Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Novak M2 Dig ESC Combo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2010, 12:54 AM   #381
Pebble Pounder

Doh! Whoops, don't know why I thanked you for John Hallman's post... Guess I shouldn't drink & post at the same time!

Also, as far as the mixing, I probably should have said 'biasing'.

So, can the 3pmx be set up for normal front /rear dig _and_ biasing? I'd like to have front/rear dig work off one button like normal, and be able to 'bias' power to the front / rear wheels on another button. You know, like 90% power to fronts & 10% to the rears (or 80/20, etc...)

Please??? I'm dying to know if this esc can do that with my radio & how to set it up. If I can find out for sure it can, I'll order it next week.

From what I can tell the 3pmx instructions John posted show how to configure the dig, but not the biasing.

Thanks,

Rich C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
The whole point of the M2 is that you "don't" need to Mix anything.

It just works from a simple 3POS switch.

The biasing is based off the 3rd channels "trim". On the Futaba radios, and many others, you can set the Trim Steps, so you can have on click biasing. This is called the "trim step" feature in most radios.

Again, the M2 requires NO MIXING to operate as intended. The mixing is done on the Airtronics to increase the functionality of the buttons and switches of that radio.

John Hallman is Novak's full time tech support, and all around nice guy, he's sort of a radio wizard and has explained some details. I don't claim to have checked these, but he's usually spot on. I've never been a big fan of Futaba's menus in the radios. Spektrum stuff lacks some of the features the Futaba offers but lacks some of the depth of the Futaba adjustability.
conejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2010, 04:16 AM   #382
I wanna be Dave

from what i've read here my tq2.4 4ch would be able to give me f/r dig control but without having trim control on the 3rd channel on the transmitter i wouldn't be able to get biasing control from the transmitter. am i reading things correctly?

by the why i'm running a true 3-pos module from wantAsummit which gives me a 3-pos 4th channel.
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:14 AM   #383
Rock Crawler

It's here! Time to have a go at it
Vertec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:17 AM   #384
"HOLLYWOOD"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertec View Post
It's here! Time to have a go at it
Is it done yet??? Lololol

Let's see more pics.
Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:59 AM   #385
I wanna be Dave

All this trouble......... sell it and get Dual FXR's

JK

Hope you get it figured out
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:48 PM   #386
Rock Crawler

Got it hooked up and going! Real easy to setup and in and out of dig is quick! Now going to learn how the proportional part works!
Old 10-29-2010, 04:11 PM   #387
I wanna be Dave

I have a really dumb question...

I just received my M2, I will be getting everything setup and running this evening. I took it out of box and was stoked to find that it came with the fan, but I am just a little confused... Where does it screw into? Do the screws that come with it just screw into the heatsink?

Another, slightly less dumb question:

This is my very first MOA. I am running two Novak 45T motors, do I need to flip the endbell for the rear motor?

Thanks!!!

Oh, I order this thing the night before last and UPS dropped it off today, Novak is the poo!!!
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:57 PM   #388
Rock Crawler

Biasing works with ANY radio that has a 3rd Ch, and a trim for that Ch.

On the DX3r, it's pretty simple. You set one Switch for 3POS, one switch for Aux Lin (This equals a trim), and setup the ESC, then switch to the Bias profile.

We took it one step further (Thansks Everett) and setup the F button to be a 2Pos. So, when you're in Bias, or In Dig, you tap the F button to go right back to 4wd. NO thinking, just tap your 4wd Button.

The 3rd Ch Trim is how the BIasing works, There may be other wasy to set it up, but the idea behind the product is simplicity and ease of operation.

Fan screws into the heatsink. Not needed even on 3S really. We've been running them and havn't gotten the ESC past "warm".

MOA motors don't 'HAVE' to have one motor reversed, you can just wire the one motor backwards.

One thing to note is, be sure to use the "Forward" direction of the ESC (solid green light) as the forward motion of the truck.

Last edited by Charlie; 10-29-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:12 PM   #389
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
One thing to note is, be sure to use the "Forward" direction of the ESC (solid green light) as the forward motion of the truck.
VERY good to know, thanks!!! I'm wiring the motors up with power poles, so it will be easy to swap them around if needed (not to worry, the battery will be wired up with Deans). Once I get everything running right I'll put a ring of blue heat shrink on the motor wires so I know which one goes to the blue ESC wire.

Thanks again for the response!!!

Last edited by Greatscott; 10-29-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:25 PM   #390
Rock Crawler

Im confused is this already released to the public or just the one's who preordered? I've got a DX3S will that radion work to start with?
Monstergt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:28 PM   #391
Rock Crawler

Nevermind I see it's shipping now. Do I need a Nova link?
Monstergt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:22 PM   #392
Rock Crawler

ESC works fine with out the NovaLink, software for the M2 is in the process of being released, but is not out.

DX3S, only has a 2pos switch. So you'd only get 'one side' digging.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:37 AM   #393
Pebble Pounder

i'll have to check the hobby shop i would like to try one out and see how good it is

dan
moto261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:47 AM   #394
Rock Stacker

I have a spektrum dx3 (this is not the dx3.0)

Manual link. look at pg34 http://www.google.com.au/search?q=sp...ient=firefox-a

Will it work with this esc. What are my capabilities with the spektrum dx3 and the novak m2 esc.

Last edited by dusty sweep; 10-30-2010 at 05:49 AM.
dusty sweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:23 AM   #395

I totally agree with you . They asked I said yes they had no idea who I was or crawling experience.
trollmanxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:22 AM   #396
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Biasing works with ANY radio that has a 3rd Ch, and a trim for that Ch.

On the DX3r, it's pretty simple. You set one Switch for 3POS, one switch for Aux Lin (This equals a trim), and setup the ESC, then switch to the Bias profile.

We took it one step further (Thansks Everett) and setup the F button to be a 2Pos. So, when you're in Bias, or In Dig, you tap the F button to go right back to 4wd. NO thinking, just tap your 4wd Button.

Love the F button beening this way, i use it to go in and out of rear dig with just the tap of the button!

The 3rd Ch Trim is how the BIasing works, There may be other wasy to set it up, but the idea behind the product is simplicity and ease of operation.

Fan screws into the heatsink. Not needed even on 3S really. We've been running them and havn't gotten the ESC past "warm".

Ran 5 packs thur mine yesterday with out the fan and would say it didn't even start to feel warm i was using a 2s

MOA motors don't 'HAVE' to have one motor reversed, you can just wire the one motor backwards.

need to go look at mine i think it has blue,yellow,and red showing??
Thanks
Old 10-30-2010, 09:33 AM   #397
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty sweep View Post
I have a spektrum dx3 (this is not the dx3.0)

Manual link. look at pg34 http://www.google.com.au/search?q=sp...ient=firefox-a

Will it work with this esc. What are my capabilities with the spektrum dx3 and the novak m2 esc.
DX3 toggle switch installation

The DX3 w/ toggle mod works great I prefer it over the DX3r. It will work great for this esc.

:(edit) Just read the rest of the posts and i don't think this is what your asking?

Last edited by stubs179; 10-30-2010 at 09:40 AM.
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:39 PM   #398
Pebble Pounder

O.K. I received mine yesterday and installed it today with my DX3R. I have both switches set for straight dig and proportional dig and work great. But now my dig both front and rear only works going forward? As soon as I reverse in either dig both motors turn not just the one selected. If this makes sense, is anyone else having this problem?
80mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:52 PM   #399

How are these esc's working for everyone. I want one but I want to know how they are working before I throw down the money.
buzz1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:19 AM   #400
Rock Crawler

Here's a quick video of m2
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...MDA5LjNncA.mp4