Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: ~hs7980=glitching..BAD!~

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 04:07 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default ~hs7980=glitching..BAD!~

just installed a hs7980 on my 2.2 comp rig...now I got some major gliching..it ran fine for 1 pack then half way through the 2nd pack it started twicthing and gliching pretty bad then it would shut down and not steer at all...I thought maybe it was getting hot, but after checking the servo it was barely even warm
system specs...
4pk
Brxl esc x2
CC BEC@7.4v
hs7980
the servo is powered stright(hardwired) off the BEC
the only other thing I have changed was I stuffed the RX antena inside the futaba rx case...maybe it's got some weird interference??

thoughts???
53 willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
Hateraide

sounds possible maybe move it farther away if not did u change any settings on your remote how are the remote batteries things like that?
Code454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
Got Worms?

Mine was having similiar problems, and it was a bad amplifier, check it on another car, if it still does it send it into hitec they have warrantied my 7955 twice both from burnt amplifiers, my warranty is up so i'm going to be buying a new 600+oz servo here soon once the 55 burns up again, lol
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:18 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code454 View Post
sounds possible maybe move it farther away if not did u change any settings on your remote how are the remote batteries things like that?
the RX has been in the same place all season and it's far as can be from the servo itself...only new thing was I stuffed the antnea all the way in the RX case.
4pk just came off a fresh overnight charge 4pk volts @6.8v

I did have the rig apart for some rebuilding....maybe I got some setting's in the tx screwed up some how?? I know I did have the esc's in the wrong channels at first....then when I relized I did not have rear dig I swapped them back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Mine was having similiar problems, and it was a bad amplifier, check it on another car, if it still does it send it into hitec they have warrantied my 7955 twice both from burnt amplifiers, my warranty is up so i'm going to be buying a new 600+oz servo here soon once the 55 burns up again, lol
hope your hs7980 600+oz servo does not get you the same glitching and twiching as mine...lol
Old 09-12-2010, 07:00 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I used mine for the first time today and it was GREAT, however I'm running my BEC at 6 volts.

Now a question, do you need to program the servo to use it at 7.4 volts, and did you program yours?

Maybe running the BEC at 7 and not programming the servo causes the glitching?
sledge57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53 willys View Post
hope your hs7980 600+oz servo does not get you the same glitching and twiching as mine...lol
I will proabably burn up one too, i beat on my crawler so much, I have all the hd stufff in my front end on my losi, chromoly worms, chromoly pins, v3 cvds, etc and i still break the something in the front end, i've stripped pinion gears and burnt up motors, and broke pins, stripped worms, broke teeth off the spool, and well i probably should stop being so tuff on a losi front end but that takes away the fun, i've been debating hopping up a few cells from my 3 cell, possibly a 4s or a 6s. lol

But yea hitec should warranty it, they have mine twice and it was having similiar problems just one day it started jittering/glitching really bad (day of the comp), i made it through a whole comp with it though
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:53 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge57 View Post
I used mine for the first time today and it was GREAT, however I'm running my BEC at 6 volts.

Now a question, do you need to program the servo to use it at 7.4 volts, and did you program yours?

Maybe running the BEC at 7 and not programming the servo causes the glitching?
yeah I agree the power of this servo is something else....

pretty sure you dont need to program the servo it's self...? I have never programmed my other hitec servo's for higher voltage..?
Old 09-12-2010, 09:37 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53 willys View Post
yeah I agree the power of this servo is something else....

pretty sure you dont need to program the servo it's self...? I have never programmed my other hitec servo's for higher voltage..?
You are correct, I just looked at the manual, I was thinking of overload protection.....

Guess I can't help ya...
Old 09-13-2010, 10:39 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Default Updated with a bit of tech....

so I made some calls...hitec and castle..
hitec was telling me the 7980 is a AMP HOG!! they are suspecting that with my 4s lipos and cc bec that i'm simply just not giving the servo enough amps to run properly..they highly suggested that I run a straight 2s lipo for the servo only..being a crawler and already tight on space I did not really see this happening.
so I called CC to ask them what kinda amps the smaller bec would put out on 4s lipos...it's only about 6 amps on a 4s lipo NOT even close to the 10 amps that hitec suggests..
I inquired about the CC bec PRO..and they said it would work fine...but they suggested that I just run a servo extension and solder the extension on my lipos...since I run 2x 2s lipos CC says I could run the servo off one side of the lipo and should be golden...AND it will be much cheaper and cleaner then having a BEC

so I'm off to the LHS to get a few servo extensions so I can power my 7980 on a full 2s
I will keep this thread updated as I find out if this works or not..
Old 09-13-2010, 10:50 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

sounds like the battery direct is the way to go if you're only running
2s packs. how come you're running 2 2s packs? to achieve 4s voltage or what?
yjdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:51 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjdavid View Post
sounds like the battery direct is the way to go if you're only running
2s packs. how come you're running 2 2s packs? to achieve 4s voltage or what?
yeah I could not find any small 4s packs so I'm running 2x 2s with a series jumper...
Old 09-13-2010, 10:59 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

to add a bit...
the reason I'm thinking most guys have not seen the same issues is that with 3s lipos(less volts) you can get more amp's out of the cc bec..the higher the volts through the bec...the lower the amps..
Old 09-13-2010, 03:08 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Another reason to run it with the BEC set to 6v, less power needed, hell it's still got 500 oz @ 6v
Old 09-13-2010, 04:11 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge57 View Post
Another reason to run it with the BEC set to 6v, less power needed, hell it's still got 500 oz @ 6v
no...another reason to upgrade your junk so you can take full advatage of your 611oz of TQ
Old 09-15-2010, 08:23 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Well I hard wired a 2s lipo to the 7980...still glitching like a mofo...
Hitec is gonna send me a new one/replacement..