RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Cutting a motor commutator & motor tweaks (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/223989-cutting-motor-commutator-motor-tweaks.html)

EddieO 05-25-2011 01:06 PM

Skewed arms are a hell of a lot easier to wind than a 5 segment........and they don't look like a blind guy did it when yer done......

Lower copper what? The amount of copper on a skew is pretty much identical...I measured it out to the regular blanks and it was within a couple of mm...

Post some pics of your skewed arms, would love to see em...

Later EddieO

JohnRobHolmes 05-25-2011 02:07 PM

Skewed arms have less volume perpendicular to the angle of the skew, just like a slanted parking space. While the opening of the slot is the same size, the right angle measurement from the leg is smaller which is important since wire fill is also perpendicular to the skew. Using basic trig, a slanted armature of 10 degrees drops from 5.07mm space to 5mm perpendicular space. Maybe not a huge deal for some wire sizes, but it is an issue.

I don't have any 3 slot skewed arms left, that was years back and I don't keep used up arms. I have some 7 slot ones here still.

EddieO 05-25-2011 02:33 PM

Its very little issue on our arms.....all the standard stuff fits....have not tried the HHK wires on everything but most fit too.......so its a moot issue. When trinity released them back with the D5, there was not a single wind we could not do with them......everything fit, even 15 awg on a 7t.

Later EddieO

EeePee 05-25-2011 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEDROCKZ (Post 3109992)
Took some leg twisting but I finally got him to dig them out.:mrgreen:

Leg twisting? Pfff, all I did was ask. :mrgreen:

Though I see you got more than one bit, I have a serrated 9 mil bit. (I think it's 9)

The thing works awesome and quickly.

TEDROCKZ 05-25-2011 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EeePee (Post 3110255)
Leg twisting? Pfff, all I did was ask. :mrgreen:

You gots pull though!:mrgreen:

BTW Eddie the new Team Br00d Apocalypse 5 segments are pretty sweet. "thumbsup"

EddieO 05-25-2011 03:43 PM

Didn't I send you the fixed unit Eeepee? Or was it the unit with different bits?

Later EddieO

EeePee 05-25-2011 04:35 PM

I got a non fixed unit (that sounds funny) and one bit, and I think you said it's the biggest one you had. It doesn't fit between some hoods on some endbells.

TEDROCKZ 05-25-2011 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEDROCKZ
BTW Eddie the new Team Br00d Apocalypse 5 segments are pretty sweet. "thumbsup"

Did I mention these were sweet? Ran a couple more packs through them and I'm impressed. Good job Eddie. Now get those winders awinding:ror:

TEDROCKZ 05-25-2011 04:59 PM

Eddie or whoever, you know what these springs are comparable to. They are off the Kr motors I bought. Copper colored. All 6(motors) are the same...
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/a...oodyday005.jpg
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/a...dyday006-1.jpg

EddieO 05-25-2011 05:05 PM

They are like a 9.5 oz spring....pretty soft for crawling. We only used them for offroad much....too soft for most onroad too.

Later EddieO

TEDROCKZ 05-25-2011 05:19 PM

To the can with them......:ror:

Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieO (Post 3110466)
They are like a 9.5 oz spring....pretty soft for crawling. We only used them for offroad much....too soft for most onroad too.

Later EddieO

EddieO 05-25-2011 05:35 PM

Bend em and use a fiddlestick dummy....

Later EddieO

TEDROCKZ 05-25-2011 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieO (Post 3110527)
fiddlestick dummy

I have just the regular fiddlestick! Not the fiddlestick dummy version. :flipoff:

EeePee 05-25-2011 07:20 PM

I've been using 7.0 springs more recently, I don't want that copper getting worn off too quickly.

TEDROCKZ 05-25-2011 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EeePee (Post 3110700)
I've been using 7.0 springs more recently, I don't want that copper getting worn off too quickly.

How is that going to happen? You never run the darned things anymore. :ror:

ittybitty 05-25-2011 09:28 PM

See...its working!

Ted...and Eddie...tell me something here...

I've read several places that the KR cans are nice for their 4 magnets...providing a nice SMOOTH startup and low speed control. How much different is the drag brake with these cans compared to the standard Brood can? I know the brushes and springs, and just about every part play into this...but assuming you're running as many of the same parts as possible what is the result? Is it negligible?

EddieO 05-25-2011 10:37 PM

I guess that depends what you call the standard brood can?

The apocalypse is the same teardown everyone else sells....made by sagami, two magnets, etc etc.

The creep, originally was based on the PT teardown which is very close to a KR, except it has a few more vents ....so a tad less steel....one could argue better low speed and more power than a KR, but slightly less torque and drag brake......all my testing has shown the KR has the same low speed, but better torque and drag brake.

However, I am out of the old PT teardowns.....I had 1000+.....they lasted me about a 18 months....so, I ordered the sagami teardown with quad magnets.....all testing shows it to be very similar to a KR in performance....it is the new creep...

To the naked eye, the new Creep and the Apocalypse will look identical unless you look inside to see the magnets....

Later EddieO

TEDROCKZ 05-27-2011 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EeePee (Post 3092314)
Not so bad as to be on the TV show Intervention, but I was close. :mrgreen:

Pretty bad when you start pulling motors of lathes to have something to turn on another lathe. Got 5 lathes here and they are all getting overhauled. Bored!:ror:

Crawlernoobie 05-29-2011 05:14 PM

Some great light reading in this thread... Not sure how much ill remember tho. Im just wondering if i got in over my head to go brushed

EeePee 05-29-2011 05:26 PM

Brushed is the way of the crawler. You can be like the majority and just run the motor and replace it when it fails. Or be like the people that get the idea of this thread and take care of what you have.