RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   odd dx30 radio issue (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/198232-odd-dx30-radio-issue.html)

crash 09-07-2009 02:18 PM

odd dx30 radio issue

So I got my boy a used dx30 to replace his tq3 radio. Well recently its had an odd glitch--and I have nailed down to the radio itself(binded my dx3r with zero issues). When you go forward, and more pronounced when you lightly blurp the throttle--the steering servo glitches (servo horn goes back forth like 1/4")...

I have torn down the radio and inpected the internals--of course nothing seen.

Was wondering if anybody has had a simlular issue like this. Luckily I am only $50 into the radio.

Narly1 09-07-2009 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crashfab (Post 1982459)
So I got my boy a used dx30 to replace his tq3 radio. Well recently its had an odd glitch--and I have nailed down to the radio itself(binded my dx3r with zero issues). When you go forward, and more pronounced when you lightly blurp the throttle--the steering servo glitches (servo horn goes back forth like 1/4")...

I have torn down the radio and inpected the internals--of course nothing seen.

Was wondering if anybody has had a simlular issue like this. Luckily I am only $50 into the radio.

Dirty/worn out potentiometer (aka pot, control pot, throttle pot)?

Best way to troubleshoot would be to connect to an oscilloscope, between the wiper (center pin) and ground. The voltage should vary smoothly with no step change as you squeeze the throttle trigger. If the voltage trace looks fuzzy or has "grass" (AC noise superimposed on top of the DC throttle position signal) that would be indicative of a noisy pot.

You could always try squirting some control cleaner (available at electronics stores) into the pot, but that may only be delaying the pot's demise.

Narly1

jamesdicken 09-07-2009 03:11 PM

have you reset all the settings in the radio? like the mixes!

Narly1 09-07-2009 07:08 PM

Man, I should have read the question more closely. LOL.

If you are getting interaction across channels then yes, as jamesdicken suggests, check that the throttle & steering channels aren't mixed together by accident.

Narly1

crash 09-08-2009 08:53 AM

I went and reset the radio--and rebound the radio to the reciever.

Still acts up....

Narly1 09-08-2009 10:28 AM

A couple of more ideas:

Does the reverse happen?

Ie if you wiggle the steering around does the rig move backwards or forwards?

Are the results of a range check normal?

Narly1

crash 09-08-2009 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Narly1 (Post 1983890)
A couple of more ideas:

Does the reverse happen?

Ie if you wiggle the steering around does the rig move backwards or forwards?

Are the results of a range check normal?

Narly1

Touching the steering has no effect or any glitch causing issues.

I would think the dashpot for the throttle would not cause any issues--I would think its a deeper issue within the radio--but I just don't know.

rock addict 09-08-2009 05:39 PM

what esc and motor??

is there a bec??

is the rx dirty/ old??

I had a issue in the race truck where the esc was draining the rx and glitching the steering, and throttle. I added a bec and worked perfect.

Narly1 09-08-2009 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rock addict (Post 1984638)
what esc and motor??

is there a bec??

is the rx dirty/ old??

I had a issue in the race truck where the esc was draining the rx and glitching the steering, and throttle. I added a bec and worked perfect.

All things that you would normally consider except that Crashfab says the problem goes away when he binds another transmitter to the vehicle.

Narly1

chrisjlittle 09-08-2009 10:15 PM

I'm not very familiar with the dx3.0, but is there a framerate adjustment? My futaba stuff does really weird stuff when I run it on the high res setting with analog servos. It might be worth slowing the framerate down.

crash 09-08-2009 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisjlittle (Post 1985197)
I'm not very familiar with the dx3.0, but is there a framerate adjustment? My futaba stuff does really weird stuff when I run it on the high res setting with analog servos. It might be worth slowing the framerate down.

As best as I can tell you cannot change the frame rate of the servo's lile you can with the DX3R...

Narly1 09-09-2009 07:20 AM

Hey Crashfab, here's another idea....

I once had one of my DX3's display start acting up after it got soaked as a result of a heavy downpour at a race. This was even after I let it dry out thoroughly. When I took it apart I could see some residue lines on the printed circuit board. I am pretty sure that the flux used during soldering was water soluble, and I'm guessing the rain washed the flux and some solder particles across two of the traces. The fix was a blast of board cleaner and a light cleaning with a soft brush.

That fixed the problem, maybe you might want to try the same. Also check the antenna connector on the short piece of wire that plugs into the RF (radio frequency) deck/module.... MMCX connectors are tricky to get on straight by hand and thus properly seated.

A sign of a bad antenna/antenna connection would be poor range.... did you ever check that as I suggested before?

Narly1