Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Cutting a motor commutator & motor tweaks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 12:43 AM   #981
dnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
Man Paul (Rock Hard) has been telling me that forever now. I need to go track one down.
Greg told me about it,works like a champ.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #982
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul View Post
Ok so no fiberglass on comm. I'll get some RE ones I guess. Lathes are too $$
Watch RCtech's for sale section. It is easy to find lathes for under $50.
Khador12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:17 AM   #983
Pebble Pounder

Hi all, I thought that I would post my collection of motor maintenance tools up including my latest buy. Been collecting stuff for a couple of months now and I think that I am officially addicted . I blame reading Big Jim`s motor guide and melting my brain .
I have owned a Shinwa motor dresser for 20 years, which enabled me to tune motors for RPM and Amp pull, but the rest of this kit I have got this year. With the advent of brushless motors, we seem to be the minority now using brushed motors that require maintenance and or modifications.
First up is a rare beasty here in the United Kingdom, this is a Thunder RC motor magnet zapper, my latest purchase only got it this week. I did a 150 mile round trip to collect it as I decided that I didnt want to risk it being thrown around. And 3 gallon of fuel was a bit cheaper than sending a 26lb parcel. I have zapped a 35 turn motor that I had sitting and just zapping the magnets increased the amp pull off load from 1.5amps upto 2.5amps admittedly its a very old can but still thats pretty good.

Next up my Hudy Advanced comm lathe, came with a diamond cutting tip and the optional axial support. This has had some use since I got it, seems that lathing comm`s can be quite addictive.

My original Shinwa motor dresser, with an Integy motor dyno that I got from the guy who sold me the magnet zapper. Both useful bits of kit, as they allow you to alter RPM and monitor the amps drawn off load.

This is a Xipp brush cutter and brush serrator, fairly self explanatory this one. But It allows you to experiment with different cuts to the carbon brushes.

From left to right, Trinity Spring Thing this simple tool allows you to check the brush spring tension. The other items are Brush hood aligning tools and a brush spring post remover.

Finally a pair of Fussybrush.com brush cutters, these work differently to the Xipp as you install them into the motor housing and spin them with a pinion. Not used these yet as they came with the magnet zapper. They have different heads, one is for brush serration the other is for shaping the brush head. These aparently work better than the Xipp brush serrator.

Thats it for the time being or until I find something else obscure
igbandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:25 AM   #984
RCC Addict

Nice collection of tools
Hulksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:33 AM   #985
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by igbandy View Post
seems that lathing comm`s can be quite addictive.
Not so bad as to be on the TV show Intervention, but I was close.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:09 AM   #986
I wanna be Dave

Thumbs up

Nice collection...I'm sorta jealous...
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:23 AM   #987
I wanna be Dave

None of that stuff is very obscure, it was all fairly common stuff.

Thunder R/C sold a lot of zappers to the UK and other Euro countries.....they were very popular with the BCRA racers. Very nice score, it was the best zapper out there........make sure to get a compass or a magnet polarity checker (pm me for a link to one). I prefer the magnet checker by far though........thing is way nicer than a dumb compass.

The alignment bar with the black thing on it looks like the trinity unit, but there were similar units out there. The blue bar and spring post wrench, were originally imported by me unit to the USA, until Much More started bringing them in. They are both made by KOSE.....they made a ton of cool stuff and still do....

The fussy brush stuff is used a lot different than the xipp serrator/cutter....be careful though, as the fussy brush stuff was only designed for 7.5mm and 9mm comms.....

The motor dresser is cool stuff. I had one when I was a kid and I have the lesser unit still today. Peter (who owns Rc-trim) and I were gonna put a wrap on it and call it the super secret motor checker for brushless and he was gonna put it on his pit table at snowbirds to generate consiparcy theories.....ran out of time to make the wrap though.

Charlie-III, if yer jealous now.....wait till I post my tools and equipment. I am pretty sure its unrivaled by anything As soon as the room is reorganized, pics will go up.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:23 AM   #988
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
Charlie-III, if yer jealous now.....wait till I post my tools and equipment. I am pretty sure its unrivaled by anything As soon as the room is reorganized, pics will go up.

Later EddieO
Dude, I'm sure you will trump many people out there.
I have a "home brewed" motor dyno my step father & I use.
Dyno's are great......for before/after comparisons (I NEVER compare one dyno to another.......too many variables......I also do modding on automotive......)

I'm fairly basic, have been doing electric RC for ~31 years......I could go nuts, but the "nut behind the stick" is 95% of the game.....

I will be getting a matched set of 40T motors from you soon (me & my kid eat a lot of cash) so I can send in my Checkpoint motors for rebuild. I just bought a matched set of 35T motors for my kids MOA.

Please don't tell my better 1/2......
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:27 PM   #989
I wanna be Dave

Dynos of the same type can be compared to each other fairly reliable.....the turbodyno, though the best for motors, is probably the worst at comparing dyno to dyno, which is mainly due to the slave motor condition and type. The Fantom and Robi can be compared pretty consistent. I have 5 robis and they all are pretty much spot on with each other.....my two fantoms are the same way, even though one fantom is a much older model....

Later EddieO
Old 05-15-2011, 04:57 AM   #990
Pebble Pounder

Here in the UK, I asked around alot of places looking for the Thunder zapper and I practically drew a blank. Until I stumbled on this unit, I am glad its the best one it is a 12volt version.

The black brush hood aligner is the trinity one. Got this in a deal a week after I got the much more aligner and post remover from new .
igbandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:07 AM   #991
I wanna be Dave

I think most of the units shipped overseas were 12 volts, as if I remember correctly, there was some issue with many of the countries of sending the unit in at 110v and making them 220 was a cost issue..........some crap like that....there was also an issue about shipping generator coils for 110/220v use to certain countries, but at 12v was no big deal....so almost all units that went there were 12v. I know Micheal had a few euro guys pick up zappers from snowbirds and take back with them on the plane to get around the problems of shipping them.

Later EddieO
Old 05-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #992
I wanna be Dave

Found a little score today! Been looking for the OG Fussy Brush set-up and EddieO hooked me up. Took some leg twisting but I finally got him to dig them out. I've about collected all of the OG brushed motor tools now...

Oh yeah! Almost forgot picked up some new 5 segment motors to play with as well Ceramic bearings, pretty heatsinks, really good springs....
More info to come......
TEDROCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:57 AM   #993
Rock Crawler

Nice!
Those new motors going in my new rig?
Speedracer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:03 PM   #994
I wanna be Dave

Also picked up 6 OG KR motors for the cans. These are getting as hard to find as chicken teeth
Anyone need any racing armatures????

Old 05-25-2011, 12:04 PM   #995
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedracer19 View Post
Nice!
Those new motors going in my new rig?
No your rig has new skewed comms in it

Skewed armatures!!! Long as night shift....doh

Last edited by TEDROCKZ; 05-25-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:05 PM   #996
I wanna be Dave

Skewed arms....skewed comms just mess with timing.

Later EddieO
Old 05-25-2011, 12:08 PM   #997
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
Skewed arms....skewed comms just mess with timing.

Later EddieO
Damn it I meant armatures
Old 05-25-2011, 12:14 PM   #998
I wanna be Dave

Tonight I am gonna rearrange my personal fussy brush kit. Its one of a kind....Dwayne made it just for me....

Later EddieO
Old 05-25-2011, 12:38 PM   #999
I wanna be Dave

Got the 5's installed, waiting on a pack or two to charge.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:03 PM   #1000
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

You will love them! Skewed arms drive pretty nice too. They are just a pain and a half to wind and have lower copper cross section.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/223989-cutting-motor-commutator-motor-tweaks.html
Posted By For Type Date
Hiilimoottorin kunnostaminen This thread Refback 10-04-2011 03:19 PM