RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   All I'm asking for is some brakes (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/209310-all-im-asking-some-brakes.html)

timeout 11-06-2009 06:03 PM

All I'm asking for is some brakes

All I want out of life right now, is a speedo that will hold my crawler on the downhills. I'm not hard to please.
The Sidewinder or 'nobraker' speedo ain't cuttin it.
All I want is a sure one time deal only speedo,that will hold a crawler on down hills.I don't want to download the new stuff castle has for their speedo's.I want a new speedo.
Please tell me The Holmes, is sure thing when talking drag brakes.
If it does its all mine.
I do not see how anyone could possbly compete without good strong drag brakes.It takes all the fun out of crawling ,to me anyway.

dirttrackdemon93 11-06-2009 06:08 PM

Honestly I run ALOT of Sidewinder esc's in my stuff and I just downloded the new update last week. All I can say is I am very happy with the drag brake settings now!!"thumbsup""thumbsup""thumbsup""thumbsup"

awd199 11-06-2009 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirttrackdemon93 (Post 2088630)
Honestly I run ALOT of Sidewinder esc's in my stuff and I just downloded the new update last week. All I can say is I am very happy with the drag brake settings now!!"thumbsup""thumbsup""thumbsup""thumbsup"

Me too also. The download even made a big difference on my berg running cheap Integy 45t motors.

Kamikaze 11-06-2009 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timeout (Post 2088621)
All I want out of life right now, is a speedo that will hold my crawler on the downhills. I'm not hard to please.
The Sidewinder or 'nobraker' speedo ain't cuttin it.
All I want is a sure one time deal only speedo,that will hold a crawler on down hills.I don't want to download the new stuff castle has for their speedo's.I want a new speedo.
Please tell me The Holmes, is sure thing when talking drag brakes.
If it does its all mine.
I do not see how anyone could possbly compete without good strong drag brakes.It takes all the fun out of crawling ,to me anyway.

What motor are you running? That has just as much to do with it as the esc. Also what truck and gearing?

CreepyCrawl 11-06-2009 07:12 PM

The Holmes TM-BR will be programable with the updated Castle firmware and from what I hear, the drag has been significantly improved. Add to that the specific features and crazy limits that John put into it, and you've got a bad ass speedo.

From a personal use standpoint, the Tekin FX-R has insane drag hold and great adjustability with the latest Hot Wire firmware.

Some drivers have had issues with the Tekin, but the one I have in my Eclipse has been solid since day one.

oldhippie 11-07-2009 05:45 AM

The fxr has a great drag brake, but I'd sure try the sidewinder download before getting a new esc. A better motor may also help. I hated my sidewinder drag until I put puller on my rig.:mrgreen:

joesbruiser 11-07-2009 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamikaze (Post 2088671)
What motor are you running? That has just as much to do with it as the esc. Also what truck and gearing?

I am with Jeff.
The motor has just as much to do with it as the ESC.
My wifes Berg with cheap lathe motors and a sidewinder does not hold that well but the new Castle download helped.
My rig with Holmes handwounds and a Sidewinder will stop on a dime.

monkeyracer 11-07-2009 07:25 AM

I had a similar problem with stock 55t axial motors, the sidewinder wouldn't stop it from rolling down the hill because the motor was the problem.

Now even with a cheapo 45T integy, it holds a lot better with the new software. To the point that I no longer wish to get a new ESC.

Try the update, and look at getting a better motor, or maybe just new springs for the motor.

deephis46 11-07-2009 08:41 AM

Now new castlelink 3.19 has drag brake at 128% for sidewinder"thumbsup"

I'm just using at 50% though and it's enough for me.
Maybe I give a try at 128% tomorrow.
hopefully it doesn't flip when i let off my throttle lol

The Violator 11-07-2009 08:46 AM

FXR

Done deal. If you want it to hold on a hill there is only one

FXR

If you want one that even at 128% does not hold as well as the fxr at 40% then try something else. Otherwise

FXR

Kamikaze 11-07-2009 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trucknuts (Post 2089424)
FXR

Done deal. If you want it to hold on a hill there is only one

FXR

If you want one that even at 128% does not hold as well as the fxr at 40% then try something else. Otherwise

FXR

FXR

If you want to let out the magic smoke!:mrgreen:

xirtic 11-07-2009 09:31 AM

The Sidewinder v3.19 upgrade seems to be the ticket that so many of us have been waiting for. I have been testing on the incline board here and really like the improvement that the 128% drag brake is providing. NEXT weekend I have a local comp, and will put it to the test on the rocks. That all being said, the Sidewinders have been SOLID performers in my rigs, and have had no real issues. They just perform, and do not have the "magic smoke" issues. I just had a pal PM & Call me last night regarding his FXR issues (burned up)....I will keep my Sidewinders that Castle just keeps on supporting/improving.

EDIT: IF I had to buy a new ESC today, it would be the Holmes ESC. From the COST perspective, the Holmes at <$100 is so close in price to a Sidewinder ($70) and BEC ($20) that the added benfits of the Holmes ESC makes up the $10 difference EASILY. (Castle Link Compatability, High Amperage, 6cell support, Internal STRONG BEC).

ROSS 11-07-2009 09:49 AM

go to Holmes Hobbies

buy the BR-XL(currently out of stock but will be avalible shortly) and a new torque master motor!!!!!

you wont be disappointed

chrisjlittle 11-07-2009 12:59 PM

If all you want is a strong drag brake, get a brushless outrunner motor and hook it up to your sidewinder. The drag brake on those things is very, very strong and they sound like R2-D2 with a cold! Or get a rooster crawler and enjoy the smooth start up (about the same as the outrunner)

Or you could just install the new software on the sidewinder. All a really strong drag brake is gonna do is to make your truck flip over when you try to stop going down a hill.

EvilTwin v2 11-07-2009 01:18 PM

If you get a good motor, the drag brake will come...even with the old software on the Sidewinder. When I still ran an Axial, I went from barely being able to hold on a hill with a 45t lathe to having to be easy when releasing the throttle with a HH crawlmaster brushless, to just about flipping over frontward on level ground with a 10t Cobalt Puller motor.

Now I run dual FXR's (due to the small size) on Tekin Handwound 35t motors, and it never lets go on drag.

Reflection 11-07-2009 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisjlittle (Post 2089694)
All a really strong drag brake is gonna do is to make your truck flip over when you try to stop going down a hill.

Riiiiight."thumbsup"

I never understood the need in having a brake that locks the tires down. Watch the lines and prepare for them. Also,front dig can be used for things besides turning around.:lol: Front dig going down hill works amazingly well for a brake.

Cheap lathe motors will have a considerably weaker brake than GOOD handwounds.

The new Holmes ESC is great. A Castle ESC with the newest update will be great as well.

I really don't see what all the fuss is about though,The Mamba Max I run in my Berg hasn't been updated in 2 years and the brakes work just fine.

EvilTwin v2 11-07-2009 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reflection (Post 2089714)
Riiiiight."thumbsup"

I never understood the need in having a brake that locks the tires down. Watch the lines and prepare for them. Also,front dig can be used for things besides turning around.:lol: Front dig going down hill works amazingly well for a brake.

Cheap lathe motors will have a considerably weaker brake than GOOD handwounds.

The new Holmes ESC is great. A Castle ESC with the newest update will be great as well.

I really don't see what all the fuss is about though,The Mamba Max I run in my Berg hasn't been updated in 2 years and the brakes work just fine.

I disagree about brakes. I want them to lock it down when I let off the stick. Nothing sucks more than going up a hill, letting off, and it drifts back 1/2" due to poor drag brake & getting a reverse penalty for it.

I also really dislike using dig for going down hill. It's just personal preference, but a good drag brake & 4wd works better (for me) than trying to pull the rear down hill in dig.

Reflection 11-07-2009 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilTwin v2 (Post 2089922)
I disagree about brakes. I want them to lock it down when I let off the stick. Nothing sucks more than going up a hill, letting off, and it drifts back 1/2" due to poor drag brake & getting a reverse penalty for it.

I also really dislike using dig for going down hill. It's just personal preference, but a good drag brake & 4wd works better (for me) than trying to pull the rear down hill in dig.

It is personal preference."thumbsup"

Going up hill,instead of letting off,learn to feather the throttle. Feathering the throttle can help in more ways than just going up hill as well.

Using front dig going down hill will help in 2 ways. The rear tires are slowing you down for one. Also,like any other time you use dig,it pulls the truck lower to the ground. Being lower to the ground going down hill,your less likely to flip."thumbsup"

Not arguing,just a few reasons why I feel a lighter brake can be very effective in many ways.

timeout 11-08-2009 08:27 PM

ok ok ok, so my ass was working in conjunction with my brain, the day I started this thread.:?:mrgreen:
I found a 19T motor I had from my old pancar racing days with really strong magnets in it.I cut the com, soldered up some soft compound brushes,and installed some purple springs, and put the 55T arm in the 19t can.
The Sidewinder now has drag brakes.What a difference.When I download the new stuff into it,I think I will be all grins n giggles:arrow::mrgreen:...

Sorry Castle for ranting ...Your products are worth every penny...
My next purchase will prolly be the, Holmes 55T handwound,as soon as I can pry my foot out of my mouth..

jimmy.p.

'just living and learning'

chrisjlittle 11-09-2009 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timeout (Post 2091855)
ok ok ok, so my ass was working in conjunction with my brain, the day I started this thread.:?:mrgreen:
I found a 19T motor I had from my old pancar racing days with really strong magnets in it.I cut the com, soldered up some soft compound brushes,and installed some purple springs, and put the 55T arm in the 19t can.
The Sidewinder now has drag brakes.What a difference.When I download the new stuff into it,I think I will be all grins n giggles:arrow::mrgreen:...

Sorry Castle for ranting ...Your products are worth every penny...
My next purchase will prolly be the, Holmes 55T handwound,as soon as I can pry my foot out of my mouth..

jimmy.p.

'just living and learning'

Good to hear there are still "build it" newbs around. The tinkering/building aspect of crawling is the best part"thumbsup"

As for the drag brake, it's a toss up. I've had weak brakes, strong brakes and it all really comes down to finding a spot that works for you and getting used to it. If you have strong brakes you have to adjust your driving style and let off the throttle easy to prevent rollovers, if you have weak brakes you need to feather the throttle to compensate. Not switching back and forth is the best advise I can give.