Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Idea: "pistol grip trainer box" for DX6i or 6EX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 01:24 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Idea: "pistol grip trainer box" for DX6i or 6EX

I have an idea:

In RC airplanes and helis you can learn to fly with the help of an experienced pilot using a "trainer box". Basically, two controllers hook together and the experienced pilot can select when the newbie has control and when he doesn't.

So what if Futaba or Spektrum came out with a "pistol grip" trainer box that would plug into their existing radios so they could be used for crawlers, etc.? That way you wouldn't have to modify your stick radio to get 6 channels.

The only downside I see is that you'd have to find a good way of holding 2 radios at once :-P:-P

Let me know what you think. Maybe someone from Futaba or Spektrum will see this thread and send me some parts to try it out

Edit: After doing some research, it appears that the futaba may be easier to do. they make a "switch box" type of trainer box which makes me think that as long as the potentiometer readings are the same between the sticks and the trigger/wheel it would work.
The spektrum looks to be a more complicated interface (somputerized signal between the slave and master)

Last edited by engineerjoe; 06-18-2009 at 03:13 PM.
engineerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2009, 07:49 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Should work good Give it a try!! Keep us updated

Kieren
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:40 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I dont think that would be popular since the air guys are use to sticks.

I will be turning my DX6 into a Pistol once I find the pistol I want to use.
so far I have a Futaba Junior radio and a game flight controller.
I'll start a build thread on it soon, user "clockworks" has already started his.

Good luck, just keep the pots the same and it will be fine
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:50 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

i think i saw a thread the other day of a guy trying that already. maybe in england or somplace like that. check a couple days back. in either electronics or chit chat or general , i know it is there somewhere. maybe british colombia. anyway was not in the u. s. good luck.
calcat430d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:52 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

looks like you already found it.
calcat430d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:22 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

As well as holding 2 Txs, you'd also need to hold the "trainer" switch on the master Tx.

On both my "air" Txs (DX6i and Futaba 7C), the trainer switch is spring loaded. You could replace the spring toggle switch with a standard on/off switch, but that'd mean modding the Tx, which is what you are trying to avoid.

Holding 2 Txs is tricky. As part of my "building a 6ch pistol Tx" thread, I've had a pistol Tx connected to my DX6i by cables. The Dx6i, on a neck strap, really gets in the way when you are using both hands to hold a pistol Tx.
clockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:55 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Actually sanwa gives you the ability to connect the M11 or super exzes to say an RD8000. I tried it once but only four of the 8 channels were operational. Plus there was no trainer mode just a solid link meaning that when I manipulated channel ! in both RXs all hell broke loose. After talking to sanwa for this they said they are not supposed to link normally hence the erratic behaviour rather the ports are there to use the controllers in sims.
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote