Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: NiMh batteries???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 01:33 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default NiMh batteries???

I've seen lots of guys using 2/3a batteries on their rigs. These batteries are used as receiver batteries on nitro cars...do they have the amps to power up 540 motors?

If these are good enough then using AAs would be even better since AA can put out more amps than 2/3a.
vti-chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2010, 01:56 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

hell yeah, every one ran the 2/3 packs a while back.
I still run my split 7cell Elite been thinking about sacking up to an 8cell!
It might be asking a bit much for a puller or gnarly brushless 540, but has worked great for me with 35 and 55 turn motors.
I like how they package though.
BigRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:14 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

The Elite 1500 cells are great, not quite the punch of lipos, but I run an 8 cell split pack on the front axle of my axial with a 45t warrior R, and it has plenty of snot.
The AA cells would offer more mah, but the size would not be suitable for front axle mounting.
chevellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by vti-chris View Post

If these are good enough then using AAs would be even better since AA can put out more amps than 2/3a.
Incorrect. Much higher internal resistance in the AA.

I've got about 36 Energizer 2500s (seriously), half of which are toast from using them as a main pack back in like, 2005. Powered my TLT with a 55 turn motor pretty nicely, and for a long time. But eventually, one would pop.

Similar story with the Elite 1500s. Great, but fragile and you'll lose a cell without an apparent reason.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #5
jwo
Rock Crawler

i've run 2/3a cells for quite a while to keep the wieght down.not as big and bulky as sub c's or c's. i like em, but i recently made the switch to lipo. when i ran mine i used 6 cell hump packs.not alot of power, but got a good 40 min run on them.i used some 1400mah's high discharges powering a 35t motor and cc bec and 2 high torque servos.
i also have used rechargeable 2500's and 2650's aa's for power. they do work well, but like EeePee said they will eventually explode, or start leaking. i've gone through tons of em over the years
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:25 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

a friend of mine was running 2/3a cells, didnt work so great. i was running a 35t, 14 tooth pinion and he has a 50t, 12 tooth pinion, im on 6 cell sub c, him on 7 cell, and i had far more torque. he had good cells, the 2/3a just arent designed to deliver the amps needed for torque. they will get you around, but not very well imo.

AA batteries are designed for less amp draw, things like running remotes and other electronics. they have the capacity, but too much resistance.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:04 PM   #7
jwo
Rock Crawler

the 2/3a just arent designed to deliver the amps needed for torque. they will get you around

its just because they don't have the amount of capacity like the higher mah batteries.it probably depends on what you running for electronics too. but like i said they worked fine for me. but most that use these are running atleast 7 cell and up.the only thing i didnt care for was the run time. it sucks when you go crawling with your buddies for the day and you run out of packs and their still running strong on theirs. i did notice that my rig i ran them in. when they were out of juice and i plugged in a small sub c 2400 in it, it had more punch. theres pros and cons. little less power, less run time but also alot less wieght to carry,cheaper price tag and uses less space. my rig went more places with lighter batteres and felt alot more stable with the 2/3a cells verse heavier bigger ones. plus the 2/3 a cells can lower the cog more depending on where they are mounted.i dont regret using them. lipo these days is the best way to go. its all in the setupin the end you just gotta decide what will work best for you.
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote