop beeps or two beeps. I had the same issue the first time trying to get it calibrated but just like this Castle link on time it just worked. LOL, even the BEC was a fluke. The lights still seemed dim so I tried to get to the BEC again via the link to up the Volts and it won't connect. Am I the only one having these interittent issues with the Castle stuff? I'm pretty new to this so don't really know what "normal" is.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:35 PM   #19
MODERHATER™

Pictures of your setup please.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:47 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

I had an issue with two micro sidewinders a while back. They would not calibrate. Tried a lot of different things and lastly I reverted back to an older firmware of the Cc link and it calibrated first try. I went back to the 1.29 firmware.

Where the heck is the Voltage output in the CC BEC? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Voltage output. philg Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 8 09-20-2012 03:41 PM
low output voltage???? mudn_1 Electronics 4 11-29-2010 10:52 AM
CC BEC voltage output ScaleReady Newbie General 4 04-20-2010 05:44 PM
cc bec output voltage question crawldad91 Electronics 7 11-05-2008 04:12 PM
How to change output voltage of Castle BEC??? RedBetta Electronics 6 12-03-2007 11:10 AM