Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Can I run a motor "backwards?"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2009, 01:43 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Can I run a motor "backwards?"

I want my TLT based crawler/basher to run in the opposite direction it was designed to run. I will be using either a stock motor or maybe a modified 17-20 turn with a Novak XRS esc. Will the ESC, battery, or motor be damaged if I hook up the wires opposite of the way they should be? Could I just reverse the throttle servo switch on the controller? Do they sell reverse rotation motors? Thanks
tpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2009, 08:41 AM   #2
RCC Addict

By switching the two wires on the motor, it is the same thing as flipping the throttle switch on the controller.
InFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:47 AM   #3
RCC Addict

If the motor has advanced timing, which nearly all do, running it backwards without re-timing it will result in a hot motor with poor performance. But it will work.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:34 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

do you know how to check the timing on your motor,,if you use a motor set up for crawling then it should be set to zero timing,,equal power forward or reverse,,the other thing you can do is unbolt your axles and links from the chassis and turn the whole chassis around the opposite direction,,or unbolt your tranny/motor and flip it around if you dont want to get into the internals of a motor
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:04 AM   #5
Suck it up!

If the motor has a removable end bell, loosen the two screws and turn it exactly 180*. It'll run the opposite direction.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:18 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Traxxas sells their 550 Titan motors from the E Maxx. One is forward and one is reverse rotation. If you can wait until tomorrow I can get part numbers.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:24 AM   #7
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
Traxxas sells their 550 Titan motors from the E Maxx. One is forward and one is reverse rotation. If you can wait until tomorrow I can get part numbers.

Thats the answer...buy stuff instead of taking 2 minutes to do it yourself.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:39 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Go work in a hobby shop for a week and then you'll realize that this is an answer for a LOT of people. Remember, crawlers are a very tiny segment of the hobby, let alone the comp crawler guys. Most people that walk into a store want it to be ready for them. Why do you think RTR kit's are so popular?
Old 12-13-2009, 10:47 AM   #9
Suck it up!

Quote:
Go work in a hobby shop for a week and then you'll realize that this is an answer for a LOT of people. Remember, crawlers are a very tiny segment of the hobby, let alone the comp crawler guys. Most people that walk into a store want it to be ready for them. Why do you think RTR kit's are so popular?
I don't need to work at a hobby shop, I just need to spend about 10 minutes looking around here for people that don't care to spend the time to learn anything other than where to buy something to hopefully fix thier problem.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for supporting our vendors and LHS's, but people just need to step away from the credit card and dust off thier brain once in a while.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:56 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

But again, some people just want plug and play. I'd rather see someone supporting our manufacturers by buying a new part when they want something different. When, in way to many cases, the same person would actually have to custom work something he'd rather just pack up and quit the hobby? Racers are the same way. They want something to make them go faster so they go out and buy it rather than work on their driving. Hello technological evolution and funding for it.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:04 AM   #11
Suck it up!

Quote:
But again, some people just want plug and play. I'd rather see someone supporting our manufacturers by buying a new part when they want something different. When, in way to many cases, the same person would actually have to custom work something he'd rather just pack up and quit the hobby? Racers are the same way. They want something to make them go faster so they go out and buy it rather than work on their driving. Hello technological evolution and funding for it.
Very true, but where does all of our great technology come from? It doesn't appear in mid-air. The people that spend the time to figure out what's going on are those that could potentially go on to create something that benefits us all. Look at Bender, JRH, and Kamakazi just to name a few. What if they just said "fawk it, I'm just going to use what I can buy".

This hobby would be in a very sad state if everybody bought rtr's and no one thought for themselves. Crawling wouldn't even exist as it does today if not for those that created that "different" part for themselves.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 12-13-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:16 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Exactly my point. There always those willing to try, but there are a lot more willing to do what's available. I never said everyone, I just said most people.

Now, the guy who posted up asking a question has options? What's wrong with options?
Old 12-13-2009, 11:17 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Built > Bought

There goes my 666 post count. :-(
InFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:21 AM   #14
Suck it up!

Quote:
Now, the guy who posted up asking a question has options? What's wrong with options?
Nothing at all.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:37 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Nothing at all.

some guys have a mechanic and some guys have tools.

me,,my relentless search for "WHY" started when I began taking every toy my parents bought me apart to see how it worked and most times I didnt wait til it broke.

when my first 1:1 car wouldnt run right my dad said to take it to a mechanic,,I took the motor apart and found the issues and fixed them for around the cost of a gasket kit....then I found I couldnt keep tires on the rear end...

Id rather throw some tools at a problem and see if I can come up with a sloution before I throw money at it,,,,most times I take care of it. I could have bought new 45t's for my comp rig,,instead I rewound the 55t's i had to be 45t's.

Back on topic,,I didnt even think about just turning the endbell,,,good call.

another option as it were,,just zero time the motor with a meter and reverse the wiring,,but if you are gonna crack the end bell open ,,then flip the end bell,,,,done

Last edited by rmdesignworks; 12-13-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:44 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Lot's of good answers, thanks. I'll mess around with it and try some of these things; turning the endbell sounds like a good fix. I'm tired of spending money on this thing but I would be interested in the part # for the reverse rotation Traxxas motor for future reference.
tpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:29 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpat View Post
Lot's of good answers, thanks. I'll mess around with it and try some of these things; turning the endbell sounds like a good fix. I'm tired of spending money on this thing but I would be interested in the part # for the reverse rotation Traxxas motor for future reference.
but the whole point is,,if the motor you buy has a removable end bell then you can but any motor you want,,but i would stay with a crawler oriented motor