Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Killing servos... Why?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2009, 11:34 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Angry Killing servos... Why?

Well I am running a CCBEC set at 6.0v. Just checked it again with a castle link. I have a 3PM 2.4g radio and receiver. I set the radio to HRS mode. My dig. JR steering servo is ok but I have killed 2 mini dig servos. first was a cheep hobbico cs-35. I just got a HS-225mg in the mail today, plugged it in and it got warm , jittered and stopped working in all of about 30-40 seconds. I didn't even have it hooked up. This DNA dig is starting to cost me money. Any ideas or suggestions? Please help
AgentXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2009, 11:35 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentXXX View Post
Well I am running a CCBEC set at 6.0v. Just checked it again with a castle link. I have a 3PM 2.4g radio and receiver. I set the radio to HRS mode. My dig. JR steering servo is ok but I have killed 2 mini dig servos. first was a cheep hobbico cs-35. I just got a HS-225mg in the mail today, plugged it in and it got warm , jittered and stopped working in all of about 30-40 seconds. I didn't even have it hooked up. This DNA dig is starting to cost me money. Any ideas or suggestions? Please help

Ya--stop using mini servo's...
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:42 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

There are tons of DNA digs that work just fine, pretty sure it isn't the dig casuing it. When you say you didn't even have it hooked up yet, you must have had something hooked up for it to do that.

Are you sure the BEC is wired correctly? Do you only fry the mini servos or do regular servos fry also?
RustlerHustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:43 PM   #4

Are you running a capacitor so that you don't put too much voltage to the servo? Because that's a pretty common mistake.
Lake-Skater15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:08 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Skater15 View Post
Are you running a capacitor so that you don't put too much voltage to the servo? Because that's a pretty common mistake.
what are you talking about a cap? i burnt up a new 82mg last week the same way. take out of package and plug in= buzz heat and no workie. connected to nothing.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:10 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:12 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Well, I am only running the bec at 6.0v. I have had no problems with my full sized Digital JRdz8550. It runs fine with a slight buzz finding center. I set my EPAs at 50 just to make sure I didn't stress the gears and plugged it in without any linkage attached. It bugged and moved correctly when I switched the sw2 switch and then after sitting idle for about 20 seconds, that was it. No more buzzing and dead. Same story with my first one. I even plugged my steering one into the 3rd channel and it works perfect. No clue on this one.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:17 AM   #8

Well then do you have the endpoints set too far to where you are stripping your gears? Or maybe the dig is binding for some reason?
Lake-Skater15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:28 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

If I am reading this correctly. You did not have the servo linkage hooked up. But the servo was pluged into the RX. The servo worked for a few seconds, then got hot and died.

Hmmmmm. I have had 2 HS-255mg servos do the same thing to me. I will no longer use those servos. I have sent them back to Hitec, and am wainting word on them. I have heard that Hitec has good customer service, I have no reason to not think so. But I do think that the 225mg are prone to problem.

I would use a full size servo for the dig. I have not heard of much success with mini servos. Even though they should work just fine. Or spend a lot of money on a good ( Futaba, JR ) mini servo. This is just my $.02.
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:28 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I didn't even have it hooked up.
Quote:
plugged it in without any linkage attached.
Quote:
Well then do you have the endpoints set too far to where you are stripping your gears? Or maybe the dig is binding for some reason?

He didnt even have the linkage hooked up.

Not sure whats going on with that. I would put a meter on it though and make sure your only getting 6v.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:36 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

hmm, strange, wonder if its defective bec..ya mini servo,s suck, i coocked several before i got a radio i could set the endpoints up right on the 3rd channel now works fine..if the servo is dying without linkage hooked up..bigger servo might handle the higher voltage..i,m speculating your bec might be putting out more than 6v, should be ok at 6 though as thats what i run and most others as well..maybee drop to 5.5v
vonclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:38 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcrawler View Post
He didnt even have the linkage hooked up.

Not sure whats going on with that. I would put a meter on it though and make sure your only getting 6v.
same with my 82mg, i didn't even have the dig yet (hrd 3.1). and the bec in my goat was powering it. and i have a ex5-ur only flipped it to 50%
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:44 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Just checked it with the meeter and 6.0 is what it is putting out. Im lost on this one.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:57 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Two things come to mind:
1. If the servo was connected to the links/dig were the endpoints set well within the travel limits of the servo? I normally start at 20% on both sides and move it out to the limits slowly.

2. You said you have the tx set to HRS mode; I believe that is for digital servos only, the 225mg is analog - that would burn the servo up pretty quickly - try PPM mode or switch to all digital servos.
Ktbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:08 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

HRS mode is for digital servos only, it will burn up a standard servo.
chevellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:20 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevellian View Post
HRS mode is for digital servos only, it will burn up a standard servo.
I would change to the Digital HS-5245MG. This servo has worked flawlessly in a LCC for the dig.
69CrazyHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:30 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Short discussion on it.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-el...-didgital.html

HRS is for Digital Servo's only. Amount and speed of info transmitted will burn up an Analog servo.
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:46 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69CrazyHorse View Post
I would change to the Digital HS-5245MG. This servo has worked flawlessly in a LCC for the dig.
If you want to run a mini servo, I agree. I've been running a 5245MG with my Eritex HRD and have no issues whatsoever.

From what I understand though, the DNA dig seems to function better with a standard size servo.
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:14 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Ok, so these servos may have died by my own hand. I think I may see if I have space for a full size. Thanks for all the help. It must have been the setting on the radio.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:21 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

I ground the gears up in a 225 non-mg - only thing the LHS had in stock. I fabbed my own mount for a 85MG (I had it from another car) and its worked well for me. I set the servo to zero with the radio with no linkage, with endpoints set to zero. Center the servo so the dig is free wheel, then move the endpoints till it locks in 4x4 and dig. My endpoints are sometimes only 20 points from center, so setting it to 50 might be too far.

My first setup was 645MG, that thing didn't care what I did to it. Won't fit in my chassis now, so mini servo has to go in.
phillyb is offline   Reply With Quote