Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: letter to Novak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2005, 07:12 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default letter to Novak

I just sent this out to Novak. We'll see if I hear back from them.

hello Novak,

got a question for you. I've been into electric RC for quite a while now, and have in the past year or so gotten into RC rock crawling. In case you haven't seen or heard of it, it involves specially-built 4x4 trucks going very slowly over, as you might guess, rocks. Rock crawling is a rapidly-growing niche in the hobby. Pro-Line has recently enjoyed much success with its Moab line of crawler tires, proving that the small but dedicated market will buy crawler-specific products. For details on RC rock crawling, visit RCCrawler.com.

Most rock crawlers run 55t lathe motors and don't need a whole lot of motor current. In fact, many of the rigs get well over an hour of runtime on cheap cells. Clodbusters and some Maxx-based rigs run two 55-turn motors, equivalent to a single 27-turn motor. My point is, we don't need a lot of motor current like racers do. The speedo of choice is the discontinued Super Rooster, not for its multi-motor capability, but for its burly BEC rating.

The ideal crawler ESC would have about a 19turn motor limit, and a 6 volt, 5 amp BEC. Many of us run 4-wheel steering, and digital servos pushing 7-inch (or larger) tires draws a lot of current. You can see how this sort of ESC is backwards from a conventional design, giving more current to the BEC than to the motor, but this is what we would need. Many crawlers are building their own voltage regulators or using receiver packs instead of their BEC.

This is not a plea to bring back the SR, although I'm sure it would be well-received. My question is this: Given the rapid growth of crawling, and the void in ESCs that meet our requirements, would Team Novak consider producing a unit that meets our needs? The magnificent Super Duty would do the job, but in the same way that a nuclear warhead would be an effective way to clear squirrels from your yard. It's a bit of overkill, and many don't like the Smart Braking.

Please note that I am not affiliated in any way with RCCrawler.com, i am merely an enthusiast who sees a gaping hole in the marketplace.

Sincerely,

Da Goat
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2005, 07:24 PM   #2
MODERATOR™

Good. And if this magic ESC could be small, and not have Smart Braking, they'd be set.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 07:43 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I think another SR strong point is it's low frequency resolution. I can't wait to hear their response, thanks for the effort.
JakeTheAlligatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 07:46 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I don't think we'll be hearing from them anytime soon.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

tech@teamnovak.com
Old 12-07-2005, 07:58 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Charlie is the guy at Novak you want to contact. His email works fine (unlike all the emails on their site that always bounce back...), and he is quick with replies and very helpfull.

charlie@teamnovak.com
bRIBEGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:47 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I hope they take it to mind.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 11:31 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat
The magnificent Super Duty would do the job, but in the same way that a nuclear warhead would be an effective way to clear squirrels from your yard.
HAHA! Great image floating through my head right now. Ill bet that you get them to laugh, I know I sure did. I agree with you 100% tho, a new esc would be nice.

cheers
harrs
Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:19 AM   #8

Just a idea to add to your dream esc.... since they would obviously want to make a product that would appeal to as many as possible, maybe it would be best to have smart braking but to have the ability to shut it off. That way it would appeal to those who do and don't want that feature. Just my two cents. I for one would shut smart braking off though.

I hope they respond.
crawlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:36 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Waterproof it!
JakeTheAlligatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 05:28 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

just sent it to Charlie. I've dealt with him before on a couple of other issues. He really knows his stuff, so there's hope that he'll get back.

also added this:

Small case size and waterproofing are also desirable qualities that have been mentioned. Long wires (both motor and battery) would also be nice. No need for terminals as we all know how to solder.

Last edited by microgoat; 12-08-2005 at 05:30 AM.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:00 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I would think that they would need to hear this from more then 1 person.they need to see a market for it
SPEED_RACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 06:37 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEED_RACER
I would think that they would need to hear this from more then 1 person.they need to see a market for it
A petition..maybe have those interested post in this thread, and e-mail a link to this thread to Charlie.....

Here's my thumbs-up!!!!!
silvr_tung_devl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 06:48 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Definately a good idea Goat!!

Do you think it would cost less than any other esc?
sean_lv_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 07:18 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
also added this:

Small case size and waterproofing are also desirable qualities that have been mentioned. Long wires (both motor and battery) would also be nice. No need for terminals as we all know how to solder.

Yah I just bought a Novak ESC and voided my warranty soldering it to the motor.......
gotmuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 07:22 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
No need for terminals as we all know how to solder.
Whoa there fella.......I think that is a really bad assumption.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:25 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_lv_crawler
Do you think it would cost less than any other esc?
Sean it's an idea. Wondering want cost at this point is kind of ridiculous. Now if Goat said he was thinking of making his own, then I think it is a good question.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:28 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

are you kidding? i can program an ESC, but no way can i build one from scratch!

although if Novak says no, i might think about it. it'd be about the size of a cinder block and weigh about the same...
Old 12-08-2005, 12:22 PM   #18

Default Goat is right!

I think Microgoat is on to something here. I just copy/pasted his email from above (with the added text about waterproofing and case size) and sent it in myself wth the following foreword:

Hello Novak,

I am a member of the RCCrawler.com web community and found this posted in our forum. I think what is said below echoes what all RCCrawlers are looking for in an ESC, so in the interest of showing how big the potential market is, I have decided to forward the email again. I do not require a response, as your response to the original sender will be posted for all to see in the forum anyway. Thanks for your time.

RallyRoach

There was talk above about showing Novak how large the community is, and this is the best way to do it. How do you think those few people got "Christmas" banned from public signs? To paraphrase an old folk song: One voice, doesn't count for much, 3 voices and you got an organization, 50 voices, you got a movement.

How much time would it take for everyone on RCCrawler to send in the email?
RallyRoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 01:33 PM   #19

Default Charlie says .......

I sent an Email and already got a response, Not sure if it is a "form response" but it is encouraging

< Thanks Jim

He's got a statement from us if he wants to post it there. Stuff is "always" in the works specially new ESC's around here. Just takes us longer then people expect to release things I guess. There's some stuff in the works right now that address the things asked for.

Please let me know if you have any further questions, we are glad to help. Complete Product return, service, and pricing information can be found in the Customer Service Section of our website. Instruction manuals can be found in the Download Section of the website as well. All links are listed below.

Thank you,
Charlie Suangka
Novak Electronics
17032 Armstrong Ave
Irvine CA 92614
www.teamnovak.com
phone 949-833-8873
fax 949-833-1631
charlie@teamnovak.com >
sllimj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 01:39 PM   #20
Adilynsdad too!

Just an idea ,as I truely love novak products, what about sending the info to a "smaller" esc company? Maybe this is not big enough for "larger" companies but, could be the big break a smaller company needs.
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote