Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: running lots off the esc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009, 03:02 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default running lots off the esc

Yes, you'll all scream 'Castle external BEC' at me, but hold on :P

I'm running a novak rooster crawler, which has a 6v, 5A bec on it. Stock tamiya 540 motor (CR01) and a couple of hitec 645MG servos. I reckon they'd run straight off the esc

I also plan to run a winch and a set of lights. Now, both of these run via a Y-harness off the battery, so does that mean I don't need to factor them into the esc load? Also the lights will be a tiny draw, and the winch will most likely only ever be used on its own - not at the same time as the servos.

so, should I be ok?
mrklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2009, 05:05 AM   #2
Just jump it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrklaw View Post
Yes, you'll all scream 'Castle external BEC' at me, but hold on :P

I'm running a novak rooster crawler, which has a 6v, 5A bec on it. Stock tamiya 540 motor (CR01) and a couple of hitec 645MG servos. I reckon they'd run straight off the esc

I also plan to run a winch and a set of lights. Now, both of these run via a Y-harness off the battery, so does that mean I don't need to factor them into the esc load? Also the lights will be a tiny draw, and the winch will most likely only ever be used on its own - not at the same time as the servos.

so, should I be ok?
If you are running the winch and lights off a y harness it should be fine.
I was running a JR8711 servo off the rooster and never had any problems with the internal bec. It was when i added a full size servo for the dig when it finally started to act up!
rottenbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:55 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Yes it will work but....

I ran 2 645's off my rooster for awhile, dig and steering I was fine so long as neither servo bound up while the other was doing anything. As soon as the steering got bound up and I was using dig it put too much load on the internal bec. I'd strongly recomend an external bec, without it problems are just around the corner IMO.
Nate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:09 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

are they easy enough to install? With me needing to have two sets of y-harnesses for the lights/winch, plus maybe an external bec, its going to be a bowl of spaghetti in there as it is.

Surprised there is that much leeway though - the rooster has a 5A bec which I'd have expected to be enough - why even bother putting a large bec on if its not enough for general usage? (645s are good but nothing special)

edit: Whats the current draw of a stalled hitec 645MG? Can't seem to find anything other than the current draw with no load.

Last edited by mrklaw; 07-23-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:41 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate08 View Post
Yes it will work but....

I ran 2 645's off my rooster for awhile, dig and steering I was fine so long as neither servo bound up while the other was doing anything. As soon as the steering got bound up and I was using dig it put too much load on the internal bec. I'd strongly recomend an external bec, without it problems are just around the corner IMO.

what happens if it puts too much load? Does the esc fry, or do you just lose power elsewhere? If its the second one, then I can always back off to 2ws if I'm bound up

I just find it odd that I can't easily find these BECs in the UK, nor many UK forums even mentioning them - yet here its almost a must have
Old 07-23-2009, 02:51 PM   #6
Keep it real

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrklaw View Post
what happens if it puts too much load? Does the esc fry, or do you just lose power elsewhere? If its the second one, then I can always back off to 2ws if I'm bound up
The truck will just freeze up until you pick it up and release the load on the servos.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:52 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

on all my esc's that cant handle the load just shut down for a sec, but they dont have a 5A bec only like 1-2A
edit- tanis beat me to it
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:29 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

well I've ordered one - better to have it and not use it, than to need it and not have it. Plan to start building next weekend when everything's arrived.

Looking at the wiring diagram I don't think it affects the lights/winch - they tag on the end, so it should be managable.

Better safe than sorry too, right?
Old 07-23-2009, 04:40 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Always better to plan for the worst than get stuck when it happens.

You could wire the lights and winch to run off the bec as well so long as you're happy running them at the same voltage as your servos.
Nate08 is offline   Reply With Quote