Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Tekin FXR Freak-Out!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2009, 04:37 PM   #1

Default Tekin FXR Freak-Out!

Hello Everyone,

First post here guys so be kind . I have just got into RC rock crawling from the 1:1 variety and have built an AX-10. Here are the Specs...

- AX-10 Kit
- Tekin 45T combo with FXR
- Front XP Digital DS1015 Servo
- Rear Spektrum Z590 Servo
- 2S Lipo (Losi Rx Pack)
- Spektrum DX3.0 (currently being exchanged for DX6i)
- SR3000 Rx

I love the thing and it works great but I am having a shutdown issue with the FXR. If I go hard forward to hard reverse all of the electronics shutdown. No automatic restart... I have to unplug the battery and plug it back in to get them back (reboot!), then the truck works fine until it happens again. The shut down issue also happens when the truck is under load (i.e. bound-up in the rocks).

I have disconnected the servos, thinking that there was too much draw on the FXR BEC with the XP servo, but it still happens when going from hard forward to reverse and no servos connected to the rx.

The other wierd thing is that, as I am now returning my DX3.0, I have a basic 2 ch. 27MHz axial radio and rx in the truck until I get back the DX6i... With this set-up, there is lots of glitching (both channels, cheap radio + I live in the city) that will actually cause the FXR to shut down when the truck isn't even moving (much worse than with the DX3.0).It just basically twitches around (drivable) until it dies.

Any ideas on what's going on? Is it possible that just the 45T Tekin motor can trip the internal BEC alone when going hard forward to reverse (i.e. with servos disconnected)?

I have checked the soldering joints and wires... All seems OK. The temp LED's on the FXR never get higer than 2.

Thanks for your help everyone, great board...

Mike
5.2LJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2009, 05:19 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

What size is the battery? If the battery is really small or has a low C rating, it may not take that much amp draw.
RaleighRCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

The DS1015 can pull a lot of power. Running 2 servos on the FXR BEC is most likely the problem.

I would definitely recommend an external BEC like the CCBEC. http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Castle-Cr...r-p-16518.html
TLTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:45 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

cc bec
the kil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:29 PM   #5

The battery is 2000mah (2s lipo).

I agree that the servo(s) could draw enought to kill the BEC in the FXR.

However, even with the servos disconnected from the rx, I can make the FXR die by going hard forward to reverse. What I am trying to figure out is whether this is normal for the FXR?

I can see the need for a CCBEC (with servos), but if the FXR is shorting with no servos connected, is there something else wrong?
Old 10-10-2009, 11:30 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

When the truck shuts down do any of the LED's flash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.2LJeep View Post
The battery is 2000mah (2s lipo).

I agree that the servo(s) could draw enought to kill the BEC in the FXR.

However, even with the servos disconnected from the rx, I can make the FXR die by going hard forward to reverse. What I am trying to figure out is whether this is normal for the FXR?

I can see the need for a CCBEC (with servos), but if the FXR is shorting with no servos connected, is there something else wrong?
Old 10-10-2009, 11:36 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

This losi rx pack???
http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSB9820
Failedabortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:36 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Is it the FXR cutting out, or the reciever cutting out. On my sc10(not a crawler i know) the tekin r1pro would not have enough power and shut down the Rx. CC Bec fixed everything.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:49 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failedabortion View Post
Lets hope not

Quote:
2C Discharge rate
That is a 4A discharge rating!
Old 10-11-2009, 05:20 AM   #10

Good Morning Guys,

Yes that is the lipo pack I have and was told that there were a bunch of guys using them successfully in their crawlers... Is there an issue with it not being able to feed enough current?

When the FXR dies, everything shuts down. No LED's, totally dead. Turning the switch off then on does nothing. I have to unplug/plug the battery in order to bring everything back to life.

Thanks again
Old 10-11-2009, 06:00 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Good Morning Guys,

Yes that is the lipo pack I have and was told that there were a bunch of guys using them successfully in their crawlers... Is there an issue with it not being able to feed enough current?

When the FXR dies, everything shuts down. No LED's, totally dead. Turning the switch off then on does nothing. I have to unplug/plug the battery in order to bring everything back to life.

Thanks again
That should be your problem if the battery only has a 4amp discharge rate .

For a single motor crawler you should run at least 20C if not more. Opinions vary but you will rarely see anything used below the 15C range and I see many people using 35C batteries.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:23 AM   #12

I told the guy at my LHS that I couldn't believe that enough current could be fed through those wires! I need a new LHS :-(.

Will I still need the CCBEC?
Old 10-11-2009, 06:44 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I told the guy at my LHS that I couldn't believe that enough current could be fed through those wires! I need a new LHS :-(.

Will I still need the CCBEC?
Ya...Check here for anything crawlers related before your lhs.

Try it without a bec first, just check the esc temps to make sure it isn't getting close to overheating. I always run a bec on all my stuff so the esc doesn't have to do that extra work.
Failedabortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:55 AM   #14

Agreed, that a$$ also sold me that DX3.0 knowing that I was setting up rear steer and it only has a 2 pos switch for the AUX channel... Irritating...

Thanks again for all your help guys, going over there now to 'deal with this issue'.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:58 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

I'm always for "trying" to use a local hobbyshop, but when the sales person is more worried about making a "sale" than taking care of the customer, it just, well, I can't say the words online... If you decide to buy online, Holmes Hobbies has a good deal on lipos that can handle the load!
Zapped is offline   Reply With Quote