RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Cutting a motor commutator & motor tweaks (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/223989-cutting-motor-commutator-motor-tweaks.html)

Rockcrawler 03-03-2010 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEDROCKZ (Post 2335677)
Just done one of these tricks, The 5v leg runs the lathes just right. Plus I hate charging batteries to run a lathe.
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/163458-modding-pc-power-supply-into-12-volt-supply-your-dc-charger.html

Make me one toooo. :mrgreen:

TEDROCKZ 03-03-2010 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockcrawler (Post 2335683)
Make me one toooo. :mrgreen:

Jack a PC and send it to me. Kinda fun project, got about 6 bucks in it, plus an unused/old pc.. It has a 3v leg I'm gonna try for break-in usage.

Rockcrawler 03-03-2010 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEDROCKZ (Post 2335698)
Jack a PC and send it to me. Kinda fun project, got about 6 bucks in it, plus an unused/old pc.. It has a 3v leg I'm gonna try for break-in usage.

I will see what I can find on flea bay and have it shipped to you....might be a week or two. "thumbsup"

EeePee 03-10-2010 02:28 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Brand spanking new Integy 45 turn motor.

The motor isn't too out of round really. I was glad and bummed at the same time.

I still have to wonder if my cutter is at an angle. Digital calipers said no.

First shot of the brush is a little off, but look at how much of the comm is hitting the brush. This is how it came, hardly anything, just that little bit at the top. Break in is always a good idea before you put these things in your car. I mean truck. Good news is that they look pretty good in regards to alignment left and right.

I got another one of these motors to cut, let's see if there's anything different.

8)

Rockcrawler 03-10-2010 02:38 PM

Is there going to be anything left? :mrgreen:

TEDROCKZ 03-10-2010 02:42 PM

More Fun^:mrgreen:

I'm out of motors to turn. Even pulled motors out of my old nitro starter box.:cry:. Bought some lathes from E-bay, other forums and have no more guinea pigs.
EP how many shims is under the blade on that Cobra?

Duuuuuuuude 03-10-2010 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockcrawler (Post 2349286)
Is there going to be anything left? :mrgreen:

lol...Thats probably the truest Integy comm I've ever seen. They must have had a screwup at the factory. :lol:

EeePee 03-10-2010 02:45 PM

Like I said, that one really wasn't all that bad. That was 12 passes, the pictures were more or less every other pass. I barely scrape off a layer in attempt to prolong the life of the tip, as I know not of its prior usage or its current condition. The buddy I'm borrowing it from did just find his cutter oil, so that'll help. Really thick stuff that collects particles, you see it on the tip in the pictures.

I can use the dial numbers to see where I start and end on the next one.

EeePee 03-10-2010 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEDROCKZ (Post 2349292)
EP how many shims is under the blade on that Cobra?

Show ya in a minute. Killed the camera batteries, gotta give em a few milliamps real quick. :mrgreen:

To get more motors tell your dudes you'll cut theirs. First one's free. :mrgreen:

TEDROCKZ 03-10-2010 03:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by EeePee (Post 2349305)
Show ya in a minute. Killed the camera batteries, gotta give em a few milliamps real quick. :mrgreen:

To get more motors tell your dudes you'll cut theirs. First one's free. :mrgreen:

Been trying, no one local, gets into shipping back and forth.

So far I've gathered an Integy(worn out), Team Cobra like yours($47 NIP @e-bay) twister, and picked a Hudy today should have it next week.

But my favorite so far is the Team Orion Quickset. No shims to fiddle with on the arm.
Attachment 128872

Rockcrawler 03-10-2010 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEDROCKZ (Post 2349329)
But my favorite so far is the Team Orion Quickset. No shims to fiddle with on the arm.

That is nice!

EeePee 03-10-2010 03:05 PM

Shipping does suck.

That's nice, I see those two screws set the arm in place. Nice.

I use a plastic ring of some sort from I think a Tamiya parts tree. It fits really snug over the pinion gear side of the arm shaft. I use a washer on the comm side. That plastic piece is tight enough I have to use a tool to tap the end so everything falls into place and then I oil it all up good.

The Hudy seems beneficial because it can cut the long HH Puller motor arms.

killswitch 03-10-2010 03:08 PM

Eee Pee thats not uncommon at all for an Integy motor... but its normal for any armature that is assembled and tossed into a can without any kind of teching/ trueing. Ive seen the process of how the comm is actually installed on the arm and its just a press that rams the comm on... thats what gives them that lovely hourglass shape. The last integy arm I did was more "muffin top" shaped than hour glass. I bet there's only a cut or 2 left after i finally got it round. And it was their "pro" motor... pathetic.

TEDROCKZ 03-10-2010 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockcrawler (Post 2349337)
That is nice!

For $35 shipped real nice. Not hard to find a deal since the racing side has went brushless

This thing come with a 27t 9mm comm motor:?

TEDROCKZ 03-10-2010 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killswitch (Post 2349344)
Ive seen the process of how the comm is actually installed on the arm and its just a press that rams the comm on... .

Seen some where it looked like they used a 3lb hammer and an old socket.:mrgreen:

Rockcrawler 03-10-2010 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEDROCKZ (Post 2349348)
For $35 shipped real nice. Not hard to find a deal since the racing side has went brushless

This thing come with a 27t 9mm comm motor:?

:shock: If you see another one, grab it for me. :mrgreen:

I have to look at mine sometime. After I cut the comm on the puller motor, its trying to leave a small line in the comm's now.....almost like I chipped it or something.

EeePee 03-10-2010 03:21 PM

Cool. Big Jim wrote somewhere that they balance then cut, or cut then balance motors. I hope it's the latter, but I bet it's the former.

This one has a 27 turn in it, I use a 3 cell NiMH pack.

TEDROCKZ 03-10-2010 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockcrawler (Post 2349358)
:shock: If you see another one, grab it for me. :mrgreen:

I have to look at mine sometime. After I cut the comm on the puller motor, its trying to leave a small line in the comm's now.....almost like I chipped it or something.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#lathe-bits/=5zh7bo
or
http://www.mcmaster.com/#diamond-tip...e-bits/=65u0ts

The diamonds are super fragile, dropped mine last night, dead:evil:

TEDROCKZ 03-10-2010 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EeePee (Post 2349367)
Cool. Big Jim wrote somewhere that they balance then cut, or cut then balance motors. I hope it's the latter, but I bet it's the former.

This one has a 27 turn in it, I use a 3 cell NiMH pack.

Been looking for a balancer. Probably not gonna happen. Used @ $4000 for the Hiens stuff.

EeePee 03-10-2010 03:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Shims?

:mrgreen: