Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Zapping Lipos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2009, 08:51 PM   #1

Default Zapping Lipos

I forgot to change the LVC on my ESC and ran my 3 cell lipo down too far. I've heard you can "zap" lipos to bring them back. Has anyone heard about this or am I screwed?
specv510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2009, 10:01 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I've read where some people set their charger to the Nimh setting and charge it that way to bring the voltage back up then switching to the lipo setting with balance lead to finish it off. Recently, I had a 3s that was sitting a while and when I hooked it up, 1 cell read low, like less than 2 volts low. I simply charged it as normal on my TritonEQ charger and it brought it back up. Took 3 trys but it came up. Not sure how long it will last though.
Sydwaiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:06 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by specv510 View Post
I forgot to change the LVC on my ESC and ran my 3 cell lipo down too far. I've heard you can "zap" lipos to bring them back. Has anyone heard about this or am I screwed?

Think of it this way.

"I spilled a gallon of gasoline all over my living room. I smoke outside, but sometimes I use my lighter inside. How do I clean this mess up without igniting the gasoline?"

I'm not lipo paranoid, but if you do something wrong, it's only a matter of time.

Charging a lipo with the "constant-current" the NiMh's charge on is a NO - NO. CC-CV is how lipo's are charged. Constant-current - constant voltage, the amperage is ramped down during the initial charge, and during the end of balancing to keep the CONSTANT VOLTAGE. You will overvolt it and do more damage by trying to charge it with a NiMh charge cycle. Lipo's pull more amps, charging or discharging.

A 30-50 dollar lipo pack is not worth burning my house/garage/shop down in my eye's. Live and learn, you screwed up. Screwing up cost money.
kmnss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:09 AM   #4
Keep it real

Only do it for about 10-20 seconds if you do the Nihm setting. Is the pack puffed/swelled at all?

I don't recommend this...
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:11 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Tanis is the man!
Ripperfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:12 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I've "zapped" a couple of LiPos - no problems, and they are still working fine.

Use the NiMH setting on your charger. Set the charge current to around half an amp, and only charge for about 30 seconds at a time.

Probably a good idea to do this outside.
clockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:18 AM   #7
RCC Addict

The freezer has done some "walk out Lazarus" on occasional lipos, but I never said that!
In any case you will probably have only one bad cell, so better get rid of it and keep it a s a 2S.
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:25 AM   #8

Thanks guys. I will charge it outside and monitor it the whole time. It was only a $15 pack, but what can i say-I'm cheap!
specv510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:28 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
Only do it for about 10-20 seconds if you do the Nihm setting. Is the pack puffed/swelled at all?

I don't recommend this...

X2. I had to that becouse my Lipo charger wouldnt charge my 3s when it got below the minimum voltage. I put it on the Nicd charger for a few seconds. then checked it with my voltage meter. It was still low. Back on the Nicd charger for a few more seconds and it was good to go to put on the lipo charger.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:41 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I have had luck bumping lipo's by connecting the "bad" one to a "good" one of the exact same type with a parralel deans adapter. I did feel a slight warming of the wire while I did this but nothing to be concered about, did it twice for about 30 sec or less an all is good now.
Ax-hole is offline   Reply With Quote