Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Switching to lipo questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Switching to lipo questions

Well, right now i use (2) 1500mah 6 cell saddle packs and they have been doing great. Been getting around 30-40min run times with them. But i now run a losi comp crawler and kind of want to convert to lipos for the extra room (small battery plate). I would be going with 2 cheap 3s 1500mah lipos because everyone that has used them on here said they are doing great. For a charger i would either get a cheapie from hong kong (also good results) or looking for a used charger around $30. Could i get a decent used one for around that price? If i switched to lipos would i get less time? About the same? More?
InFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2009, 06:17 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

The batteries you selected will be fine, they will give you considerably more wheel speed they are 3 s right. That means 11.1 volts as compared to 7.2 volts. I assume you have an esc that can handle the voltage and has a lipo shutoff as well? You will get a little more run time. As for chargers..30 seems a little on the cheap side for a good charger. I had a lipo charger for a helicopter in that price range but the charge rate was very low. If overnight charging is for you then go for it. I am a little bit impatient so I would look for a charger that would charge my batts at least at 1c.
cobrawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:51 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Don't skimp on the charger. You need one that will balance the cells accurately and allow you to vary the charge rate based on battery capacity (1c). Most cheap chargers will have .1v variance or more between cells; not good for a lipo in the long run.

That said I have a DN lipo charger that I am willing to part with for $30 shipped if you are interested.
Ktbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:09 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I have a sidewinder so it can handle it, what do you guys think of a mystery imax b6 charger?
InFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:31 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I had an Imax B6, you get what you pay for. After modifing the resistors for ones with a tighter tolerance it performed o.k. until it smoked.

I now use a FMA 10s; one of the best in my opinion.
Ktbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:40 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I would still invest a little money in the charger. After all it will make your batteries last longer and cause fewer problems in the long run.
cobrawes is offline   Reply With Quote