RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Do I need a castle creations BEC? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/192056-do-i-need-castle-creations-bec.html)

BadRockNoCookie 08-01-2009 02:32 PM

Do I need a castle creations BEC?

I am going to be running my very first rig with a NiMH battery pack, Hitec 5645MG servo, Tekin 45t Motor, Tekin FX-R esc, and a Tactic TTX240 Transmitter w/matching receiver. The FX-R esc states that it has an internal BEC of 6.0V/3.0A. Do I need to run a castle creations BEC with this setup?

Failedabortion 08-01-2009 02:44 PM

Do you already have those electronics or they what you plan on using?

A 5645 is kind of below the min for a 2.2 rig, might want to look for something with 200+ ozin

Also that radio is only a 2ch, with a 3ch you can use dig or if its a scale build a winch. Look into the new futaba radio( check the thread out in the electronics section) or the new ko propo 3 ch radio. Both are under $200, 2.4ghz and the ko comes with 2 receivers.

I've never used an esc on a crawler without adding a bec just to take the load off the esc and because I run 3s. Should be fine without one though.

BadRockNoCookie 08-01-2009 02:47 PM

Those are what I plan on going with. I forgot to mention that my rig will be a 1.9 scale crawler based on the Axial SCX kit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Failedabortion (Post 1921251)

A 5645 is kind of below the min for a 2.2 rig, might want to look for something with 200+ ozin

Also that radio is only a 2ch, with a 3ch you can use dig or if its a scale build a winch. Look into the new futaba radio( check the thread out in the electronics section) or the new ko propo 3 ch radio. Both are under $200, 2.4ghz and the ko comes with 2 receivers.

I've never used an esc on a crawler without adding a bec just to take the load off the esc and because I run 3s. Should be fine without one though.

benoj 08-01-2009 03:03 PM

i would say you will be just fine with that setup on a 1.9. i have a worse setup w/o a ccbec, 2 ht servos off a esc with like 1.5a bec

R/CMaxximus5.0 08-01-2009 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Failedabortion (Post 1921251)

that servo will be fine. Esp. on a scx10.

acrosteve 08-16-2009 03:52 PM

I sort of have the same question.

If you are only planning on running 6 or 7 cell nmh packs, there really is no need for a BEC, right?

It is only when you get into the higher voltage lipo packs?

Or is it more related to what servo load you have? Say the difference between the HS-5955TG or the HS-645MG?

Or to ask it another way - If you had a very light servo load and a high voltage lip pack, would there be much need for a BEC?

jeepron 08-16-2009 04:38 PM

from my understanding you should have a bec, if not you can lose voltage to your receiver unless you run a pack for your rx and servos only