Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Rx batteries to power a crawler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 01:54 AM   #1

Default Rx batteries to power a crawler?

Hey all,

I have done a search in this forum for some answers, and have not turned up anything that I consider 'conclusive' and was hoping you bright people could set me straight....

I saw the LRP 5000Mah batteries that are designated Rx batteries, and specifically, they look designed for the HPI Baja's..

Given that they are Rx only use, I would assume they are not up to the task of powering a crawler..or are they? Nowehere on the LRP site, or in their literature is there any mention of their discharge rate..so I assume this would be the bugbear? Even if they are only 10 or 15C, at 5000mah that would mean a discharge rate of 50 to 75A by normal reckoning. I suppose normal reckoning may not come into effect in this case.

I saw these in my LHS by chance and thought they would be ideal tomount over the front axles based on their size, and 5000mah would give me mega crawl time...this is purely for a basher, no comping. I am using the HW 32T motor and ESC combo that has a burst of 190A but a nominal of 35A....and this system does not even tax my current battery which is a TP 25C 2200mah ...all 7.4V systems.

I have noted that normally Rx Lipo's have thin guage wires and JST plugs which are totally unsuitable for this sort of application, but this particular model has both the thin guage servo wires, the balance tap and a set of heavier guage wires with a Tamiya connector factory-fitted...

http://www.lrp.cc/en/products/vtec-b...0-74v/details/

The link above is the unit ...

I have done some googling as well and cannot get any info....would love to hear others opinions here...

Regards
Andy
Thump Wallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2010, 10:52 PM   #2

Whoa, not one opinion.... I must have stumbled across a winner here. I still dont know if I should stump up the cash or not to try this out.....I guess somebody ought to huh?:-P
Old 01-12-2010, 12:21 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

It really depends on the C rating (like you said). But one thing about receiver batteries that you have to think about is the wire. A receiver does not pull that much so the wires are usually too small to supply a crawler.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:49 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

ive seen receiver batteries rated at 1c or 2c, so thats 5-10 amps. receiver packs are generally a low current draw, and the cells can be similar to whats in a cell phone. myself, i wouldnt use them, too risky.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:22 AM   #5

Thanks for the reply guys. Appreciated.

I guess the C rating is the secret. As mentioned earlier, the wires are not the typical thin wires you get on receiver packs..they are the same thickness as on most std esc's, and they have a Tamiya connector on the end.....so from that perspective, they seem like they would handle a bit more of a load than 5-10 amps....mmmm. Soooo tempted to try a pack out and see what happens....whats the worst...? they burst into flames? ...lol
Old 01-12-2010, 02:47 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thump Wallop View Post
Thanks for the reply guys. Appreciated.

I guess the C rating is the secret. As mentioned earlier, the wires are not the typical thin wires you get on receiver packs..they are the same thickness as on most std esc's, and they have a Tamiya connector on the end.....so from that perspective, they seem like they would handle a bit more of a load than 5-10 amps....mmmm. Soooo tempted to try a pack out and see what happens....whats the worst...? they burst into flames? ...lol

Sorry, I was half asleep. I see what your talking about on the wires now. I wonder why they are selling them as RX only?
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcrawler View Post
Sorry, I was half asleep. I see what your talking about on the wires now. I wonder why they are selling them as RX only?
iI am not sure, and I have seen one in the flesh so it's definately not a 'generic' pic......I am soooo tempted to go pick one up, they are pricey here in the Middle East, but then so is everything RC....works out at about US$150 for the pack....
Old 01-12-2010, 09:34 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

PDXFNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:21 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I found this shop that carries that pack for $114.00 US and they ship world wide, but with shipping it may equate to the same price you'd pay localy...

http://www.the-border.com/product.php?productid=32019

Pricey, but it's LRP and a high mAH so I'm not surprised. I did a little searching on LRP's site and it appears that all of the other Lipo packs that they offer and show specs for are rated at 25c, so the 5000 (part #79935) may have the same discharge rating.

LRP seems to uphold fairly tight quality specs within their line, so I can't imagine that they'd be using different cells just for that one pack, but it's difficult to say for sure without contacting them directly.
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:46 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

My guess on the Tamiya connector, is that's it's just a pre-wired connector, so they just use whatever size wire comes with it. I would not use it as a judge on a C rating.

The words "Rx only" would make me not want to run it.....
y2kgtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:07 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Damn if it wasn't so pricey I would def try one. Is there a way to tell what the c rating is using like a voltometer or something? Sorry I'm not to much in the know about lipos, I just know enough to charge and run them. I'm curious I am going to call LRP/Associated, and report back.
456heinbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:24 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

What about this for 35$ shipped?

http://www.hobbypartz.com/83p-5000ma...4-25c-car.html
Old 01-13-2010, 09:15 AM   #13

Heinbach.....be sure to let us know your findings :-)

Y2kgtp....the reason I am looking at the LRP is simply because of the compact size. The normal sized stick packs would not fit on the forn axle, and because the Junfac Joker has that lovely servo/battery tray, it would be a shame to have to waste it....purpose designed and all....thanks all for the input....
Old 01-13-2010, 09:26 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thump Wallop View Post
Heinbach.....be sure to let us know your findings :-)

Y2kgtp....the reason I am looking at the LRP is simply because of the compact size. The normal sized stick packs would not fit on the forn axle, and because the Junfac Joker has that lovely servo/battery tray, it would be a shame to have to waste it....purpose designed and all....thanks all for the input....
Yeah, the size looks good, but I bet it is smaller as a really low C rating. If your ESC\Motor can handle it, perhaps you should look into 3S (11.1v) Lipos. You will get alot more runtime for Mah ratings due to the higher efficiency of running more voltage. This is why guys are reporting around an hour of runtime on a 1300Mah 3S battery. And you can get these from Hobbyking or hobbypartz for under 10$ a battery. get 3-4 batteries, and you should be good for several hours out playing.

Personally I just bought 4 of these to try out. I also have 3 of the 15C ones I bought for a heli, and thought they might make a good crawler battery.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/83p-1300mah-3s1p-111-20c.html

Last edited by y2kgtp; 01-13-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:37 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

hi

not wanting to hijack the thread, but it's nearly the same question i have.

found those on ebay, and they are really cheap, so i thought to give them a try with my 45t in my ax10.

http://cgi.ebay.de/3x-7-4V-900mAh-20...item3efb670713

15c with 0.9ah would lead to 14a maximum. i don't know how much current a 45t pulls in a crawler. it never got even hand warm with my standard 3200mah 2s lipo.

what do you think?
izeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:01 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I'm guessing your 2S Lipo has a higher amp rating than these 900mah ones.

If they were both marked 15C, your comparing 48A (3200,ah 2S) vs 14A (900 2S) constant current.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:11 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kgtp View Post
I'm guessing your 2S Lipo has a higher amp rating than these 900mah ones.

If they were both marked 15C, your comparing 48A (3200,ah 2S) vs 14A (900 2S) constant current.
thank you. sure. but this doesn't answer my question i know that my big lipo is "stronger" (25C and 3200mah) = 80a. so this can deliver much more power than the small one (14a)

maybe i should ask the question more precisely: how little current is enough for 45t and some crawling time?

Last edited by izeman; 01-13-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:57 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

i now ordered a 2s lipo pack 80grams with 1300mah and 20/30c. that should work w/o problems for crawling i guess.

1000mah with 15c (and probably 10c constant) was a bit to low for taking the risk.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:01 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I have some 3S 15C 1300Mah packs from hobbypartz for 10$ that seem to do ok so far. On a 27T, they lift the front tire 4" on hard acceleration Had to turn down the EPA so the kid does not go off course with that!

(Just using 27T as I had them laying around)
Old 01-14-2010, 10:00 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

i would order @hobbypartz as well, but p&p to europe is 200% of the lipo's price.